Librem 5 received and inital reaction

Thanks. I expect these things to happen as far as the software but I had a feeling this was a hardware issue from day one. * I could be wrong. I’d like to be wrong but these antenna cables are buggin me out man! I’m prob wrong about it being hardware. I don’t know why I keep going there.

I guess that your BlueTooth it fine on hardware it is just that is not working at the moment. My bluetooth it doesn’t work for me either, but worked before. I believe that the BT it going be fixed on some point, Purism developers is busy fixing other bugs. I hope Byzantium will be launched soon and that you enjoy this wonderful L5 machine more.

What’s not working with your bluetooth? Is the service running? Is the Bluetooth device found?(lsusb |grep -i blue) is the Bluetooth process found in the system monitor yet? For me The only thing that I see is that the Bluetooth option in the GUI is grayed out and not responsive. bluetoothctl runs fine but its not finding the control or any controller. So while I’d like to believe its just a driver issue I won’t exactly count out the hardware. Like I had mentioned -that one coaxil antenna cable does not have my trust. We’ll see. Still I am interested in knowing what exactly is not working with your Bluetooth. Thanks.

Just wanted to add some /proc info. Its Friday night I know haha.

purism@pureos:~$ cat /proc/bus/input/devices
I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=0100
N: Name="gpio-keys"
P: Phys=gpio-keys/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/gpio-keys/input/input0
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=kbd event0
B: PROP=0
B: EV=3
B: KEY=c000000000000 0

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=0100
N: Name="bd718xx-pwrkey"
P: Phys=gpio-keys/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/soc@0/30800000.bus/30a20000.i2c/i2c-0/0-004b/gpio-keys.0.auto/input/input1
H: Handlers=kbd event1
B: KEY=10000000000000 0

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0000 Version=0000
N: Name="pwm-vibrator"
P: Phys=
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/vibrator/input/input2
H: Handlers=event2
B: EV=200001
B: FF=107030000 0

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0000 Version=0000
N: Name="30370000.snvs:snvs-powerkey"
P: Phys=snvs-pwrkey/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/soc@0/30000000.bus/30370000.snvs/30370000.snvs:snvs-powerkey/input/input3
H: Handlers=kbd event3
B: KEY=10000000000000 0

I: Bus=0018 Vendor=0000 Product=0000 Version=0000
N: Name="EP0700M09"
P: Phys=
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/soc@0/30800000.bus/30a40000.i2c/i2c-2/2-0038/input/input4
H: Handlers=event4 mouse0
B: PROP=2
B: EV=b
B: KEY=400 0 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=260800000000003

I: Bus=0018 Vendor=0000 Product=0000 Version=0000
N: Name="WM8962 Beep Generator"
P: Phys=2-001a
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/soc@0/30800000.bus/30a40000.i2c/i2c-2/2-001a/input/input6
H: Handlers=kbd event5
B: EV=40001
B: SND=6

I: Bus=0000 Vendor=0000 Product=0000 Version=0000
N: Name="wm8962 Headphones"
P: Phys=ALSA
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/sound/sound/card1/input5
H: Handlers=event6
B: EV=21
B: SW=4

purism@pureos:~$

I’m wondering if this is a Debian 11/upstream issue. I just clean installed Debian 11 on my work laptop (intel WiFi /Bluetooth) and I can’t get Bluetooth working that has worked fine for the last 5 years on the laptop just fine. Similar looking error in dmesg, just different driver of course. It also broke suspend. Debian freezes are the worst :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I got a kernel update today it is the version Linux5.13.14, so after this update my Bluetooth is working again on app settings. : )
I guess that the trick to get working the BT is reboot with BT enabled on settings.

3 Likes

Yea no dice. I think I got that last light. Still Bluetooth is unresponsive no matter what with the same issues listed above. And in fact my WiFi is hit and miss I’ve noticed. Sometimes it connects but most times I have to reboot and then it will connect. And then it will hang on one bar. Sometimes it says I have 3-4 bars but fails to resolve hostnames in any ping or any internet connection via ssh/web-browser/curl/etc. So at this point its as useful as an ink-less pen. So Glad your Bluetooth is working. Still looking for some solid help from support on getting mine to work. Its literally the ONLY thing getting in my way. of being satisfied.-

Hey @carlosgonz do you have a LibremUSA or the regular Librem? Just curious on the difference between wifi/bluetooth modules. Thanks.

I have Librem 5 Evergreen regular, i wish to have a Librem 5 USA because i believe this has a 4 GBs RAM.
There is a bug on Gnome stack related to refresh BT, so go to settings app then enable bluetooth so next close the settings app, then go again to bluetooth settings, then should be working for you.
@dos do you have a solutions soon to fix the refresh BT page on Gnome settings. Please ?

Ah thanks. Yea that will not work for me. I CANNOT enable or disable bluetooth from the GUI/app settings. The settings for Bluetooth is not responsive at all. So no matter what I try that GUI/App settings for Bluetooth is grayed out and does not respond at all. I’m not sure what to say here. The Bluetooth settings has not been responsive since opening this out of the box. The service is running when checking with systemctl from the terminal and I can restart it from there but that does nothing. The device is not found in /proc or lsusb or hcitool dev or hciconfig -a sudo lshw | grep -i blue and because the Bluetooth device is not showing up in ANY search I will still say this could be hardware problem. * The Wifi almost always takes minutes to connect to the network and then when it does its at 1 bar and is not giving me any connectivity from like ssh. All I am saying is that the WiFi is also very very flaky.

1 Like

Maybe some BT libs is broken. Why not flashing your device to Byzantium? Prepare your computer to install uuu then learn how put the L5 on flash mode and flashing… to Byzantium. If the BT issue still there after byzantium, mmm may be a hardware problems.
Purism It has had a lot of problems with the BT card and the driver. I think Purism will release another wifi-BT card to solve all the problems it has, and maybe wifi 6 and suspend mode on the newer card. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What makes you think that? As far as I know, the Librem 5 USA has 3 GB ram, just like the regular Librem 5. Check here: https://puri.sm/products/librem-5-usa/ (“Hardware Specifications: Librem 5 USA” near bottom of that page)

3 Likes

I readed on some Purism post that L5 USA will come with 4GB of RAM to justify a little the high price but maybe i wrong.
Can @joeybronzoni confirm this?

1 Like

Yup, @Skalman is correct. USA comes with 3GB RAM. But you are correct @carlosgonz it I did still get to pay the high price. LOL. I kid I kid. I know what this is about. I honestly believe the work done on this and other Linux phones is going to be a huge step in the right direction for the future of tech. Whether or not people see it yet I will stand by my theory. Linux will take us into the future, not windows, not apple, but maybe TempleOS will get resurrected haha(It is an amazing project). Either way though… I want my Bluetooth to get sorted out. At the very least I want confirmation that its not a hardware issue. That would ease some of the pain.

4 Likes

Bluetooth still works for me. Are you on Byzantium or Amber? I have remained on Amber.

By “works” I mean … open up Terminal app, switch on Bluetooth keyboard, wait for Bluetooth light on keyboard to show successful pairing (a couple of seconds), start typing on keyboard, characters are echoed and functional in Terminal window. Winning! :wink:

2 Likes

I’m still on amber. I haven’t tried investigating in the terminal.

Maybe I just got lucky then. Bluetooth worked out-of-the-box at the beginning of the year when I received my phone, and it worked today, and at no time in the intervening months have I noticed its misbehaving. (However this is only testing with a Bluetooth keyboard. I know some other types of Bluetooth client device won’t work yet.)

1 Like

My BT settings panel doesn’t even show it scanning for devices when I attempt to activate it. But I haven’t looked in the terminal for clues, as I mentioned. I’m sure it will straighten itself out at some point.

2 Likes

Hey how do you check if you’re on Byzantium or Amber? Thanks. Nevermind I got it. I am still on the amber repos. Can I just replace my sources.list with the byzantium repos??? Annnnnd Never mind on this. I see this post: PureOS byzantium on the phone?

And I don’t want to mess with it until it comes out on its own. I’m not interested in flashing this early on with my device.

2 Likes
Either GTK3 + libhandy or GTK4 + libadwaita (libadwaita has no final release yet).
With Gobject-Introspection, you can write GTK3/libhandy apps in C, Python, Rust, Vala etc…

Can it be Qt? There is nice (experimental) framework combining Qt with Node.js - NodeGui I wonder if it will work on Librem 5.