Librem 5, Cellular Network Testing

Yes, it does disappear. Kind of fun/exasperating at the same time. Where did it go? Why? I am a problem solver and I cannot stop myself until I understand what is going on.

And, yes, I understand the different hardware software issue but I am trying to understand what that really means and why? Isn’t that what we are all doing here on this forum - trying to understand this odd device and make it “better”. I have felt like going on a rant for a long time about how the Librem 5 is really just a Beta device and we are all guinea-pigs for a strange thought experiment. I don’t like to get into that kind of existential debate though. Not my interest area. It also mostly devolves into differences of philosophy, opinions, worldviews blah, blah.

It just means that the modem disconnected from the network. Probably due to your weak signal at home. It performs better when you’re away from home, right?

Yes. Although, it does bounce around in other areas, as well, that have a weak signal. But, yes, the at home issue is the main problem - bad area and weak signal.

But, and this is the big “but” - I improved the signal enough, at home, with a booster. The booster picks up at least three different signals. It appears the TMobile signal is the weakest signal that it “boosts” or “repeats”. The TMobile signal is about 47%. The Verizon signal can be up to 100%. The AT&T signal is usually somewhere between those two signals, maybe 65%.

In my research on repeaters or boosters, most of them just pick up “universal” signals from all carriers. Therefore, I am loathe to try a different repeater if all it will do is amplify the same signals - perhaps a little “better” or with more amplification. How will that help the Librem 5 modem which appears not to be able to differentiate between these signals? Is there some kind of threshold that modem is not reaching? 50% signal strength, perhaps?

What did they say?

Nothing. I just register it online and they say something like “thank you” with the online registration.

1 Like

Have you restarted the extender since then? (Just throwing that out there in case it’s something that needed to be done.)

Yes, I have.

1 Like

As an update to this. I notice that when I power my phone on and off, the modem recognizes the Mint SIM card first, before deciding to switch to other signals. (My guess is based on the fact that they are stronger).

1 Like

I get the same error (which I don’t think used to come up) but then I don’t have any problems with registration (and all three MNOs are on my nearest tower from which I get a good signal).

So I would say that: the error is a bug, the error is a regression, the error while maybe not helpful is also not a clue.

Different answer: It’s all blackbox firmware (mainstream and BM818) so there is no way to answer that with any certainty for any device.

Maybe “WiFi calling”, once “someone” implements it, will be a better solution for you at home.

I think boosters here are network-specific (and probably frequency-specific too) i.e. only boost one signal. This is both a good thing and a bad thing.

This might be a silly question but does the booster expose any kind of user interface where you can observe status and/or make settings changes?

the at home issue is the main problem

Mint does offer Wifi calling, but, yes, Librem 5 does not.

No, the antenna booster does not have any interface. That would be nice. I ordered a TMobile specific booster. I am not hopeful as I believe it just does the same thing. We shall see. Again, the issue is really with the BM818 modem as far as I can tell and until someone proves to me otherwise.

(But thanks for posting on this!)

I’m fairly certain that repeaters are a dumb RF device. I don’t think it’s doing any conversion or that type of thing. They are generic and have a range of frequencies that they will operate and successfully repeat an RF signal. It’s essentially an RF amplifier.

1 Like

I agree with you. However, the modem in the Librem 5 should be able to differentiate with my SIM, between the signals that are repeated. Correct? I mean, it isn’t that complicated, IMHO,

Support, so far, said that they are unsure and will have a tech starting looking at the issue. They offered to send out a new modem to me but I said no. I do not think that will help anything. I got some support on it, though.

Noticed something interesting, with Advanced Network > PPP Settings, you can enable MPPPE, does this help any with data throughput?

1 Like

I ended up sending my phone in because it’s practically useless to me at this point until they figure it out and they asked me to send it in. I’ll update this thread when I get it back and let you know if it’s working again and you can decide what you want to do.

I have a feeling that there is something up with the new batches of modems because I know they replaced mine, and the old one even though it was hobbled operating on one antenna did not have this problem at all. But then again I don’t think you replaced your modem correct? I’m curious if the modem in your phone is newer than the one I had in mine. That might be interesting to know. I got my phone in January of '22.

I don’t have that setting on my Mobile tab. Where are you getting “Advanced Network”.

Nah, I kept my modem. I make due with wifi calling via JMP.chat while at home. It is just annoying to not have reliable cell service at home. Please do update anything you find out from them. I will do the same.

That’s a separate application. Think Network Manager.

NetworkManager

I think it’s network manager gui

I deleted that package some time ago. Do yiu know the exact name? Was it in Librem 5 goodies perhaps?