Librem 5 Capabilities That No Other Phone Has

Sure, but private companies do not always work with publically funded data, and they can do with their own data whatever they want.

1 Like

I plan to keep my Android phone after I receive my Librem 5. Most of my most critical functions that I do on my Android phone are done in the same room at home anyway, while I also watch TV and do other things. With WIFI, you don’t even need a SIM card. So I buy my airline tickets, pay my bills, etc…, at home on my Android phone which will probably never be used to make phone calls anymore, after I get my Librem 5. But for trackable transactions that need strong authentication, there is no avoiding tracking anyway. So if Google wants to track me, all they’ll know is that I never leave home, never call anyone, I only use my phone to make occasional purchases and for bill paying, and that’s it. I never leave home, never browse the web, and never make phone calls. At least that is what they will think.

Meanwhile, when I leave home I’ll always carry my Librem 5. I’ll do everything I currently use my Android phone for now while away from home. And when at home, I’ll still always use my Librem 5 to do everything it can do as needed. So with some minor adjustment to how I do things, I can achieve near perfect anonymity for the things that really matter. And you still only need to carry one phone that way. Once or twice per year, I might want to access my bank account while away from home. Oh well, I can then wait until I get home. That’s no big deal.

4 Likes

I would give myself some chance of getting this data. After all, I am the one who has funded it (along with all other taxpayers).

That’s why I gave the example of Shazam. Purely private data. No right to get access. No requirement to use it i.e. it’s a purely discretionary, leisure activity.

Not if governments create laws that force companies to public specific data with public interests…

Lufthansa updating you about flight delays in realtime or your bank providing you with their proprietary security software to access your accounts are not “public interests”.

And really, you think something like that is gonna happen any time soon? Governments already don’t manage to make companies pay their taxes, you think they’re gonna force them to make their data public?

Public interest.

Not public interest.

It is already real. The question is: what country and what data. It needs some time to get every relevant data public, but this time will come. They don’t just public data for FOSS-apps, they will do it because there are a lot of pros and no con for everyone (including companies like Lufthansa).

How so? It is clearly in the public interest that all software meets adequate security standards. No bank should be allowed to operate with knowingly broken software or with recklessly unknowingly broken software. This is no different from any other product that is subject to government-mandated safety or quality standards.

The question then is: is the company allowed to self-certify? (that would never go wrong, not) or is the company compelled to undertake independent external certification?

That still of course doesn’t amount to allowing the customer to certify the software. It at least brings that goal closer.

So you want to share your bank account data with the world? I spoke about open data, not open source software.

I think iPhone doesn’t have the capability of a a scheduled shutdown, so I am looking forward to that feature on the L5. Sounds like android does have this feature, but I figured I’d add it to the thread anyway because I’m excited about it.

1 Like

What is a “scheduled shutdown”? In any Linux host like the L5 you can do this via root’s crontab at any time.

1 Like

The shutdown command also allows you to specify when to shut down, either as an offset (30 minutes) or a specific time (11:43). But I believe @weirdnerd can’t do it on an iPhone and is therefore looking forward to being able to do it on a L5.

1 Like

I guess this feature it already on L5 like# shutdown +*

1 Like

thanks for the clarifications, yes, i currently have an iPhone that cannot accomplish this. When my L5 arrives this is a feature i will greatly appreciate. I’ve been trying to limit my time on electronic devices, and the scheduled shutdowns seem to help a lot.

For anyone else who isn’t familiar with this command:

Shutdown in 30 minutes:
sudo shutdown -h +30

Shutdown at 8:30am:
sudo shutdown -h 08:30

Reboot at 11:00pm and send a wall message to anyone using the device before rebooting:
sudo shutdown -r 23:00 "Rebooting for the night"

Send a wall message at 5:50pm, but don’t reboot or shutdown:
sudo shutdown -k 17:50 "Time to stop working!"

9 Likes

Isn’t auto-shutdown useless when suspend is enabled? I think it is. It does not make sense to have auto shutdown for example on iPhone. The phone will be suspended anyway.

1 Like

Not at all.

The poster wrote:

I’ve been trying to limit my time on electronic devices

Suspend (to RAM) in no way prevents the user using the device.

For the stated purpose, shutting down is an effective but slightly brutal way of achieving it. (Nicer might be to change the authentication process so that it will refuse to unlock “out of hours” but you could still take a phone call, potentially.)

1 Like

No other phone has an OpenPGP card inserted and can use it with GnuPG and I have this way all my secrets (PINs, credentials, …) always with me.

4 Likes

One of the most important capabilities of the Librem 5 over Android or iPhone is the ability to receive updates and upgrades practically forever.

That applies to the software and the hardware.

2 Likes

As an added bonus, if you ever want not to have all your secrets with you then you can achieve that too (by taking out the OpenPGP card). Or you could have multiple sets of secrets.

And if you’re in the airport of an unfriendly country and they ask to see your phone, your secrets are still safe. They say, “let’s see your phone”. You say, “here, let me unlock it for you”. Then you enter a two key command and say “I don’t understand why my password isn’t working” and hand them your phone. When they get it, the screen is locked and checkerboard / reverse checkerboard patterns are quietly over-writing your secrets in memory. Twenty minutes later as they are still trying to get in, a low level format completes. Then you blame them for damaging your phone. When they give it back to you, you insert a new SD card and restore the phone and your secrets to normal. You put the SD card back in your pocket and repeat as necessary.

2 Likes