Introducing the Liberty Phone

Thank you @Privacy2. I just fixed that.

By the way who (or what AI?) is making those awesome profile sketches they are great, better than Animoji :wink:!

1 Like

That is beautiful art from David Revoy. No AI here :wink:

5 Likes

In the world of the authoritarian government? In the world of the surveillance capitalist? But I know what you meant. :wink:

OK, I see how my comments could be confusingā€¦ Maybe this will be more clear: I think Liberty is ā€œFir USAā€.

So, it follows that when Evergreen motherboards on-hand/already-ordered run out, then they get China-assembled motherboardsā€¦ and people can order a Fir (not-USA) for $200 more than Evergreen (same markup as Fir USA (Liberty).

I hope that is more understandableā€¦ and that everyone remembers that this is pure speculation.

Edit: Ah! Now I see the Francois reply. Sounds like marketing to me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, so until I see an official announcement for Fir, Iā€™ll stick with my speculation. Either way, Iā€™m glad Purism is doing this and Iā€™ m happy with my L5.

i happy too. :wink:

Let me refine my rhetorical question a bit then:
In what world is the true definition of the word liberty a bad thing?

I too am happy with my L5. Iā€™d be happier with more storage and RAM, so the Liberty Phone is very tempting.

1 Like

Why canā€™t I get Olive Oyl singing ā€œIf I weā€™re Pres - I - dent.ā€ song out of my head? Ā© 1948.

1 Like

I honestly find this to be a pretty good upgrade (at least from my perspective). Iā€™ve been needing to put all of my flatpaks on an sd card so I donā€™t run out of space and that makes them really slow to loadā€¦

Though that priceā€¦ Granted the Librem 5ā€™s current price is quite a bit higher than what I paid. Still, canā€™t afford this any time soon.

My initial reaction to the name was similar to others. However, reflecting on that; this reaction kinda reminds me of the 1984 ā€œWar is Peace, Freedom is slavery, Ignorance is Truthā€, with the theme of believing in contradictory things. Really what I want from my phone is control of it, which is effectively Liberty (The freedom to do what I want with my phone). Thus the name is very fitting, and an interesting reflection on society where the word liberty has negative connotations at least in terms of product naming.

I believe the cause is largely as especiallydirect mentioned, the similar words have been used by people trying to take advantage of those concerned about privacy. If words such as Freedom and Liberty gain negative connotations beyond product naming, that would be concerningā€¦

Sorry, went a little off topic there

2 Likes

ā€¦ and the big outstanding question: will the same upgraded specs be offered for the Librem 5 non-USA?

Would I have paid an extra, say, US$100? US$200? 6 years ago for the upgraded specs? Quite possibly yes.

I would suppose that Purism first needs to clear the backlog and then perhaps also sell down the remaining inventory.

I think itā€™s a good upgrade to the specs of the Librem 5 USA because, letā€™s face it, the Librem 5 USA is asking a really really premium price but the specs didnā€™t compare well at all with top of the line phones from the surveillance companies. So for a relative small percentage increase in price, Purism can at least make the specs move a little in the direction of being more competitive, and move quite a lot in comparative terms relative to the previous specs. So for me this is good bang for your buck. Of course I understand that the price reflects other factors and that the offering is about much more than specs.

I think that some people may have concerns about excessive patriotism, even jingoism. So it walks a fine line. Samuel Johnson: Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. 1

I do also wonder what the Librem 5 is if the Librem 5 USA is the Librem 5 Liberty. Is the Librem 5 the Librem 5 Authoritarian? Librem 5 Non-Liberty? :wink: Maybe needs to rebrand as ā€œLibrem 5 Freedomā€?

1 Quoting from wikiquote, it goes on to say

But let it be considered, that he did not mean a real and generous love of our country, but that pretended patriotism which so many, in all ages and countries, have made a cloak of self-interest.

5 Likes

Definitely, no different from the Librem 14 4-cell to 3-cell battery transition, or the Redpine to SparkLAN module replacement. When it does eventually happen, I am certain the previous RAM and eMMC capacities will no longer be used by default, although I expect the price to increase further as a result.

By the way, the Librem 5 USA seems to be discontinued/delisted from the website and store.

4 Likes

IF you want more processing power get a laptop or desktop.

So they released the same phone with more storage with larger RAM and bumped the price by $200. This is waste of resources. The software is still immature. The user experience with this phone will not be any better than current L5.

1 Like

:-1:

Post must be at least 10 charsā€¦

3 Likes

I expect software development has continued and will continue, regardless of any hardware changes or additions.

4 Likes

Fact: Some customers are already complaining that their eMMC drive is close to full or indeed full, mainly due to flatpaks (which is reflective of other issues but ā€¦).

So, for some customers, the increased storage would make a difference.

RAM? Harder to say but I think if a significant use case is ā€œconvergenceā€ then RAM could be an issue. If you use your phone like a laptop / desktop then you are more likely to be running resource-hungry applications and more of them.

Iā€™m unconvinced that this would be a difficult change (:rofl: famous last words). The change of eMMC is presumably a straight replacement of one input part for another.

Walking and chewing gum comes to mind.

This would really only be relevant if the hardware changes were going to necessitate significant software changes.

(In the desktop world, Iā€™ve done both disk upgrades and RAM upgrades and you just shutdown, remove old part, insert new part, boot - and the software automatically adapts, no software or configuration change needed.)

6 Likes

I already have the Librem 14 for that. I am simply specifying my conditions for spending another $2,000 USD or more on another Purism product in a mobile form factor.

1 Like

Given that their pick and place machine for the USA assembly line is in their building and under their control, I imagine that it was fairly simple to replace a few parts and validate the result.

You have to press all three Hardware Kill Switches off. It also helps with internal monologues :wink:

2 Likes

That clip in the cartoon where Cupid uses a machine gun to shoot love arrows at Republican elephants and Democrat donkeys is classic. (We need that today.)

2 Likes