Librem 5 significant loss in battery life

Howdy,
So I’ve been seeing a significant reduction in battery life for my librem 5 in the past 3 weeks, and I just can’t seem to figure out why.

I’m seeing the following for power usage(all with screen off):
mic/camera off, wifi & modem on: uses 10% of battery power in 15 minutes
mic/camers & wifi/bluetooth off, modem on: 6% of battery life for 15 minutes
all kill switches off: 3% of battery life per 15 minutes

All of these numebrs seem very high for power consumption in comparison to past values

upower reports my battery capacity is 91% so I don’t think it’s batter degradation…
I’ve run top a variety of times and see nohting taking up CPU time. I just don’t und

Random upower run when done with wifi/modem on:

native-path:          max170xx_battery
  power supply:         yes
  updated:              Sun Feb 13 07:01:48 2022 (56 seconds ago)
  has history:          yes
  has statistics:       yes
  battery
    present:             yes
    rechargeable:        yes
    state:               discharging
    warning-level:       none
    energy:              4.29574 Wh
    energy-empty:        0 Wh
    energy-full:         12.7387 Wh
    energy-full-design:  13.8572 Wh
    energy-rate:         4.07365 W
    voltage:             3.72141 V
    time to empty:       1.1 hours
    percentage:          67%
    temperature:         34 degrees C
    capacity:            91.9286%
    technology:          lithium-ion
    icon-name:          'battery-full-symbolic'
  History (charge):
    1644760907	67.000	discharging
  History (rate):
    1644760908	4.074	discharging
    1644760907	3.724	discharging

I’ve tried flashing the phone to factory defaults to no effect.
Any thoughts?

Perhaps this procedure might help (if not tried already):

I think that this charging of battery “until the red LED goes out” will help out and having Librem 5 powered off might provide quite better environment for doing that. With percentage: 67%, as you posted, your battery should pick up around 5V/1.5A from original power supply, I’d expect.

1 Like

Did those, the battery life is the same, however now the capacity reports as 50% which matches the power observations. I guess I need a replacement battery…

3 Likes

If you are in USA. If not the purism shop says they will not ship due to regulations. There is still no EU selling point for purism. How does one replace his batteries if not in the USA? The shop provides no solution. But a solution must be found.

5 Likes

There are some Librem 5 batteries for sale on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=libem+5&_sacat=0

They ship directly from a factory in the PRC. But then you have to be willing to give your PII directly to a factory in the PRC. :wink:

I agree that Purism needs to find a solution for international shipping/supply, though.

2 Likes

I ordered (later in addition to my order from October 7, 2017) to my L5 an additional battery. Both (L5 and battery) arrived in Germany w/o any kind of problem.

2 Likes

China is always a solution… :grinning:

I also ordered a second battery with my L5 but this second battery does not behave as expected (it gets empty faster than the battery that was in the phone). And if it dies, Purism gives me no option to buy a spare battery.

Batteries can only be shipped together with equipment (stupid air carrier regulations impose horrendous fees otherwise), so you could get an extra battery when ordering a phone. But if in a few years you need another battery, then - providing nothing changes during this time - you will be out of luck.

Maybe they could be shipped via, you know, a ship :slight_smile: I can wait 2-3 months for a new battery if I’m certain that it will arrive.

4 Likes

Since we’re looking at unusual solutions:

• travel to the US and get the battery yourself, or
  • send your phone, with battery removed, to Purism and Purism can send the phone back to you containing a battery.

These regulations are a problem and the regulations weren’t created by Purism, nor can Purism realistically get the regulations amended.

But we digress.

So does this translate to … need to charge the phone every 2.5 hours?

I would say that the time to go from 100% to 0% is a better metric than the drop in 15 minutes (where the drop e.g. may not be linear). If you are going from 100% to 0% in 2.5 hours then have you contacted support@puri.sm about that? I wouldn’t assume that the battery is faulty as I expect that the software is still being fine-tuned.

3 Likes

No that is not the problem. The problem is that Purism did not manage to fulfill its promise to have presence in EU. I remind you that it was supposed that L5 for EU will ship from Germany. It did not and this raised its cost for me for more than 60 euros since DHL charges almost nothing to Germany and high amounts to weak European countries like Greece to do the customs handling.

So please top justifying Purism on this. I can understand that it is not a big company and erratically thought they will cover EU with the miserable DHL that pampers its Germany customers. And I do not want to make it politic but I count the euros in my pocket.

1 Like

Um, yeah, but I am not in the EU - but I still have the same problem with getting a replacement battery. So having a presence in the EU goes exactly zero of the way towards solving the actual problem here for me - getting a replacement battery - and the airline regulations that make getting a replacement battery a problem.

Getting more sane airline regulations would solve the problem of getting a replacement battery for everybody.

Yeah the battery definitely doesn’t last long. 2.5 hours seems about right. I’ll time it to completion and contact support.

I faced a similar problem recently: the battery started degrading and in the end broke completely. I was slightly worried when I saw that the purism shop can only ship a replacement battery to Europe together with a phone, however, after contacting support@puri.sm the problem was resolved quickly. I received a replacement battery by now (shipped from a facility in Germany!). So I’d recommend to contact purism support in case the battery becomes unusable :wink: And in retrospect I should have ordered a replacement battery together with the phone …

5 Likes

I have seen Librem 5 batteries for sale on ebay, I actually see batteries for the device on there more than phones for sale. Not sure about the quality or compatibility, but sellers are purporting they are Librem 5 batteries.

2 Likes