Librem 13 CPU changed from i7 to i5?!

Actually, the price didn’t change. The base price was set without any hard drive by default. People had to choose their hard drive on the order/configuration page. This was leading to confusion and most people required at least one hard drive so we now select a default drive for the base configuration.

1 Like

If you set both hard drives to “None”, and look at the bottom for the price of the Librem 15, it will show as $1,800. The price that it was before (and the price that I paid for a unit without a hard drive) was $1,599; that’s bascially a $200 difference, which is not accounted for by simply adding a $200 hard drive by default.

I understand price increases; there’s nothing wrong with that. I’m just trying to figure out why the price went up by $200.

In case my previous reply wasn’t completely clear, if I purchased a Librem 15 three weeks ago, and added a 250GB SSD (either m.2 or SATA; it doesn’t matter), then I would have only paid $1,798. Now, for the same setup, I would be paying $1,999 dollars. Even taking into account that the hard drives are now added by default, there is still a $200 discrepancy between the two prices.

If it’s true that the price has really not gone up, then I’m not sure why there’s a difference here.

1 Like

Well, I may be wrong then. I am not in the sales department so I don’t have all details. I may have answered too fast. You should have a better answer from @mladen.

1 Like

Decided to stick with it and go for the i7 model. Looking forward to get my hands on it

Has anyone who opted to accept the i5 model gotten shipping confirmation yet?

@DonAman, I think so yes. I just saw this on IRC :
<exul> Yay, just got my Librem 13, thank you puri.sm.

So shipping is in progress, some people are already receiving theirs, others should receive their laptops or their shipping notification soon (I expect every L13 i5 order will be shipped by the end of this week).

1 Like

@kakaroto that was 19 days ago. I have not received any notifications nor has my L13 i5 order turned up. I emailed ops yesterday but no response yet.

Purism has my money. Should I keep waiting; pay the extra for the i7 or cancel my order?

Yesterday was Sunday. :slight_smile: Someone from the ops team will reply to you during the day, don’t worry. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@tregeagle: yeah, that was my bad when I said “I expect it to all be shipped by the end of the week”, I just figured they’d ship everything very quickly, but that’s not the case, there’s a slow ramp up at the distrbution center for flashing coreboot, installing OEM images, doing QA testing, etc… orders are getting shipped, but at a slower rate than I expected. Unfortunately, there’s quite a lot of laptops to ship, so be patient, your turn will arrive soon enough.

2 Likes

Phew! Thanks for your reply.
I was starting to get antsy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you got a reply?

1 Like

I’m also wondering, since I’m still waiting for my i5 Librem 13 and it’s mid July, if the i7s will supposedly ship in August should I just upgrade to i7? The other major delay in my case seems to be the NVMe/Coreboot issue which I assume would affect the i7 model the same.

@hazybluedot You can contact ops @puri.sm to arrange this. I can manually check if your order is queued, contact me at support @puri.sm

1 Like