Librem 14 fan noise?

That is the best news in a while :slight_smile: Looking forward to this update as it is the main issue i have currently (together with quickly discharging battery during suspend).

no, we’ve not released an EC firmware update to address the temp/fan issue yet, nor have we released official guidance for applying them. That snippet was for a specific support use case.

we don’t have any notification mechanism, though you can follow the firmware release notes on gitlab.

1 Like

Can we expect this update soon? When video conferencing the fan goes MAX speed too often which is a huge issue at the moment as the mic picks this up. It makes the laptop unusable as a main driver due to all the video conferencing atm.

edit: ok it seems there is a new EC version from 3rd of August

Now we just need an official update procedure…

1 Like

@nicole.faerber also worth noting is fact how intel turbo works with all Intel CPU.
i was heavily suprised with users complaining on fan noise, while my unit is extremely quiet.
Soon i discovered why. I intensively use multi-threading apps. if all cores are loaded cpu never goes above 2Ghz.
Situation changges when i run less number of heavy tasks, with 3 threads CPU goes 2.7Ghz, with 2 tasks 3.4GHz, with single 4GHz.
That can be slightly counter intuitive to users but technically have sense.
With Higher frequency there is much more heat, so EC switches FANs to run faster because it have to cool down CPU.

people who wish to argue here:
sudo apt install stress
then run:
stress --cpu 12 # watch frequency and listen fan
stress --cpu 6 # here you should see no difference nor in freq nor fan noise
stress --cpu 3 # now cpu should go slightly faster and fans become louder
stress --cpu 2 # faster than above , louder
stress --cpu 1 # cpu full speed , fan full speed

handy would be also sudo apt install lm_sensors , and observe temperature sensors during that tests.
Conclusion: there is no “fan noise issue” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: it’s a normal behaviour of hardware.

Purism already acknowledged the problem NineX. Please stop saying there is no issue while there clearly is. I understand you do not have any problems, that is good news for you. Meanwhile i will be refreshing the pages until the fix and update procedure is posted :slight_smile:

1 Like

tehcnically i don’t see acknowledgement of the problem here.
current message is “we hear your call and we are looking into it”
Acknowledgement will be when team will able point particular point of code responsible for the issue…
For now it’s research about user reports.
i’ve only shown steps to reproduce issue with simple tools and explanation of the behaviour of ec chip in that circumstances.
taking for consideration fact that people who reported it first, now seeking why qemu isn’t multi-threading, but loads single core… speaks for it self.
i am ready to take a bet, about that.
last 2 weeks i am trying to create one single repetitive workload that will cause my laptop to spin fan 100% without single core being 4GHz and 90 degree Celsius hot…
No luck.
so there are 2 possibiliteis - 1 i have luck and i got unit that is not affected with a problem - then you have bad luck firmware will mostly not fix it, as it would be an electrical problem
or , i have right.

@NineX, Just to be clear you have Librem 14 and what OS do you run?

Could you reboot your machine, then immediately run

$ watch sensors

and share the screenshot with us?

I am particularly interested in Core Temperatures, CPU fan and CPU temp metric that you have at start.

Thanks very much! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I tried, as I was curious, and all I got was

sh: 1: sensors: not found

here you go.

and after minute,
only firefox running to respond in this thread

ambient temperature in my room now 25 degree Celsius

and yes i have one additional sensor as i replaced wifi to intel one - need more speed over Wifi.

PureOS 10 , KDE and PureOS 10 Gnome - depends on the day.

1 Like

sudo apt install lm_sensors

2 Likes

Looks very good, better than mine and some others here! :crazy_face:

@NineX, did you install 3rd of August EC Firmware Update already? The reason I am asking is because there is a know issue that librem_ec_acpi-acpi-0 reports CPU temp 20c higher than it actually is when comparing to the Cores.

(notify @MrChromebox @nicole.faerber)

yup i had it installed in a day when it hit the repo 2021-08-03_05d9990 , but i din’t had fan issue even with olders.
that’s why i was trying to investigate what differs me/my device from others.
and only clue i found was actual workload.

1 Like

And that is the main issue which indeed will be fixed with the EC update. I have the same issue Kate. I read it will also fine tune the fan buildup to full speed.

Also Ninex please note that under Qubes i currently am unable to reach 4 ghz at all. So it is not related to Turbo speed.

edit: clearly the reason you do not have these issues is the EC update… You do not have the +20 degrees which makes a huge difference of course

1 Like

I agree, this is the biggest difference, @W8VUpzsTHzB4bt, that to me explains a lot. :exploding_head:

Running PureOS

2 Likes

point taken, but the problem is already solved, just upgrade your EC. and move on.
when i am searching the bug i am assuming people running latest software.
same i did here, and was reviewing code reposnible for fan control in master branch.
fix for ec reporting wrong temperatures was merged Jun 30.

and udapte procedure will be:
download firmware https://source.puri.sm/firmware/releases/-/blob/master/librem_14/ec-2021-08-03_05d9990.rom.gz
download https://source.puri.sm/firmware/releases/-/blob/master/tools/purism_ectool.gz

$ gzip -d *.gz
$ chmod 755 purism_ectool

now important : reboot to single user mode , or invoke
$ sudo telinit 1 # from terminal to switch single user and stop all system services (precaution)

finally:

purism_ectool flash_backup /path/to/ec-2021-08-03_05d9990.rom

or you can do it with livecd , but switching singleuser mode i strongly advise , as system services may break the process.

There is no official update procedure and there are multiple warnings on these forums against upgrading using the flash backup command. As MrChromebox posted it will be available soon, so i am waiting a little longer. Rather not brick it and have to visit someone with tools to flash over the internal debug port :slight_smile:

2 Likes

only thing i can warn aobut procedure i posted, purism_ectool does dirty reboot, and does not unmount filesystems.
make sure your battery is full, make sure you have connected power.
there were 2 releaases of ec firmware sience i got my unit.
all of them flashed perfectly fine.

this is why we have the update performed from a boot from a live USB

1 Like

@MrChromebox
i strongly advise to put linux into single user, there is small chance that system services my interrupt, small chance but still, limiting userspace to kernel +init + bash , would be safe. (it’s only suggestion)