Librem 13 Screen Flicker / crash linked to wifi / kill switch

After reading a bit about the screen flickering issue caused by low PWM modulation frequencies I get the feeling that this is a completely different issue… @mladen Have you watched the videos I posted?

Btw, please delete or edit the obsolete Troubleshooting entry for Screen Flickering. enable_rc6 is no valid parameter for i915 anymore.

You can list all available module parameters with sudo modinfo i915. Parameter enable_rc6 is not listed there and if you add i915.enable_rc6=0 as kernel boot parameter all you get is this kernel message at boot time:

i915: unknown parameter ‘enable_rc6’ ignored

And then one more thing. To everyone who is trying out different module options (like me) to get rid of screen flickering: At least on a Librem13 v3 it makes no difference if you add the kernel parameter i915.enable_psr=0 because it is set to 0 by default (see this posting for an easy way to find out). modinfo i915 tells me that there’s a “per-chip default” in use, so for our chip the default seems to be 0.

Hi all,

It’s probably unrelated, and I didn’t try any fix mentioned above to see if that changed anything.

Today I have seen my L13v3 screen flicker when I was holding my phone over the laptop, in front of the screen.
I was in conversation using the speaker mode.
That was surprising.

Could that be some kind of EMI sensitivity ?

T.

1 Like

OK, I managed to fix that trivial bug in intel-gpu-tools and tested this. First thing I should mention: The bug is not only trivial but also irrelevant… When I tried sudo intel_reg read 0xC8254 in the beginning I got this:

Error: /usr/share/intel-gpu-tools/registers/gen8_interrupt.txt:1: (‘GEN8_MASTER_IRQ’, ‘0x00044200’, ‘’)
Error: /usr/share/intel-gpu-tools/registers/skylake:1: gen8_interrupt.txt
Warning: reading ‘/usr/share/intel-gpu-tools/registers/skylake’ failed. Using builtin register spec.
BLC_PWM_PCH_CTL2 (0x000c8254): 0x03a903a9 (freq 937, cycle 937)

After fixing the bug I get this:

(0x000c8254): 0x03a903a9 (freq 937, cycle 937)

Writing works as well, so “Using builtin register spec” seems to be good enough. I tried a lot of different PWM frequencies, it never made any difference – the flickering was just the same. @mladen Please remove the “Solution”-mark, I guess we’re back to square one.

While this perhaps won’t solve the screen flicker problem for the original poster, it does in fact solves screen flicker problems, for the cases where this is not hardware related problem. We’ve somehow hijacked this topic from OP (@veggies ), so let’s hear from him/her if this solves their problem.

Yes, sure. I just didn’t know that low PWM frequencies can cause such severe screen flickering and even crash the system.

So would you say that in my case it’s probably a hardware related problem and I should contact technical support (support@puri.sm)? In that case I’d stop spamming this thread :wink:

Yes, sorry for that! Since both our screen flickering issues (the OP’s and mine) seem to be at least correlated with physical location and/or wifi signals I didn’t want to open another thread (when you search for reports about screen flickering issues you won’t find that very often).

I applied the register changes suggest. The changes dimmed the screen brightness. They may have reduced the flicker/blinking, (I don’t have any objective measure of that) but unfortunately it did not remove the problem.