Librem 5 Calendar App

I am searching a calendar-App for my librem5. I know, that I can import my the calendar from Nextcloud, but I do not find a really working calendar App in in the librem5 App-Store.

There’s also this simple reminder app that works well:

There’s work being done to make Gnome Calendar adaptive for Mobile screens (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-calendar/-/merge_requests/134) but until it’s done (and it may be a while still) I think there isn’t a great option.

It’s one of the top 5 https://puri.sm/fund-your-app/ here though so it’s clearly a priority for many users that hasn’t been solved yet.

2 Likes

I am very surprised, that the adaption to mobile screens is so complicated. Form me it shows the mistake that was made when choosing gnome as the basis for mobile development.

For me it seems, that the progress in Plasma mobile is faster and I hope, that i can use it on my librem5 in the not so far future. There already is an calendar.

By the way: On my librem13 I use Plasma Neon as there were difficulties updating the byzantium Kde/Plasma-Version which are not solved until today.

1 Like

Well, I guess you’re in luck then:

1 Like

Trying to leave my GNOME-fanboy glasses of, I have to highly disagree. I read a greater amount of articles and saw many videos in which people compared the current status of PureOS with Phosh and Plasma Mobile and all of them stated that PureOS with Phosh is in a much better state so far.
It’s about one app here and it takes so much time because there is one guy working in his freetime on the adaption. GNOME “official developers” offered help (not with developing but with reviewing) but they have many different other things to do right now.

3 Likes

GNOME calendar still needs to be made adaptive, some distros like mobian ship a version of GNOME calendar that is scaled to fit the screen, but it is a bit small

3 Likes

That shows for me, that Gnome has no real interest in supporting Librem5. For a test I installed Kate, Dolphin and KOrganizer. Although not optimized for mobile use, they all started in the right formfaktor. Korganizer is better usable then calendar but crashed, when I tried to make new date, which is not a surprize. So I will use kate and doplhin in the future.
For my dates I will use nextcloud in the future.

I state quite the opposite! :stuck_out_tongue:

Afaik every new GNOME mockup is created with a mobile view, they are working on making Nautilus adaptive and they are highly busy finishing up GNOME 40 for its release.
Many apps have already been made adaptive. But please keep in mind libhandy is very very new so things take time.

4 Likes

Now I installed Okular, which works well too and starts in the rihgt form factor.

1 Like

Feel free to post a screenshot or two here, for the benefit of all:

I’ll update the top of that thread.

1 Like

How can I make screenshots on my librem5?

1 Like

Are there any news about an adaptive, suitable calendar app for the L5?
I’m getting more and more frustrated with my L5, incubating in my sideboard, still lacking basic functions.

2 Likes

I share your frustration as a working calendar app is as well one of my key apps i do need to use Librem 5 in a productive way. As it is actually one of the Top 5 Apps in the Fund Your App Initiative I thought the calendar app shall be usable now but it isn’t and having a look at the List of Apps in Development i do see that the status is “not yet adaptive”. So I had a look at the developer status. Evangelos Ribeiro Tzaras is working on the calendar app for the Librem 5 and I highly appreciate the work he is doing. My question to the Purism Team is now: Why is there a lonely coding cowboy out there working alone on the calendar app when this has been voted and backed as one of the Top 5 Apps?

8 Likes

Just for the record: I am using KDE Plasma on byzantium on a Librem 14 just fine :slight_smile:

However, on multiple other systems with Plasma I had problems upgrading from debian buster to bullseye (about the same as upgrading amber to byzantium, afaik), so maybe you had the same bug? https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=987430

This post is about Librem 5 Calendar App. You may consider moving your post to the right one.

2 Likes

Maybe purism or the developers can explain how/if the “fund your app ranking” affects their schedule. They asked for our votes, they collected our money, they should have a clue.

3 Likes

Gnome calendar libhandy it almost available to Librem 5.

13 Likes