Librem 5 Updates/Questions

Hello all (first post).

Some questions I have regarding the Librem 5 (and Librem 5 USA):

1. I see that you can now purchase anti-interdiction services and an OpenPGP card when purchasing the phone. Has a Pure Boot-like tamper evident boot process been implemented? I don’t see any blog posts announcing this (nor announcing the anti-interdiction services for the phone).

2. I’ve read that the Pinephone has open source boot software - how does this work, and could this replace the DDR PHY training blob?

3. How do we update the proprietary blob when an update is available for the M4 core? I’d rather have an ability to update proprietary code, than be stuck with outdated proprietary code and a feel-good FSF certification.

Thank you for your help

3 Likes

AFAIK no, it is still in the work.

Librem 5 has free boot firmware, too. Details:

See also: https://puri.sm/faq/
Will the Librem 5 run coreboot and have the Intel ME neutralized?

Nope. There’s no Intel in Librem 5 at all.

I did not ask the question, I tried to link to the specific question in the FAQ. There is no possibility to create an URL for such question directly. But thank you for confirmation! :slight_smile:

Thanks! I wasn’t aware of a community wiki.

So I guess they are just letting you purchase it in advance?

It mostly does, but it has proprietary blobs loaded on another processor. This doesn’t get rid of them. IIUC, the pinephone does this without any blobs at all, so I was wondering if collaboration could be done to improve Purism’s process, to make it truly free

1 Like

Do you have any link for that? Last I checked, no one had a free DDR4 training code.

1 Like

The wiki links to this article where it states:

On a practical level the PinePhone will be very close to 100% free. It will have proprietary firmware for its Realtek RTL8723CS WiFi/Bluetooth stored in the /lib/firmware directory, whereas the proprietary firmware used by the Redpine Signals RS9116 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth in the Librem 5 is stored in the chip itself. It used to be necessary to use an HDMI blob, a blob to train the DDR PHY timing, and proprietary drivers for Mali graphics in the Allwinner A64 processor in the PinePhone. However, free Lima GPU drivers were recently added to Mesa for the Mali graphics in the PinePhone and the DDR PHY timing is now set with free code.

(I realize the Librem 5 no longer uses proprietary firmware for Wi-Fi/bluetooth).

The link to the supposed free code for the PinePhone DDR PHY timing is this

2 Likes

PinePhone has a much slower DDR3 memory, so DDR4 training issues don’t apply there.

3 Likes

@dos How much slower?

Any possibility to get the Librem 5, replace with DDR3 memory and install PinePhone’s code to get a free-er phone?

The linked code won’t compile for DDR4. Whether it can be enhanced for DDR4 (in a Librem 5) requires knowledge that is an order of magnitude above my pay grade. :wink:

Some info here: Comparing specs of upcoming Linux phones

2 Likes

Almost three times.

No, you’d need to redesign that part of the board.

3 Likes

I can’t find a citation but I believe the memory is soldered down. So even if this actually worked, you would have to be very handy with a soldering iron. How hard would it be to upgrade the RAM on the Librem 5? (asking about upgrading, not downgrading, but I suppose it’s the same challenge)

2 Likes

Makes sense, thanks for the info.

I just use my phone for calls/texts, so I wouldn’t mind the performance hit, but I’m probably out of the ordinary

All questions answered in thread.

Thanks guys!

1 Like

FWIW we’re not the only party interested in freeing that training code as there are other FLOSS-oriented projects using the same SoC, so hopefully that may happen at some point.

4 Likes

FYI, just a few hours ago, Kyle said in the L5 Matrix channel that, thanks to several devs work, “smart card reader works in my Librem 5”.
So, that would be a first step.

5 Likes

… unless someone wants Librem Key integration.

Awesome!

Thanks