LibreOffice not loading after update yesterday

Yes, I did try using the command line, and it didn’t make any difference for me. Editing the app armor looks interesting but I don’t think I am going to risk the headaches given a workaround (AppImage) that is already working for me.
And thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and information.

2 Likes

I was having the same issue for the past few days. I saw that there was an AppArmor update today so I upgraded and it seems to be working now!

To be clear, what I had done before is a complete uninstall of LibreOffice on my system ($ sudo apt purge libreoffice-common) and I have not tinkered with AppArmor or its profiles. I just upgraded after seeing the recent AppArmor update, then reinstalled LibreOffice from the repo.

$ sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
$ sudo apt install libreoffice-common --install-suggests -y
$ sudo apt install libreoffice-writer libreoffice-calc libreoffice-impress libreoffice-draw --install-suggests -y

e: @mike16437 mentions that a complete uninstall of LO is not required to get it working again! Before resorting to a complete uninstall, please try a simple $ sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade. Hopefully, that will resolve the issue without having to uninstall either LO or AppArmor.

4 Likes

Didn’t even need to uninstall LibreOffice, just did the sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y and it’s all working again! Thanks!

2 Likes

This issue does seem to be fixed after updating this morning.

@nochelibre, that apparmor-utils bug also seems to be fixed. The dependency was changed and I could install this package.

2 Likes

@Wayne Yes, it got fixed and I was also able to install the apparmor-utils package. Also fixed was the LibreOffice launch issue. Unfortunately, my Librem 15V3 just died tonight. I was working with it and suddenly it just powered off. First I thought maybe it was the battery and I had forgotten to plug in the charger, but the charger was plugged in. Not seeing the power light, I checked the voltage output on the charger and it was the specified 19VDC. Wiggling the connector gave no joy. Had to grab some backed-up files and fire up my trusty 12-year-old iMac running Lubuntu so I could come back here and then Email support. The saga continues. :slight_smile:

I saw app armor in the list of updates this morning and thought great! As usual, I selected restart and update. My librem restarted… but no automatic update! I manually opened a terminal window to sudo apt update &&… As soon as I started the update, the Software app woke up, oh yeah we have updates? At least the manual update did the trick, LibreOffice is back to working as normal.

1 Like

Definitely get in touch with support, they should be able to help.

Thanks, @jeremiah , Mladen is already helping me ship the Librem 15v3 back for warranty repair. Funny timing as tomorrow I had a friend coming over and I was going to show them how great the laptop was and how great GNU/Linux has become. They’re ready to dump Apple as well. :slight_smile:

Also funny is I’m typing this from an almost 13-year-old machine: a 2006 Apple iMac - the first Intel machine Apple made (32-bit Core Duo). I’m running Lubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, and it’s been rock solid, as has the hardware.

Of course, it’s not quite as fast as the Librem 15.

2 Likes

Mladen is very helpful, so you’re in touch with the right person. :slight_smile:

Too bad that the Librem wasn’t in better shape to show your friend, that is a powerful way to spread the news. Glad to hear at least you’re able to use an older machine to communicate.

@jeremiah Yes, he is, and my Libem 15 is on its way back to HQ. Will be interesting to find out what component failed.

Yes, if you use a computer every day, you really need a spare. I’ve rescheduled with my friend so they can see the modern equipment after I get it back. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Good luck and Godspeed!!

@jeremiah Thank you!

I removed apparmor via sudo apt purge apparmor*, which did not fix the issue for me. Fortunately, following your instructions to purge and then re-install LibreOffice fixed things. Now I’m wondering, should I re-install apparmor? It looks like the purge removed apparmor-notify, -profiles, -easyprof, -profiles-extra and -utils

I believe there were updates recently to both applications, apparmor and LibreOffice. I would just make certain you have the latest. The list looks right, but I admit doing it from memory; I do not have access to my Librem right now.

PS. I checked and only have apparmor itself, -profiles, and -utils installed. That does not mean you would not use the others on your system.

2 Likes

@Wayne mentions that they only have apparmor, apparmor-utils, & apparmor-profiles installed on their system and LO is working fine.

Since those 3 apparmor packages are working in tandem w/ LO on their system, I would recommend starting with installing just those 3 packages and seeing if LO continues to work for you. If so, try installing the remaining packages that the apparmor purge deleted and see if LO still works after that.

Keep us updated on the thread to let others know what worked for you!

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions, @Wayne and @paanvaannd

I re-installed all of the apparmor packages mentioned above and LibreOffice applications seem to be working properly. To be explicit, these include:

apparmor-notify
apparmor-profiles
apparmor-easyprof
apparmor-profiles-extra
apparmor-utils

1 Like