Librem5 import contacts from file

Has the fix been released though?

Good point, looks like it’s still calls version 0.2.0 on amber-phone with the latest updates:

purism@pureos:~$ apt list calls
Listing... Done
calls/amber-phone 0.2.0 arm64

Then that fix has not been released yet, at least not for amber-phone. Maybe it is released for byzantium, I don’t know.

Hello I replied via email but I will leave the same reply here as well.

This issue will be solved in the next version of pureOS Byzantium, as a workaround if you add the country prefix to the phone number them the call button from the contacts app works.

To import contacts from a vcard file (.vcf) you can install librem5-goodies application. The feature to add contacts from a csv file is being worked on in upstream GNOME contacts.

Hello João

It’s getting stranger and stranger:

I had already added 33 (but not +33) to some numbers to test but it didn’t work.
I also tried to update but it didn’t seem to work.

After your message I added +33 to my wife’s numbers (landline and mobile).
The call worked on her mobile but not on our landline.

I then did the same test with a friend: both calls (landline and mobile) worked.

Then I tried the update again and this time it worked.
But, since this update, the calls from the “Contacts” application do not work anymore!!?!!!

The mystery thickens…

I take advantage of this message to ask you if you know approximately when the “Byzantium” update will take place.

Sincerely,
Patrick

What is the correct number :
+330955364534 ?
+33955364534 ?
+33 09 55 36 45 34 ?
+33 9 55 36 45 34 ?

1 Like

Now I get this message in the « Calls » application : « Can’t place calls : No voice-capable modem available » ??!!??

The problem is solved: I had made a mistake with the phone numbers of my house! Sorry to have wasted your time.
With +33 everything works fine.
However, I think it should be made clear to the buyers.

Have a nice day,
Sincerely,
Patrick

1 Like

Strangely though I never include the ‘+’ and country code (that would just be clutter for me) and it has always worked.

hi all i installed the librem5-goodies and used the contacts importer to import a .vcf file however no contacts are imported.

i used the same vcf file to import contacts in waydroid and all contacts show up.

can anyone please help ?

Did you get an error message or just no contacts imported?

What version of .vcf file?

the version is v3. i dont think so i got any error message.

Maybe also check the points mentioned here: Librem 5 Can't import my VCF file using the the Contacts Importer script in particular whether the name of the .vcf file contains any characters that are not shell-safe.

One could use this small script to load a complete CSV file into the contacts database:

#!/bin/sh

CONTACTDB=$(syncevolution --print-databases | grep "system-address-book" | sed 's#(.*##' | sed 's# ##g' )
echo $CONTACTDB

FILE=$1
TEMP=/tmp/vcf

mkdir -p $TEMP
cd $TEMP
cat $FILE | awk ‘ /BEGIN:VCARD/ { ++a; fn=sprintf(“card_import_L5_%02d.vcf”, a); print “Writing: “, fn } { print $0 » fn; } ‘ $1
#
for f in *; do
     syncevolution --import ${f} backend=evolution-contacts database=${CONTACTDB}
done

hi @guru sorry for being a noob, how to run this script (save it as contact.sh and run ./contact.sh file.csv) ?

I have modified the script setting FILE=$1 and so just run

./contact.sh /home/purism/file.csv

(note the file name as fully qualified)

Contacts app has been updated (Version 43-beta) with vCard Import to/from a file on the system. Also warns you about any configuration issues in your primary address book.

Link to online accounts available as well.

3 Likes

Very nice update. Finally one can see the phone numbers without going into edit mode. Thanks to all who made this happen.

2 Likes

I found a cheesy way to import my contacts file.

I setup my librem.one email in Geary.

On my old droid, I exported my contacts file (internally). It defaults to Contacts.vcf

Then I got into my email on my old 'droid and emailed to myself as an attachment to Geary on my Librem5.

Then I got into geary on my new phone, opened the email and saved the attachment.

Then I got into my Contacts on my new phone and imported it.

1 Like

Desperation is the mother of invention.

Good thing Librem One mail is E2EE. :+1:

Doing that over unencrypted email potentially subjects your list of contacts (and their private data) to exposure/theft across various internet servers on the way from you to you. BTW, you could have just saved it as an attachment in your LibremOne account, then opened it on the other device, right?

(Preaching to the choir here, though. Lol!)

Well it was sent from a librem one email account to another.

The highest risk of exposure is the original 'droid. With every pick-a-ninny app wanting access to all one’s files anyway. If so it has already been collected before I started.

In-between internet servers, yes could be exposed. And would also be liable. They have a vested interest in keeping thier own data protected. Usually this gets revealed years later in some news announcement about a breach. Should I wait for the class action case where millions have to be paid? Each individual household would get two dollars and eighty-five cents in a settlement check.

The next highest risk of exposure is where it got sent to. Which was a librem.one email account. Exposure would mean the librem.one server is compromised. That would be news.

The least risk would be active monitoring and collection of data in the pipe. Less likely unless I’m monitored. But those kind of folks with that ability don’t sell what they collect, no? They’re more apt to file it within their agency. (And for only 90 days if collected for training purposes.)

1 Like