Leaving Wifi zone - data mobile does not work

Normally, I have Wifi and data mobile both enabled. both adapters wlan0 and wwan0 have an IP and routing is like that:

pureos:~$ netstat -rn
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
0.0.0.0         192.168.178.1   0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 wlan0
0.0.0.0         10.124.31.240   0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 wwan0
10.124.31.224   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.224 U         0 0          0 wwan0
192.168.178.0   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 wlan0

where 192.168.178.1 is my AP at home. When I now leave my Wifi zone wlan0 goes down and the above first routing goes away. But IP is not routed through data mobile, at least not for a long time. I found no other way to switch to routing through data mobile than waiting for a long time or do a reboot.

What can I do to force the switch to data mobile?

A basic troubleshooting question;

Did you confirmed that you have the correct APN settings of your carrier setup on the phone?

You can see the current APN settings in: Settings > Mobile > Access Point Names

The APN settings are fine and if I switch off Wifi, data mobile works fine. It does not work, if I leave any Wifi zone without switching off Wifi before. I.e. it does not switch by its own if Wifi gets lost.

I don’t have a Librem5 to test with, but maybe you could create an app/shortcut that takes the wifi interface down or demoves the default route that goes through the wifi router.

No need for this. One can pull down the above status line and tap the Wifi icon to switch off or on. But I think the L5 should do this by its own (as my Ubuntu mobile does), because you will not always think in this in advance and afterwards switching Wifi off does not help.

Mobian/Phosh does this, but not very well. Gnome Podcasts is not very frugal with bandwidth (constantly checking for new episodes) and lots of websites auto-reload (I have dozens of tabs open and forget to close the browser), so my mobile data was getting used up halfway through the month. I finally took to turning off mobile data at home because the wifi was connected, it would often route through mobile anyway. I wish we could turn off mobile data from the notification bar, like we can do with wifi.

At home with Wifi and data mobile, I never faced that data mobile was used. You can check this with an access to http://myip.nl

I always stop any unused app, esp. web and telegram to save power.

I’d like to have this feature, stop data mobile from status line too. I will file a bug issue later the day.

UPDATE: See https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/Phosh/phosh/-/issues/691

1 Like

On my Ubuntu mobile E4.5 you pull from the notification bar the four networks symbols (for the two SIMs, Roaming and for Wifi) and disable Cellular data by taping the green toggle switch:

1 Like