Is Linux Always the Answer? (Librem 5 video)

Yeah, seems like the software was never updated and that phone was still running the image from November (the video also showed issues like jumpy scrolling in gtk that are long gone by now).

5 Likes

@user1 FYI

Because of how fast this deviceā€™s OS is being built, I canā€™t trust a review of this product. Any recent, comprehensive view of the product?
Edit: Please do not link me to a hackergame video as there is clearly a conflict of interest with him working for the company.

Not that Iā€™ve seen around no, though Iā€™d love to be proven wrong!

If you want to see it in operation, watch Purismā€™s videos, including the First Walkthrough.

If you want information on how well it works, keep reading the Librem5 forum. There are also first impressions on reddit.

Sure. Check back in two months for a review covering the current software state :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously though, Purism is not to blame if they donā€™t update. Write Anthony to re-do his videoā€¦

Hey, marketing department, free slogan suggestion:
ā€œOrder your Librem 5 now - the only phone that gets updated faster than reviewers can keep up with!ā€

5 Likes

Exactly lol

To be fair: Iā€™m not a nerd and L5 in current stage it is all I need. I just hate how big tech companies (and pro surveillance politicians) are acting. And I hate what potential of technology is wasted by common products.

Again, I want an in depth review, not ā€˜first impressionsā€™. Even if such a thing came from purism, I would ignore it and wait for an independent reviewer due to the bias the company would have about their products so they would try to show it to be better than it is. Same reason I wouldnā€™t trust an apple device just because apple said itā€™s all good.
edit:

Pretty gud.

get Appleā€™s CEO to do an in-depth-review of the El Cinque ā€¦ thatā€™ll take balls

1 Like

I agree that would be better, but so far even established Linux reviewers who have the phone in their hands havenā€™t done an in-depth dive into it. Theyā€™ve only either shown it coming out of its pretty box and praised it up and down just because it exists, or expressed confusion and disappointment after only a few taps without even, apparently, having done any research on the device first, or even downloaded the latest updates for it.

Right now the owners in this forum are probably the best source of detailed information. And Purismā€™s videos are the only in-depth presentation by video of its features. So what Iā€™m saying is, start with that while weā€™re still waiting for an actual review to materialize on the internet. Because you, the potential buyer, need to inform yourself about it prior to the review, just as the reviewer needs to know all about it before reviewing it.

Hopefully the first such review will be from someone who understands the purpose of this phone, and not just someone who questions why we need another mobile OS on the planet.

2 Likes

I think what Iā€™d want is a techi to review it after only hearing of free software a little and never hearing of the product yet and compare pros and cons on a chart after x amount of usage on phoneā€™s A, B and C. Iā€™d also want someone thatā€™s been living under a rock to try out each and being told by someone the philosophy behind each.

1 Like

I donā€™t know what that means rec :laughing:

El Cinque is L5 (El five < L5 < Librem 5) ā€¦ :wink:

Depends, are you trying to emulate Spanish or Italian?

Spanish would be Ele cinco.

Italian would be Il cinque.

I suspect Spanish, but if you wanted to add a definite article it would be ā€œEl ele cincoā€ which sounds odd even in Spanish but is more correct.

5 Likes

I suspect that we wonā€™t get decent reviews until some of the people on this forum start to get the L5.

Iā€™ve decided that I am going to have to write my own review when I get the phone, because none of the reviewers seem to care about the issues that I find so fascinating about the phone, like how it is designed to fight planned obsolescence, how unique is the design of Phosh, how it is the most innovative phone since 2014, and how it uses 6 chips instead of one integrated mobile SoC.

8 Likes

I think that will be the case for the first few mobile Linux projects, itā€™s a shift in the normal use case mindset with a lot of facets to cover; looking forward to hearing your take on things once your shipment shows up!

I go back to Antonyā€™s L5 video again to see the comments, and many peoples says that Antony is the best Linux reviewer, for me Antony is nothing. I am looking forward for @amosbatto L5 reviewer video. :slight_smile:

1 Like

what about Spanglish ?

The ShortCircuit channel is doing unboxings not reviews! For really good or awaited or some sponsored products or products that make a great video, theyā€™ll do a proper reviews/video on Linus Tech Tips channel - their main channel.

Unboxing are just unboxings. Not reading the manuals and other boring stuff beforehand. Almost zero preparations. It really shows the very first impressions of the product as it comes out of the box.

So make sure you understand the concept before blaming or belittling the unboxer.