Librem 5 + Nextcloud

All fine!

Layer 8 issue. It works as intended.

4 Likes

Hi everyone!
I open my settings
Clic on Online Account
I clic on Nextcloud
They ask me a Server, a UserName and a password.

Ok, is it possible to explain how I can sync my contact and calendar? I have absolutly no idea…

Hi Marts, you just did 90% of it… all that is left is open contacts app and select to use the contacts of your nextcloud account you just provided.

1 Like

Sorry, I was not clear : I don’t know what to do when they ask me a server…

You have to put here the URL of the Nextcloud server. In my case it looks like this:

https://example.com/nextcloud

Basically the same URL that you use to go to the main page of your Nextcloud server in the browser.

Finally I have my Nextcloud account. But nothing is sync : no contact, no agenda is on the cloud… When I ask to Backup app to make a Backup, he say to me :

Traceback (innermost last):
File “/usr/bin/duplicity”, line 122, in
with_tempdir(main)
File “/usr/bin/duplicity”, line 108, in with_tempdir
fn()
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/dup_main.py”, line 1522, in main
action = commandline.ProcessCommandLine(sys.argv[1:])
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/commandline.py”, line 1187, in ProcessCommandLine
config.backend = backend.get_backend(args[0])
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/backend.py”, line 223, in get_backend
obj = get_backend_object(url_string)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/backend.py”, line 209, in get_backend_object
return factory(pu)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/backends/giobackend.py”, line 96, in init
self.remote_file.make_directory_with_parents(None)
gi.repository.GLib.GError: g-io-error-quark: Operation not supported (15)

Is this about Duplicity or Nextcloud?

It’s when I clic on the « Backup » bouton I receve this…

Nextcloud and Backups are two different things. When you set up a Nextcloud account, contacts and calendars are synced, and in the Files application (Nautilus) you will see a mount with the files on the Nextcloud server.
Backups is a totally different application that has nothing to do with Nextcloud.

Can you explain to me? Here is my Nextcloud host : https://nextcloud05.webo.cloud/apps/calendar/dayGridMonth/now

I want to see there the calendar and the contacts that I have on my Librem 5. But nothing. My goal was to create a backup on this host. With the Backup app, I thougt that it was possible… I see the possibility in the app to do that on a Network Server…

My Nextcloud Host is not a Network Server? So, what should I do to have a Netwok Server?

In Settings > Online Accounts you have to add the URL of your Nextcloud server. I think that in your case it is: https://nextcloud05.webo.cloud. You will also have to provide your username and password.

Then enable Use for Calendar, Contacts, Documents, Files, like shown here: Librem 5 + Nextcloud.

See here a description of the GNOME Online Account services that might be available.

When you have done this, in the Contacts and Calendar applications the Nextcloud contacts and calendars will appear.

The Backup application is something that has nothing to do with Nextcloud.

There is also a Nextcloud Desktop application that you can use for synchronizing files between your computer (Librem 5) and the Nextcloud server. But I did not test it on the Librem 5, maybe it is not even available for the Librem 5 (aarch64 and small screen).

1 Like

I have done everything you said, but nothing appear. On the Nextcloud Webo site, I can clic somewhere to import my contact and somewhere else to import my calendar. When I clic there, he ask me to select the folder…

Do you know where are the calendar and contacts folders? Do you think that this is the solution?

There is absolutely a solution… you can see all the contacts data that is in your nextcloud on your phone. Once your verify all the data is visible on your nextcloud website inside the individual contact / calendar app it is then not a large step to see it on the librem 5 (as already mentioned you use the online accounts function) . If I recall it does ask you to confirm the first time you launch the app which contacts / calenders you want to see (just local or nextcloud)

Since a few days, I noted that there were no contacts any more in the Contacts application that syncs with Nextcloud. I did not see any messages in the journal, there were just no contacts.
So I thought: let me check if the calendar information that I also have in Nextcloud is available. So I opened the Calendar application. This Application brought up a “Certificate trust…” window that stated that the certificate is not trusted (it was indeed updated). The popup window did not fit the L5 screen, so I could not accept the exception, and now the “Certificate trust…” popup window seems not to appear any more. But at least I have an idea now why I do not see any contacts any more. I will post here when I found a solution to fix this.

1 Like

In convergence mode with a decent monitor attached, I did some more investigations.
In GNOME Settings, the Nextcloud account with the Contact service was visible. But in Evolution, in the Account Settings, I did not see the Nextcloud Contacts carddav under GOA:webdav initially, although the Calendar caldavs of Nextcloud were there.
Next, I noticed that the /usr/libexec/evolution-addressbook-factory process was not running. I started this manually from the command line. It took quite long, but ultimately the contacts became available both in Contacts and Evolution. I did not check yet if /usr/libexec/evolution-addressbook-factory will start now automatically at a boot. Maybe it was not running because it crashed on the certificate trust issue?