Librem 6 Look Ahead Wishlist

So, it wasn’t the port that was to blame in the first place? (I hope.)

16" laptop would be killer! i hope it is not a a widescreen display optimized for watchching movies though and instead has more of an Apple Macbook 16" aspect ratio designed for productivity in mind.

Well I guess

to be announced in the coming months

means that they aren’t announcing these two products now. :wink:

Is that good or bad?

I think people have different ideas about what is a good aspect ratio. I’m happy with 16:9 (which is, yes, movies, and, for me, photos).

We’ll probably just have to wait and see what the specifications are, for both the tablet and the laptop.

No, definitely the cable.

I hope to ditch the cables when Bluetooth can deal with phone calls. For now, it’s male/male out of the jack to a splitter, with one more cable to an external mic on my visor, and another to the aux for my head unit. That aux is another adapter that creates the aux from the cable unplugged from multi-cd player. LOTS of patches, lots of potential failure points!

16:9. Librem 11 from 2016 was:

Intel Core M-5Y10c processor
2.0 GHz
2 Cores (4 Threads)
4.5W
8 to 10 hours battery life
16GB maximum memory
DDR3L 1600MHz
2 Mega pixel front camera
5 Mega pixel rear camera
11.6" 1920x1080p FHD eDP panel
M.2 22*80
802.11n wireless
RF hardware kill switch
Mic/Camera kill switch
2 stereo speakers
1 DC-in port
1 Audio jack
1 USB 3.0 port
1 micro HDMI 1.4a port
1 microSD
1 4G NGFF slot
1 Micro-SIM slot
1 2048 pressure pen stylus
Sensors including accelerometer, e-compass, gyroscope, and ambient light
Trackpad & touchscreen
Fanless design
296mm x 189mm x 11mm (11.65" x 7.44" x .43")
850g (1.87lbs)

Other specs will change like USB-C, but ratio unlikely to change.

carlosgonzRegular

8d

Please please :pray: @francois-techene add this to Librem 5 Fir:

• add Nokia N900 SIM and SD Socket trays, (current evergreen trays it is a shame)
  • 2 premium speaker, (current evergreen mono speaker it is shame)
  • 4 GiB RAM
  • 128 GiB ROM
  • 5000 mAh Battery
  • 5G-nr-lte module, open of docs.
  • reversing engenering the sparklan module firmware to free software. (current status is a shame)
  • reduce weight and thickness to L5 body.
  • add a thermal sensor camera
  • add a fancy desing to L5 Fir body
  • add a dedicate radio fm & transmitter controller.
  • add infrared controller next to 3.5mm jack
  • add NFC controller
  • add a micro fan to convergence mode to slow down the temperature from core then run cpu at full.
  • labeling Librem-5-Fir-Professional to meaning longevity & genuine electronics

Design
Switch the g & n

My wishes:

1. NFC
  2. kill switch for GNSS
  3. Some secure option for booting phone via Jumpdrive (password or certificate, for prevent other people from booting my phone)

Why? GNSS is “receive only”.

Should we carry the “phone” and a camera separately, and oh, what about WiFi, Internet, Texting, and all the apps that go with it. After all, it’s just a phone as you say.
If all you think it is, is just a phone and assuming you bought a L5, then why?

If it’s going to be a camera AS WELL AS a “phone”, what’s the problem with having a modern competitive phone w/ 3-lens camera, Internet, texting, calculator, graphic arts app, …?

Try to sell a “phone” without camera. Who wants, or even needs just a phone these days. One can’t go into some restaurants and order from a menu without grabbing the menu via QR codes.

~s

2 Likes

Just NFC please. Tailoring a fob to unlock would be a dream for my use case.
(And a tablet too, please!)

That’s difficult to do given the constraint that Purism never wants to prevent you booting whatever you want on your phone - and Purism doesn’t want to be the gatekeeper of what you can boot (which exposes them to coercion). (That is the approach of Big Tech, restricting you and empowering Big Tech in the name of “protecting you”.) So any signature / certificate etc. would have to be provided by you.

That is also difficult to do given that this is a recovery option. That is, if you bork your phone and the only way of fixing it is booting Jumpdrive (or booting anything else via USB) but part of the thing that got borked is the signature / certificate etc. that allows booting … (Classic example here: yeah but what if you forget the password? Will you accept that your phone is an expensive brick?)

There’s nothing wrong with what you are asking for but I don’t expect to see it until the Librem 5 has a similar level of boot protection as compared with the laptops.

The priority for doing something like this for a phone is lower because you can in most circumstances expect to retain custody of your phone at all times. You don’t have to worry about an Evil Maid attack to the same extent that you do with a laptop.

I don’t use the second (rear facing) camera much on my iPhone but, as you say, Samsung and Apple are setting market expectations that one (rear facing) camera is not good enough.

Multiple cameras can be used for capturing 3-D images and for switching between a narrower field of view and a wider field of view.

I think it’s a fine line to be walked (i.e. how much camera functionality exists) but I think ultimately the market itself has spoken and I think that @wimdows is incorrect … every phone is expected to be a camera too.

2 Likes

More and more I’m convinced that the L6 should have a physical keyboard.
So that would be on my wishlist.

1 Like

That is what I do: I have my phone/pocket computer, and I carry a real camera, with a decent size sensor. Been doing that for 20 odd years. Phone camera’s rely too much on software for real photography.
A fancy camera just offers unnecessary hardware clutter.
This doesn’t go for the other things you mention.

Loads of shitty cables on the market these days!

Better as accessory that can be clipped to the phone. The reason for my first smartphone was the touch keyboard. I hate physical keyboards with too little keys and I love my custom Squeekboard.

Also keep in mind that a physical keyboard would only support US-layout (or maybe one or two more) and many customers living outside the US with many different standard keyboard layouts.

I haven’t had the time but since I started this whole discussion it is on me to parse all your comments, and I will, to tabulate and maybe graphically represent all the user feedback so there is sortof a frequency of mentions for certain hardware features.

What I am wondering is whether bluetooth could run independently, have a independent chip from Wifi, maybe that could reduce some of the issues we have seen in the future and possibly provide reduced power use. It would be nice if the bluetooth chip would support very lower power devices and protocols such as ANT to allow it to talk to sensors and devices used for example when exercising or bicycling where with bluetooth on I want 10 hours or runtime.

We already have WPAN LE for such things as ANT is a proprietary, also we already have WLAN LE too so you need perform this technologies, moreover there are tons tons of features and bug fixes on the upcoming gnu crimson.

For crimson one of the main Debian innovations was having proprietary drivers included, why not free if packaged these simply could be enabled by the user if there is a need for that technology. I am not sure about the required certification part though and whether Purism would have to get their device certified to be ANT compliant, I mean it is a good standard and technically there is nothing better for low power, the WPAN LE, WLAN LE does it offer similar performance is one question, the other are there any fitness devices that support WPAN LE, WLAN LE is the other.

1 Like

That would not be practical using the L5 while moving around.
I see your point about the language layouts, however the current solution (squeekboard) is far from ideal.
Using the L5 in landscape mode together with squeekboard is impossible.
My nokia 9300i screen is so much smaller, has far lower resolution and yet there is far more readable info on the screen compared to the L5.
Also, I can enter data and still see other relevant objects at the same time.

This is in my experience mostly caused by displaying the keyboard on the same screen as the opened app.
The soft. keyboard needs too much precious space from the needed screen.