Librem 5 — painpoint assessment 2021

See: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-calendar/-/issues/670

3 Likes

Ahh, I see it only offers to qr codes that a browser would take.

Would you be able to expand that to allow the opening of any of them with xdg-open like it is on mobian? This allows for the system to figure out what to do with it. This opens it up to allowing more codes the system can already handle such as:
mailto:
geo:
This also opens people (such as myself) to add more codes that the system can handle. Just yesterday I got wifi codes working on mobian.

edit: We really appreciate the work you do dos!

1 Like

Megapixels doesn’t work for me as a camera yet (still on amber): Camera development progress

@amarok Big camera should work fine in amber-phone for a while now (since kernel 5.13.12pureos1~amber1). There also were some more improvements since and a new kernel with all of them will migrate into amber-phone in a few days: https://master.pureos.net/migrations/excuse/3d7229fc-a6a4-45d6-a1bb-40c4c30666bb - please test whether it works for you; if it does not, this could mean a hardware issue (or some completely different software bug that we haven’t seen yet).

1 Like

OK, right…I just checked and it does work; those old issues seem to be corrected. I hadn’t tested in a while, because I hadn’t seen any updates specific to Megapixels arrive.

Looking forward to the coming improvements… Thanks!

Yeah, it was the kernel that needed fixing :slight_smile:

1 Like

@dcz Sorry for my misleading statement.

At first I was able to connect the L5 to my monitors, cars and televisions with the usual USB-C docks (HDMI alt-mode) and operate it with a portable keyboard / mouse. That was a really good feeling and made me very happy personally :slight_smile:

After an update (I don’t know which one anymore) the support for the HDMI / DP alt-mode was lost and I can use these docks (I have 7 different of them) for everything else but not to connect a display.

Now the L5 is just lying around at my house because it doesn’t do what it used to be.

I hope the functionality will be restored. :pleading_face:

@execrable FYI, connecting external displays should still work fine (and it does for me), especially with adapters that have worked before. Seems like your device needs some troubleshooting; it may be a good idea to contact support.

@dos It is quite possible. I try to reset the L5 again and then test it. I’m glad to hear that it should still work :slight_smile:

As has been mentioned before, VoLTE may or may not be one of the biggest issues. Given that one can use SIP or XMPP with a data SIM (or Wifi when available), this is a possible solution (or workaround) for not being able to call with VoLTE. If you want to stick with your current voice/text or voice/text/data plan then I guess not. There are pretty reasonable (IMHO) data-only international offerings like Surfroam and Keepgo. On the SIP/XMPP side, there are offerings like jmp.chat (US and Canada only currently), Zadarma (international) and many, many more.

Although I have experience with (and even done development on) SIP-based systems in the past, I have not tried any of these XMPP/SIP offerings associated with real PSTN phone numbers. I also don’t know how seamless this would be, especially with respect to SMS/MMS. It would be nice if Purism would at some point tell us:

1. Some kind of progress report on discussions with the main US carriers wrt to VoLTE whitelisting for the Librem 5, and/or

2. Discussion of how feasible the XMPP/SIP solution is for Voice/SMS/MMS as a substitution for VoLTE.

That is about as acceptable as selling me a Swiss army knife with many utensils, only to tell me later on that quite a few of the utensils aren’t functioning properly, with the knife being absent all together, and suggesting I might try sharpening one of the screwdrivers in stead.

1 Like

This is absurd. It completely disregards the fact that the swiss army knife is still being developed using new materials. Additionally, the knife itself isn’t missing, everyone decided that they won’t accept any material it cuts.

If you don’t want to be a part of the process, you’re free to go rent a “functioning” device from someone else.

It’s absurd to suggest people should look for alternatives to a phones most basic function: being a usable phone.

4 Likes

And here we go again with the childish put-up-or-shut-up-response to any critical remark made in this forum.
I am still eagerly awaiting my L5, but I don’t think it is too much to ask if I expect it to behave like a decent basic phone from the get-go. Every phone I bought over the past twenty or so years managed to do so, and I don’t see why it should be different for the L5.

3 Likes

The comparaison to the swiss knife is completely absurd, you don’t have privacy, and remote control issue with a swiss knife, but I guess you just want to focus on 1 negative aspect to disregard the many good ones

the L5 is my daily driver for 6 month now, so… I can check that box.

It’s absurd to ask a smartphone which has been under developement for 4 years, to be as developed as other phones which have decades and hundreds of billions of $$ of developement

I have a list of painpoint about the L5 (amber) on existing functionnalities, but I’m waiting Byzantium, I know some have already been resolved in this next version

1 Like

My remarks were a response to the suggestion that we should look for an alternative means of making calls. If Purism would have marketed the phone as a phone for making VOIP/SIP/XMPP calls I would not have ‘ordered’ it.
Hands up who thought the L5 was going to be a ‘normal’ 4G/VOLTE capable piece of kit…

4 Likes

I would add Bluetooth, to make and receive calls on the go.
I should also like to be able to copy/paste text between applications, for example from the browser to terminal and vice versa; from the call app to the contact app and so on …

2 Likes

That already works:

3 Likes

I beg your pardon? I was pointing out that nobody is making you use or have this phone you disapprove of. I just don’t understand why people complain about the state of something yet don’t change their position in it. If it turns out the still-being-developed car I reserved couldn’t go into reverse for some reason, I would opt to not purchase that car.

You complain as if you believe it won’t be fixed, yet don’t pull your money out, so either you believe it will be fixed and you complain anyway or you’re using your money as a down payment for your right to complain. Me, I’m just trying to help you find peace.

In most cases it doesn’t: I cannot copy from the browser, I cannot paste a number on the contact phone number field … I think there are some other examples although I can’t think of one at the moment.

1 Like