Librem 5 battery charge calibration

Today I charged from about 38% to red-LED-goes-off - power was turned off on the L5 - and when I disconnected and powered up, battery percentage indicator in the notifications area was “0%.”

Weird.

I powered down, removed the battery for a few seconds, then put it back in and powered up. Percentage then showed 99%.

Never had that before.

P.S. Charge time required seemed to be shorter than usual. :+1:

I have been trying to discharge my phone as much as possible before charging over several months now. Unfortunately that doesn’t seem to improve the calibration, which notoriously goes towards energy-full being upwards of 15-16 Wh in a few days.

Turning the phone off and removing/reinserting the battery resets the calibration to energy-full = enery-full-design, which to me is better than the gauge overestimating the battery’s capacity.

Is there another way to reset the calibration, e.g. by software? That would make it easier to fix the calibration issue rather than constantly emptying the battery completely before a recharge. The latter makes it very difficult to use the phone without a power bank.

I charged from 0% to 100% over night, but the battery calibration still continued to increase its deviation from the energy-full-design value. It seems to me that battery calibration is somehow broken on the L5.

Until there is a fix for this, I will continue to reset the calibration regularly by removing/reinserting the battery.

I try tomorrow to look at the calibration.

I charge the battery if i need a powered device in the next 6 hours. So i charge it daily. Sometimes in 1 of 10 times over night. And often from 5 % to 100% or from 2x% to 90%.

This way i got a reliable phone and the battery use seems to increase since the last updates. But i turn of mic, camera and Mobil every night. Right now my L5 have a less power usage as my decades old Android have.

1 Like

Last night upower on my phone showed:

energy-full:         13,764 Wh
    energy-full-design:  13,8572 Wh

The battery charge showed 16% and I connected it to the Librtem5 charger at about 11pm and took it off the charger at about 8am at 100%. Now upower shows the following:

$ upower -d | grep energy-full | head -2
    energy-full:         14,7184 Wh

@dos
How am I supposed to charge my phone to avoid this upward calibration “drift”? Not charging until the battery is completely empty is not an option for me.

1 Like

This is the actual calibration i have:

energy-full:         12,4814 Wh

Sorry to see your upwoard drift tomoqv. Just intuitive, i would charge it from 5 or 2 Percent some times to 90% only, and avoid 100% loading.

Yeah, your mileage may vary, as they say. Your charging habits wouldn’t work for me, but even when I have been close to that, my calibration still seems to drift higher.

I am also using a Nexdock quite often, which charges the phone too from whatever charge level the phone might have.

Its just a wild guess. Is it possible to use Nexdoc, without battery? However do not know how it effects Battery calibration, and the fix would be a battery manger which handle this issue of a full Battery at docking station.

From Tuxedo Notebooks i know that they hold loading to spare the batteries, by Firmware/Battery.