Librem AweSIM extended service outage

Operations is in possession of test SIMs and testing is still underway. Port-out appears more promising, but I’ll defer to future email messaging approvals for official clarification on this regard. I don’t want to express candid opinions and over-promise anything.

The previous reseller had gone bankrupt. Simple as that. This caused an emergency response for service continuity on Purism’s part. This occured before I was a subscriber and before I was as active on this forum, so I don’t know much more than that.

FWIW, I’m a SIMple subscriber and I also have skin in the game, just as many others here. I’ve used my number continually for approx 25 years, so I also have significant personal interest in successful port-outs during this migration.

14 Likes

I got a call on my outateg’ed phone today.

It was just another marketing cold call, like all the others. (I never gave my phone number out.)

Knowing that I’m allegedly going to get a new number with a new (awe)sim card and they’ll never call me again, I gave a hearty F-you and hung up.

3 Likes

In Germany we have the situation that the phone number is always YOURS and can “easily” transferred to a new operator if necessary.

So we have no need for something like AWEsim and could use the SIM from our favourite operator.

Uwe

2 Likes

Are there any updates? It’s been absolute silence since the last email that I believe was sent out on Sunday. I’ve had ZERO phone service for a week. I also tested how the Purism AweSIM’s do indeed show, via text notification, that anyone texting those numbers appear to be blocked. I text my number from a friend’s phone, and sure enough, “Free Msg: Receiver XXXXXXXXXXX unable to receive message - Message Blocking is active.” Copied/pasted the prompt…just put the X’s for the number. This is brutal

3 Likes

In an email from wireless-support@puri.sm they said it might be one or two weeks till they get it up and running again.
On a sidenote: I lost service for a couple days but then I was back up and running again. (I think I have a different backend carrier through AweSIM, because I needed AT&T service)

2 Likes

That error string is 100% unfortunate and (I think…?) is dependent on the MVNE. (But I’m speaking out of my depth here.) I’m not entirely sure that it is only shown when a number is inactive, as I’ve seen (or been informed of that message) while my number was active.

• Calls work and testing shows that voice call quality is significantly improved over the previous carrier
  • SMS works
  • MMS mostly works but we are troubleshooting sporadic message delivery unreliability
    • uncertain if carrier issue or ModemManager bug, etc.
    • devs are investigating but don’t want to extend the outage longer than absolutely necessary
  • Data works and some testers have reported similar or slightly improved performance
  • Voicemail currently does not work
    • working with the new carrier to get this enabled
    • solution appears to be entirely in the hands of the carrier
  • User experience with SIM migration is not elegant
    • we’re working hard to improve this before shipping the SIMs and receiving a flood of angry/confused support tickets
  • Porting appears fully supported
    • still some unknowns with the previous carrier regarding responsiveness/expediency
    • confident that no numbers will be lost to the void.

We already have possession of replacement SIMs and, upon satisfactory testing, we anticipate expedient shipping to all confirmed shipping addresses. Activation and (optional) porting will occur post-delivery for privacy and security reasons.

I’ve reached out to the carrier to see if we can conduct additional testing and teleconferencing over the weekend. Awaiting response.

7 Likes

Stand by for more updates and please check your email for official announcements.

4 Likes

Did everyone on AweSIM get this email?

Dear valued AweSIM subscriber,

Hardware compatibility and reliability tests of replacement carrier
SIMs have been performed on Librem 5 devices using BM818-A1 (North
America) modems. Testing is nearly complete and Purism is
continuing to actively communicate with the carrier to expediently
resolve any outstanding performance or user experience concerns.

Purism has received all replacement SIMs and is shipping to all
confirmed addresses ASAP. SIM activation and (optional) porting
will occur post-delivery for privacy and security reasons. Also
included in the shipment are instructions for activation, porting
(optional) and software configuration.

Calls:

Inbound/outbound calls work. Purism also received unsolicited
feedback from 3 sources stating that the call quality is
significantly improved over the previous carrier.

SMS:

Inbound/outbound SMS messages work.

MMS:

MMS service is not currently reliable. The replacement carrier and
Purism’s engineering department are investigating the issue, but
will avoid extending the outage longer than absolutely necessary.

Data:

Data works. Speed tests meet or exceed performance with the
previous carrier.

Voicemail:

Standard voicemail works. Setup instructions will be provided with
the replacement SIM shipment.

Porting (optional):

Porting out from the previous carrier is fully supported, and
porting a number to the new carrier is undergoing testing. Upon
delivery, please follow the included instructions to ensure prompt
activation and porting of your existing number to the new carrier.
We take this matter seriously and rely on your timely cooperation
to ensure that this transition is as seamless as possible.

Again, we sincerely apologize for this extended outage and greatly
appreciate your continued support and patience as we resolve it.

Purism, SPC.

5 Likes

@JCS

Are our SIMs shipping and when is an ETA for when we will begin receiving them?

3 Likes

Yes, I got that too. Hoping to hear another update on shipping, MMS status, and the porting timeframe.

5 Likes

I have a Purism SIM in my nonPurism phone. I’m still down.

2 Likes

I feel the pain. We are all connected to our phone numbers. When they are out of service, living stops, business stops…We are going on 2 weeks…
I’ve got to keep my number or it will be very tedious to change accounts and contacts

3 Likes

Well, now I know. I didn"t know what happened…T-Mobile would not agree to Purism’s privacy terms!
I guess this is the same reason why ATT, and Verizon went dark too. They were back up in 1-2 days.

1 Like

I think you need to be considering the MVNO, not the MNO. But I don’t know any more details than you do.

3 Likes

I noticed today that WiFi calling, calls over cellular, and text messages work again now from my phone with puri.sm service. Data is still off.

4 Likes

SIMs have already begun shipping. The remaining SIMs are being sent in batches as the parcels are packaged.

Welcome to the forum! I hope all your future visits are under better conditions. :slight_smile:

Disclosure: Calls/texts working is good news but is considered a temporary artifact of system migration and will likely not equally affect all AweSIM customers.

3 Likes

I am not using the phone daily so I am standing by for replacement sim.

If that is the case those are good marks. AweSIM - more privacy than those other guys want you to have!

2 Likes

@JCS Can you elaborate on

Disclosure: Calls/texts working is good news but is considered a temporary artifact of system migration and will likely not equally affect all AweSIM customers.

My calls/texts similarly started working, but no data or MMS.

2 Likes

Customers who HAVE confirmed shipping information:

all SIMs will have been mailed out by this week.

Customers who HAVE NOT confirmed shipping information:

your phone numbers will no longer be able to be ported out from the previous carrier as of the end of this month, March 2024. In other words, if you do not confirm your shipping information by the end of this month, your phone numbers will be inaccessible by Purism and will emerge in the public number pool.

3 Likes

Will I receive any confirmation of my confirmation email?
I have sent 3 emails to support@ confirming my address and I still don’t know if my SIM is coming.

5 Likes