L5 basic suport

Bluetooth works with some devices and doesn’t work with other devices.

Ignoring the bogus readings of 85°C what readings are you seeing?

During charging, if the temperature actually gets too high then charging will be temporarily disabled and the red charging light will be flashing instead of steady. Are you seeing that behaviour?

1 Like

Interesting quote. Please can you explain it more detailed? Can’t find info on internet. And why no one today smartphone uses it?

Is it possible to change flashlight colour?

1 Like

Yes. But the volume stays low; I mean the max volume level is lower than others phone. If the environment it’s noisy , in my case it’s difficult to follow the call

Unfortunately it seems is not possible to buy and ship in Italy. Looking the pictures it seems the plug seems to be US type.

1 Like

Yes it seems that stops to charge. But it seems also that it doesn’t to charge it again when the temperature is low again. I had to disconnect form the plug and connect it again to start to recharge.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, the volume for the call speaker is different from the normal speaker. Thus one needs to use the volume buttons during a call.

Thanks Steve and yes; but the max volume level is not particularly high. At least is lower that other phones

Pulseaudio can help. You can try this command;
$ pactl set-sink-volume 0 +3%

where 0 represents the sink i.e. speaker number (Phone speaker or headset) and +3 represents the % by which volume is to be increased.

You may refer this Arch wiki for detailed commands and explanation around them; https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PulseAudio/Examples

1 Like

OK. That’s it. I removed my SIM from L5 and temporarily quit it as a phone. I will continue to use it as a mobile PC maybe. I bought a Nokia 8110, a “banana” phone as a temporary replacement of L5 for basic usage as a phone.

So many people hang up on me and try to find a landline to talk, so I can not torture people anymore.

I do not want to blame Purism for this and I certainly do not want to put any blame on people that develop for L5. They are a great team. However, I can not communicate with L5 as phone. And more than that, as long as I was in Athens, Greece, GPS was locating me with an error of 50 to 100 meters. Today I returned to my island and the GPS can not understand that I am not in Athens anymore.

In any case, the phone as a phone is my problem (and not the GPS). Was expecting a call all day yesterday to discover late in the night that the modem was not working and I had to flip the HKS. But in the end I did missed that important for me call.

So now on Nokia 8110, last new piece in Greece (I think), I already miss L5 although this Nokia is very iconic because of Matrix, but at least people understand what I am telling them.

I will keep watching this forum for news and improvements about L5. I really hope it gets to a better state as a phone sooner than later.

3 Likes

I’ve got to say that the usefulness of the OP 's phone is a worry. My phone is still a long way off (ordered Sept 2019), which is good as it will allow for further development, bad for the length of time between order and delivery however.

I think that the phone is now over $1000 to order? Mine was $699. At either price point I’d be looking to use this as my main phone. I am not filled with confidence by this owner’s experience, but, as Mick Jagger said, time is on my side. Its still not great.

1 Like

Does this mean that the adjustments with the vol+ and vol- buttons is bad calibrated?

1 Like

I think (as non-expert) that any replacement for the original Librem 5 power supply should not go out of this main power controller range, coding/protocol range actually (probably not easy to be found, less protocols supported is better option toward solution, as PD2.0 only Type-C port not easy to find either):

For example (and although I don’t have one) Aliexpress offers this power supply, but which Infineon CoolMOS™ chip is built in I cannot even guess, yet at least narrow down which kind of PD technology/controller it supports.

And, I’d like to make this post list short, simply try (should be easier to find): “Apple’s new 18W USB-C PD, A1695 AC adapter”. Just my few thoughts, adding that preferably any power supply controller inside of this replacement should be USB-IF approved, at least, yet not confirming any kind of on my wish list compatibility with minimum requirement you are looking into, all while your original power supply lost.

Also, only 5V chargers should (at least temporarily) serve the purpose as well, therefore: https://www.powercubes.eu/en/product/usbcube-original-usb-ac-black/ (I’d expect it supports dedicated charging port only on it, known as DCP coding, but don’t know for real). DCP (BC1.2) related info: “It is allowed to draw more than 1.5A from this standard, if the connectors are rated for it and the power supply can deliver.

Edit: PD3.0 only (without other protocols involved) power supply (actually hub) that I know of (involves one port only) is PD/HUB Type-C port (18W) from this device:

That ZDSHB01 device is working well with Librem 5 is confirmed here: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/firmware-tps6598x-nonfree/-/blob/master/dp-alt-mode-adapters.org.

P.S. Just do not think that middle Type-C port (30W) is the one to be used with Librem 5, yet and if of any interest, I can still upload this port charging protocols as well?

Somewhat not recommended up to this Amazon review: “The charger crashes on voltage-to-voltage transitions.

1 Like

That is why i ONLY recommend usb-if verified charger, so maybe this charger it has a fake usb-if certification or errata. A genuine USB PD charger is commonly expensive.
The Librem 5 charger it a genuine product to meaning not a cheap charger and cable, but it support only low voltage so not compat with Libre 14.

1 Like

Thanks buzz.
I’m not sure if it really works. I tried to set 10% but I’m not sure the hear a change. Anyway, thank you very much for help. :pray:

Can you try with some higher value say, 50% or 75%?

3 Likes

It works. Now a deaf person can hear it. Thank you very much buzz :pray:

1 Like

of course it does :smiley:

Just be careful not to crank the volume way too high. I use it upto 300% on my Thinkpad with Manjaro. But since we are dealing with phone speakers so not sure what number can be considered as “too high”.

I think you are right buzz. Probably set a value between 50 and 75% as you suggested is enough