Latest gnome-calls very unstable

Are the ALSA platforms supposed to be suspended? Because they still are after a reboot.

These lists look fine to me with nothing unusual. Yes, it is normal to see the sources and sinks listed as “SUSPENDED” when not in use, they will go IDLE for a short period of time and then if not being used will go to SUSPENDED.

I’m going from memory but I’m reasonably sure that if there were any straggling echo-cancellation streams they would’ve been destroyed when disconnecting the headset so that may be why you are not seeing them in the list.

Does audio get restored after a reboot? Or if using the phone’s own internal mics and speakers?

After a reboot usually, yes. This last time I didn’t get any call audio with internal mics and speakers when I tried placing a new call (before the reboot).

You might get away with killing Pulseaudio rather than rebooting…

killall pulseaudio

Pulseaudio will be restarted pretty much immediately, if that restores audio then it may help narrow down the issue.

I will try that. Also found this bug where it is suggested to run callaudiocli -m 1 to restore audio.

The latest calls (44.alpha.0) is very unstable. Sometimes it does not stop the ringing although the call has been answered and is in progress. Sometimes it crashes. Sometimes it answers a call and its window dissapears, the call continues but you have no access to controls (like hangup) unless you re-click on calls to restart.

Very annoying. How do I revert to previous version which was very stable?

1 Like

I cd to /var/cache/apt/archives and
sudo apt-get install ./gnome-calls_43~beta.0-1pureos1_arm64.deb

Did not find another way (no option in package manager to downgrade)

I have as installed 44-alpha too, but in /var/cache/apt/archives only 41.1, 41-rc and 42-alpha, but no 43-beta. Why?

sudo apt install packagename=version

and use

apt list -a packagename

in the first place to find what versions are available.

No it does not work. apt list -a gnome-calls shows only the installed version and the versions available for upgrade. Not the possible installable versions. Not older versions.

@guru most probably you did not install the 43 version. You skipped from 42-alpha to 44-alpha.

I do not know in this case where from you could get the 43~beta which is good.

I can’t imagine. I do every day, sometimes more than one time, a sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade. The last modification time of the gnome-calls files in the archive a somewhat crazy:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 281216 Oct  4  2021 gnome-calls_41~rc-1pureos2_arm64.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 211652 Nov  9  2021 gnome-calls_41.1-1pureos1_arm64.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 227824 Dec 15  2021 gnome-calls_42~alpha.0-1pureos1_arm64.deb

purism@pureos:/var/cache/apt/archives$ ls -ld /var/cache/apt/archives
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 73728 Dec 19 09:25 /var/cache/apt/archives

The modification time of the dir /var/cache/apt/archives is correct (yesterday).

Yes, looks like a regression. I hade phone calls working pretty well until the latest upgrade. Now the ringing continues, even after the calling party hangs up, until I do killall gnome-calls.
I am in the same boat as @guru with 44-alpha, and no older version in /var/cache/apt/archives.

1 Like

I have updated my other L5 which I haven’t used for some weeks. Around ~30 pkg have been update and there I’ve in the archive dir:

purism@pureos:~$ ls -l /var/cache/apt/archives/gnome-calls*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 260368 Oct 11 17:31 /var/cache/apt/archives/gnome-calls_43.0-1pureos1_arm64.deb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 268132 Dec 11 04:32 /var/cache/apt/archives/gnome-calls_44~alpha.0-1pureos1_arm64.deb

@tomoqv, I could place the 43.0 hidden on my web server. Just contact me with PM.

1 Like

Downgrading to 43.0-1 resolved the problem for me. I must say I find it a bit strange that untested alpha software gets updated through the Purism software store, especially important software like gnome-calls.

6 Likes

Save file

https://damo.math.aegean.gr/~atsol/gnome-calls_43~beta.0-1pureos1_arm64.deb

and then

sudo apt-get install ./gnome-calls_43~beta.0-1pureos1_arm64.deb

+1

(The forum wants at least 10 chars on reply, so here they are)

OK, try

ls -lt /var/log/apt/history.log*

Then, starting with the newest files …

For an uncompressed file

grep packagename file

For a compressed file (.gz)

zcat file | grep packagename

until you find the bad upgrade (which was presumably quite recent and won’t be hard to find).

New system upgrade available today and the non-working gnome-calls 44~alpha.0-1 lurking to upgrade.
Here is what to do to upgrade everything BUT gnome-calls:

sudo apt-mark hold gnome-calls
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

To restore upgrade of gnome-calls do:

sudo apt-mark unhold gnome-calls

2 Likes

Maybe it’s wise to let the update happen and see if the issue was fixed.

If you are a brave soul…