Issue with playing music from Micro SD (Solved)

And such is the majesty of open source.

Is anyone trying to upstream the changes to Silverjuke? Otherwise you will come to grief on the next update, one way or another.

You really want more flexibility within Silverjuke so that it can be configured for the unusually lethargic uSD card reader in the Librem 5, while not changing anything for anyone else.

1 Like

I was thinking about that too.
I’m going to see into that.

Amazing!! Good job.

Setting up a build environment is never problem free, for when the application already exists in Debian based distro’s world Debian’s tools make it relatively painless to get up and running with a basic setup quite quickly.

Silverjuke appears to be an abandoned project, the last release was over 4 years ago and the only activity between then and now looks to be a single commit to add a language translation around two years ago. While part of me thinks the issue should be logged with the project so if ever the project is picked up again they’ll have a record of the issue, the other part me thinks, who has the time and what’s the point of submitting issues to an abandoned project?

The patches I’ve put forward, although address the issue, I don’t consider them to be a full fix that merits any upstreaming, if it were my own project I would take a different approach to resolving this issue but it would also be far more involved. These patches are far from “the path of least resistance” but they are also not what I would consider “upstream ready”.

Many media payers have user configurable buffers, I’ve seen a few players on Android that have an option something along the lines of “Enable read ahead for slow SD cards”. Part of a full fix, for me, would extend to implementing some form of buffer user setting(s).

1 Like

OK, fair enough, I didn’t realise that. There’s no risk of a “next update” then. :wink: