Librem 5 review

By the way for an investor it’s cheap to get a device and see where the company is to make decision go-no go angel. No go angel. Cause that device cost is cost of hour-2 of someone’s time.
And they see in matter of minutes what did company pay to a dev, ref 1000 in CA tells a lot. Scan of this forum confirms the same. Misaligned priorities and persistence in doing so. That would be human generated summary, the rest is machine while human is properly resting outsourcing their time to machine to scan the ‘great outdoors’

1 Like

there are plenty of legitimate and fair criticisms of Purism. It’s very understandable, in my opinion, for you to be frustrated.

You are not getting responses from tech support–a possible solution: ask people for help here on the forum! A good number of us here have put major efforts into making the Librem 5 work for our own needs (with mixed results :grimacing:), so it’s very possible that someone here can help you from their own generousity.

Instead of only airing your grievances against Purism, maybe you will find it more fruitful to ask for help with the specific issues that you are facing?

3 Likes

forum was scanned already
copy files using wire is by design phone reboot. interesting, not fixable.
making that into a server means multiple hours of my time and fuss with the thing doing alpha testing, ready to go script it not here it’s in peaces out of someone’s generosity addressing particular customized by individual configurations and their custom OS version whatever they are running on at the moment and not out of the box re-imaged version (latest that is as of this week they have announced).
CI/CD pipeline they do not have, and do not keep up documentation for their updated os here is scripts to run to make basic functions to call, transfer-migrate from another phone, call, text, navigation, migrate contacts and messages. the basics, I’m not asking a lot.

battery and excessive heating that is caused by re-imaged system - that’s tech support clear cut, whatever they have deployed.
picking bread crumbs, it’s too much time at the moment.
and I can not use navigation in precision mode with their hardware, that has to do with spatial data quality they chose to use. that’s beyond my control , it’s their host choices. they only way I can make navigation to work in my area with that phone - that’s google. I do not get the benefits, I can not use theirs cause map for the city happened to be missing. I’m not doing the map, cause I looked at api already, I’m not that generous to do and merge the state data, sorry, that’s asking too much

1 Like

Of course not, youre good.

:joy:

There is a Hardware Bug on Evergreen body which increases temperature sensitivity to user, so to bypassing this bug enable Suspend to Ram to 1 minute, this will balance the temperature.

Also Byzantium lack some of GPU acceleration which increase temperature, so please do not use Firefox for many reason on L5, do not Waydroid, do not Flatpak.

Take Omega-3 to slowdown aggressiveness for Librem 5 and Purism.

2 Likes

It’s not rocket science to develop this.

Perhaps, but how many other companies have succeeded in the Linux phone space?
Even if you might argue that Purism has not succeeded (I would disagree), I don’t think any one could make a case that they haven’t been waaaay more successful than other, bigger companies (Canonical, Mozilla, etc).

2 Likes

we are talking about company making phone. many. chose to use linux, it is normal thing, also many companies do this as it’s 0 licensing cost coming at other cost. nothing unique from business perspective about using open source to make product X that involves hardware type ABC and software AAA. nothing new.
how does company X approach the business and where are their priorities is what makes it or breaks it and who can they get behind.
It is also not new to put business under the new management. Plenty examples of that. Where new management priorities are makes it or breaks it.
Business that makes chose to make the product problems their customer problems has price-value tolerance. If product is way above the market customer makes their choices. And others look what they are getting themselves into. Nothing wrong with that.

Someone has mentioned here some problems. Would that take me too much time to make that semi-prototype into something that may do some basics - no. For use sometimes - depends on hardware degradation, it’s 5y old. In phone business how many have 5y old phone? How many have 10y old phone to get some money out of that purchase. Here ya go, do the math.

Want to do something, do it stop talking about it. Where min valuable product focus should be I said. If company can not figure out that in 4+ years it does send strong message.

2 Likes

That single feature is no rocket science. But what is with thousands of tasks that are no rocket science? They have to set priorities and manage the few resources (money) they have. If you start building a house and someone comes after 4 month and is asking you “where is the warm water” while you still have no functional roof … I hope you understand. Until last year we don’t even had a functional camera or functional suspend (not even experimental). We had a rotating lockscreen, that made it impossible to login. Things need their time, if you like it or not. That’s the reality. You can’t blame a company for not being multi billion dollar heavy. You can blame them for bad support, maybe for misleading advertisement, but not for not being big enough to bring the future to us just yesterday.

But they have to pay a lot of money to each developer each month to write open source firmware to hardware that’s bad documented. They have to write new apps to make all the mobile stuff. And on top of that all the other improvements, things like libhandy and so on. You underestimate the work that’s needed for all the basic stuff.

1 Like

that’s the matter of focus on proper mvp and doing it. it’s the basics.

1 Like

Yes, and without the things you don’t see, you would not even be able to turn on your phone.

1 Like

I do not, and some here seem to get the message which is good. It also does confirm the conclusion about priorities, company had 4+ years to get things straight. That’s a while. if company did not have what was necessary to produce mvp key word here is valuable they face the consequences, and those came. If someone gave them a second look because it happened to be, take the feedback. Can not - good luck, customer has their priorities and do those include babysitting depends on the customer and their free time. That would form quite narrow customer base.

1 Like

You’re just speaking about yourself. A very “me” view of things. I am also a customer and a lot of other people are too. They could fix some of your things in no time. But than other people would complain that their stuff is not done after 4 years. Things that are necessary for you are not for others. I don’t care much about file transfer in the way you want to have it. I don’t care about the “video” (whatever video you refering the whole time, I don’t know) and I don’t care about the app store issues. I install apps via apt-command, transfer files with a 3rd party app etc. But I want also 90° rotating lockscreen which many other people may do not care much about, because there are still a lot of backend tasks that are more important. A proper camera API for example or alarm that will wake up suspended phones.

We all have different needs and you cannot blame Purism to not just focus on your personal needs.

3 Likes

It is the documentation from the vendor
https://docs.puri.sm/Librem_5/General/Files.html
I’m not making that up.

Maybe someone else reads mind of the developer, that’s what they put in the doc. Documentation and marketing are 2 different things.

basic migration of the data is: contacts, messages files (media, photo, video, other files in downloads or other locations).

1 Like

libmtp9 is already installed, so you can use the command line or a graphical frontend such as gMTP. Here is a resource for MTP implementations using Linux:

Media Transfer Protocol - ArchWiki

1 Like

Well, where I am (in Europe) the maps usually perfectly serviceable, and when I see something missing, I contribute to https://www.openstreetmap.org to make it better. Apparently people in your area do not know or care … now how is that Purism’s fault? Should they come up with a proprietary maps app and license data? Really? You can use the web browser to view Google Maps or similar, though.

(Side note: GNOME Maps has improved a lot since the version shipped on the Librem 5 by default, can you can also try PureMaps, which is pretty good.)

4 Likes

Thank you to let know it, Carlos Gonzales! Please could you write here how can do that? Just using experimental suspend for 1 minute and then turn on L5 again?
Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Where did they say that it is Purism’s fault? Regardless of fault, the mapping software (and internal GPS) has issues on the device. That’s a fact and, given expected smartphone usage, that should be mentioned in any review.

Why are you trying to push the fault to the “people in your area”. The US is big and it is a fact that OSM is pretty poor in regard to street addresses as well as location searching.

3 Likes

Between, the status.librem.one page not being updated during outages, the shipping estimates not being updated consistently nor reliably to reflect delays, other threads where it has been mentioned that support is understaffed, etc. I think it is much more likely that purism did not update the average response time to reflect the more accurate current average response times.

3 Likes

Probably right.

2 Likes

Most of the complaints are true, yet when I see them enumerated, I feel that the total picture painted is too harsh. There really are moments when I love having my L5, warts and all. I’m not going back to Android/iOS any time soon :person_shrugging:

7 Likes

You are right. However its like the first Computer or the first C64 - you never will hold that power of knowledge and own coding optimization in your hand.

lllibrem5
I am sad that we have not reached some more comprised future. But its just… you have not even that what the librem5 offers on nearly no other device out there. You can use an Android with a self made room. But you have not the apps too.

On a usual one there are so much snitching applications or chrome code or google developer additions to its apps development suit. That you can not be sure it will not kill your privacy.

Apple and Microsoft do the same and Chinas too and Meta too and its kind of a plague - you know.

So yes you have issues. Try to add some stuff. try to use flatpacs. Wait for the update and try to understand Linux Shell scripting and 2000er Web Code and APIs. Use RSS and weget to fetch you important notes and collect them by your own computers or A.i. with Web Access.

And you will end up with a phone that can not take pictures, but deliver you the god like power of the world and did not share your daily data.

Pictures are just an issue cause modern one’s use an A.I. to extract describing information of every picture and camera captured live picture to upload it to others… Alphabet try to use your cpu usage during chrome usage to describe you in real time, and future behavior. Apple and Microsoft too. So feel fine with your phone really. If you miss something try to code it with your mind, to have it. You have and see the data! Really.

1 Like