Librem 5 RAM upgrade?

Odd as it may seem, I want to be a sysadmin… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

in your /home/your-user-name/ should be a file named .bash_history

use it to store your favorite and frequently used CLI commands.

you can write your aliases and other cool settings in the file .bashrc

from the CLI just press up arrow to go through them from the last to the first and hit enter to run them. sudo !! to run the bottom-last one as admin.

2 Likes

I remember aliasing all of my update, upgrade, and cleaning tools to the word “update” when I had Ubuntu on my old laptop. It’s been a while…

1 Like

I had pip update, I hat apt clean any files that were residual or weren’t needed by other applications

1 Like

Flatpaks refreshed, snaps updated

1 Like

if you’re lucky you can get away with

alias uu='sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade'
you can also -y in there but it’s better if you sift through updates manually and not do it automatically.

so just uu and forget about the complex syntax :wink:

2 Likes

Perhaps it could be a good addition to the FAQ.

2 Likes

I added it: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Frequently-Asked-Questions#219-why-doesnt-the-librem-5-have-more-ram

2 Likes

Or shouldn’t? Very last shipment (EOL production) date of MT53B1024M32D4NQ-053 WT:C and MT53B1024M32D4NQ-062 WT:C was on 2019-04-11 (https://media.digikey.com/pdf/PCNs/Micron/PCN_32694.pdf).

2 Likes

hey where is the link to the official purism instructions on using zram and i am not talking about swap which just uses the storage device i am talking abou the fast memory on the l5

1 Like

Please, just to know: when I’ll be able to use my L5 as daily driver (Crimson? Next one Dawn?) can I give it to tech lab to desoldering native 1gb RAM and soldering another, more capacious, RAM component or this specific RAM was chosen and used by Purism because is “open” in some way so no black box?
I’m not expert in RAM at all :sweat_smile:
Thank you

1 Like

Yes you can:

2 Likes

Still excited for a Liberty Phone Mobo

2 Likes

Interesting, I didn’t know that had 4GB, I thought it was just a name for a made-in-US L5. I probably would’ve taken an upgrade offer had I known that was coming, oh well.

A shame the camera and microphone are still on a single kill switch though. I think a 4th switch is warranted for people who almost never use a camera. L5 is the only phone I have without a stupid tape stuck to the front on the camera. lol…

1 Like

The Liberty Phone is the successor of the Librem 5 USA, which has been discontinued. It is also known as the Librem 5 Liberty.

You can remove the camera module by disassembling the Librem 5 (1:15):

2 Likes

Ha, that’s cool to know, but I don’t think I’ll need to go that far.

3 Likes

Any idea of what this might cost for a new mobo?

1 Like

When I had to get a new PCB board for my L5 it cost $300 and now I wish that I had asked what a Liberty upgrade would cost. So in answer to your question, more than $300

2 Likes

Ok that’s good information. Would be interesting to see what the specs are of the board, I’m guessing there is more to it than simply a RAM upgrade.

2 Likes

The Liberty Phone also has a 128 GB eMMC compared to 32 GB eMMC on the Librem 5 (USA).

3 Likes