According to https://puri.sm/faq/supported-networks/, Purism is considering
only the BM818-E1 and BM818-A1 variants on ship right now
UPDATE: A post from a support technician down below says that they are also working with the BM818-T1 and other variants:
Oh, seriously??? So I still have to cancel my order??? Damn!!
I’m based in Australia and have been a backer for about a year and I’m very keen to get my Librem 5.
Purism, if you’re listening, please reconsider adding the T1 variant. This will make a HUGE difference for coverage in Australia!
Looks like us Aussies miss out, at least for now. It’s probably not feasible to offer the variants for our small market. It’s a shame. I’m trying to get into the Pure world but maybe not just yet. I’d pay for the variant, and handsomely at that. I’m just waiting now for e foundation to announce a reseller for their phones in Oz and I’ll get my girl one and see what it’s like. I think that one will be more user friendly for her. I truly hope the Librem 5 becomes a possibility for us down here.
I’d ask them directly. I don’t know how many Australian backers they have. Maybe only a dozen? The question is also, if it is too much effort for them to officially support/test it, can you buy it directly? I’d just ask them about it. You could also offer to test it for them - because if they are serious about QA, somebody would have to travel down under for that.
Yes, probably our market is too small to be sustainable to offer the T1 variant of the phone. Well, I was keen as well to have my Librem 5, but at this stage I am forced to cancel my order and wait for the Pinephone, even if the Librem 5 idea was really exciting.
I hope the project will be a huge success, maybe I’ll bake Librem 5 version 2, who knows, maybe they’ll use a RISC-V chipset (after they sponsored the LIBRE RISC-V M-CLASS, I am really curious about that CPU!!
I think someone from Purism needs to step in with a clarification.
In Italy with device/modem supporting LTE Band 28 you will be very soon on the safe side (even without B20). Here is confirming link. I already wrote (somewhere here) why LTE B28 will be introduced within the whole EU region. For example, from this summer, it is already in use in Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Norway and Sweden. Rest is up to the Purism (Gemalto/Broadmobi).
Ugh… Please Purism, (re)consider offering the BroadMobi BM818-T1!
Hang on, guys. There is no official statement regarding the -T1.
One forum participant above wrote “Purism is considering only the -E1 and -A1 variants on ship right now” and other participants have repeated that as gospel ! Unless “jinglersend” works for Purism, it would be wise to get an official word. If “jinglersend” does not work for Purism, the claim, based on the evidence posted above, could be considered speculative inference (i.e. might be right, might be wrong).
For example, one possibility, at the optimistic end of the scale, is that for a small market noone has had time to fill in the table on the Purism web site but the -T1 has been tested and found to work as far as is possible if sitting in the US (i.e. only the bands that are in common between the -T1 and what is in use in the US) so if the table had been filled in for the -T1 there would be question marks on some of the bands. At the less optimistic end of the scale, noone has even tested the -T1 but they will sell you a phone with one (at your risk).
All just speculation!
Well that’s true. @deedend you should ask them if there is a chance of them offering it before you cancel your order (I suppose you probably will).
I am also waiting for the Librem 5 v2 with RISC-V
We are working to be able to provide more variants of the BM818 modem, including the T1 and the probability is high.
That’s awesome news, thank you!
Ditto on that, fantastic stuff! Thanks!
@joao.azevedo, thanks! “The need for 700 MHz spectrum can’t be underestimated” from GSMA (14 June, 2016). 3GPP FDD-LTE Band 28 belongs to the second digital dividend for the mobile service.
That is great! news. Now I’m getting excited. A Librem might get into my hands yet!
Apologies for the speculation! I’ve updated my post to direct readers to the response from the support technician.
I say thank you to have raise the question! Let’s hope they succeed with the T1 variant, for all us poor bastards down under!
Adding a “Here’s Hoping” for T1 for AUS/NZ, fingers crossed…