Just Got A Mini!

Yes, Visual Studio Code is open source, light-weight, and supports MANY more programming languages than the bloated proprietary Visual Studio. :wink: This is what makes Visual Studio Code so popular, since you don’t have to learn another IDE from language to language to language and only have to load the extensions that you need at any given time to avoid bloat.

This is why I taught my daughter how to use Visual Studio Code in high school, so now that she started her 4 year computer science degree in college, she has a distinct advantage over those in her class who are using the toy development tools while they learn Python programming. :wink: She actually did have to use Visual Studio this past summer during her internship where she had to web develop some Typescript and AngularJS but she quickly understood how she could do the same in Visual Studio Code.

So, learning Visual Studio Code is VERY doable at an early age and I’d highly recommend it over any proprietary tools, since I personally paid for a JetBrains full subscription for many years and don’t miss it one bit since switching to Visual Studio Code both practically and philosophically; i.e. proprietary vs open source. :wink:

AFAIC, the only good reason to learn C# is to learn how to reverse-engineer it to either replace it with a better solution (e.g. Golang, Rust, etc.) or determine how it can be exploited (for defensive purposes of course). :wink: And, let’s not forget that the ONLY reason why C# even exists was because Sun sued Microsoft over Java.

FWIW, after writing Java for 26+ years (since v0.8!) I’d prefer to use much better solutions (e.g. Golang and Rust) and although I’ve avoided Python for all these years, I can see it’s a pretty good 1st year computer science language to learn, since even MIT starts them out in Python (much better than Pascal that I learned as cs freshman!).

That said, I’m a firm believe in learning low-level languages (C/C++ and now Rust) and concepts ASAP for real computer science education and experience. :wink:

ICYMI there are TONS of opportunities out there without needing to learn C#, Typescript, or even Java and if I were just starting out, I’d recommend learning Python, Golang, Rust, and C/C++ if need be.

YMMV

1 Like

Keep in mind that the mini is not for win11, if they make a really hard requirement for tpm 2 it will fail to install since it lacks a TPM. Right now it works as MS paddled back a little, but not much. It installes, but I think you are not guaranteed updates and so on. Maybe its like running an unverified windows :slight_smile:

in any case, be nice to your mini and use pure os or fedora or your favorite unix clone disto :slight_smile: