L5 Items that still need to be polished mentioned in various other blogs Oct 2023

I was mostly talking about the automated start of backup function while performing a manually initiated update. Since my backup start is automated and in the background if it is inhibited it would just try again when there is no inhibit and it does try again when you manually cancel the automated backup. You can still start it manually, and I agree even with inhibit if you started it manually it should do what you ask it to do (but if it is automatic then it should not), or at least attempt to do the backup and upgrade.

2 Likes

In general, interoperability with external hardware should be improved.
The librem5 is too picky about what hardware it works with:

• WiFi
  • Bluetooth
  • USB-C

When it runs then often not flawlessly, at least not with my hardware (headphones, keyboard, access point, USB hub)

1 Like

The one thing I wish the L5 supported was international calling, when I use the same sim card in an iphone I can place international calls, when I put it in the L5 no international calls are possible, that makes it very challenging when your family or some of your family lives abroad. I wish there was more urgency on this.

That is weird. I can make an international phone call without any problem (tested within the EU).

1 Like

I get the sense that all of us experience different issues; some of us are lucky and experience none.

2 Likes

And that is concerning. It means that today Iā€™m lucky but have no guarantee for the future.

2 Likes

How are things with the sim card tray not coming out of the phone. Is there a solution yet? I gave up trying because I do not want to damage anything.

1 Like

You can eject the SIM card tray using the removal tool, or potentially a toothpick. Just ensure your device is turned off before you perform the procedure so that your SIM card does not get short-circuited/fried during the process.

I also had this problem and I was afraid Iā€™d break something by just applying force. Support told me to wiggle the tray, something I so far hadnā€™t had any success with. But since that was the official solution, I decided to try again and this time for real.

My SIM was stuck in a position where I could not grab the tray itself, only the outer black part that has some play. Therefore I made myself a simple tool by slitting a piece of stiff plastic, so that I could reach behind the outer part.

Then I used the tool to wiggle the tray while alternating between mostly pulling and sometimes pushing. It took a while, but eventually the tray did come out.

Finally, before inserting the tray again, I rounded off the back side edges of the SIM card (my thinking being that maybe they were catching on something). My tray now easily slides in and out, as it should.

Edit: My SIM was delivered as a bigger card with smaller form factors pre-cut. It could be that it was too thick even though I got the correct outline of a nano SIM. These are 0.1 mm thinner than other SIMs.

2 Likes

Good going!
I also managed to solve this one.
A while back I picked up one of these old school feeler gauges that are used to measure tiny gaps between objects, for instance when tuning a carā€™s ignition. (For fifty cents at the thrift store.)
After unlocking the tray with the pointy tool that came with the L5, I inserted the thinnest but one blade in the slot on the side where the sim card sits in the tray (toward the back of the phone). That way, the sim card does not get stuck behind the inner workings of the phone. Had the tray out within seconds.

7 Likes

So letā€™s hope that Purism supplies feeler gauges with their phones nowā€¦lol.

5 Likes

The blade that does the job is something like 0.1mm ā€˜thickā€™. Can easily be included it in the box, or mailed in a regular envelope.

3 Likes

I would want the full set so I can set the gap on the sparkplugs on my chainsawsā€¦

3 Likes