List of Apps that fit and function well [Post them here.]

Yes, it works. “4G” indicator remains in notification area during calls, as well. (For my Ting SIM, at least.)

I had to make volume adjustments, by the way. (To remove some noise from touching the phone.) Calls sound good.

1 Like

In order to get soundcloud to work on your Librem 5 in the terminal for yt-dlp you have to:

sudo install pip
pip install yt-dlp
yt-dlp https://on.soundcloud.com/9MeJFBWQqZ3eRiB88

This downloads all the phonica record mix series! The link is created by going online or through a soundcloud app and select share the stream, copy link and it will generate these static links.

The most annoying thing is actually trying to login to SoundCloud since the spam robot blocker does not allow login, even with VPN off, firefox fingerprinting prevention, and any other blocker off. So annoying- you have to use a device like an iPhone to even login.

It downloads all the streams in the /Home folder and not sure yt-dlp has a setting to define the folder the stream is supposed to be downloaded in?

1 Like

Looks like you’re using an older firmware version than me, so I wonder if something broke with the new firmware? I cannot make VoLTE calls even though everything is enabled to do so.

1 Like

Yep. So it seems.

See: BM818 Modem Firmware version

you maybe using the newest firmware using the commands shown whats your output?

In the terminal:

mmcli -L

then with output … /Modem/1…

mmcli --modem=1

Output:

firmware revision: MPSS.J0.2.0.2.c1.1-0032-9607_GENNS_PACK-1 1 [Feb 25 2019 01:00:00]

Which is the newest firmware for my US based modem as of Feb 2023.

See: VoLTE support progress

1 Like

The firmware revision from my newly installed BM818-A1 card (that I recently purchased because I was experiencing unsolvable SMS/MMS problems, and which solved my problems) is:

firmware revision: MPSS.J0.2.0.2.c1.1-0032-9607_GENNS_PACK-1.351938.1 1 [Nov 26 2020 02:00:00]

1 Like

Probably best to transfer this discussion to the VoLTE progress thread, so as to keep this thread focused on app demos.
Thanks. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This is what I have as well.

Grpn Calculator is a Reverse Polish Notation calculator for you RPN heads out there.
$ sudo apt install grpn

This is the opening screen:

Tapping on “File” at the upper left corner show a pop-up menu:

“Clear” resets the calculator so that all numbers in the stack are cleared.
“Options” brings up the calculator’s settings:

Missing from the calculator is a key-click option to give audio feedback on key presses.
The application fits without issue on the L5 screen, without need for scaling.
However, Byzantium doesn’t classify it as a mobile-friendly app, for some reason.
Apart from that, it’s a welcome addition to my L5.

5 Likes

Just got motivated to try LyX, and it is fully functional on mobile!

This shows selecting items off the screen on the toolbar.

This shows that selecting a footnote via touch opens the footnote edit view.

This shows that outline view might not be too usable, but note that all the text on the right is fit to the visible area. Note: I had trouble clicking the upper right corner ‘x’, but could still easily close the outline from the toolbar view menu.

7 Likes

FreetuxTV:

Top row, 2nd from left:

Scaled using Compositor in phosh Mobile-Settings (I’ve already added several groups from a long list in various languages):

Selecting a channel (double-tap):

TV channel opens in a new window (swipe up to dismiss):

…and does not preview in the app’s main screen the way it would on a desktop computer (i.e. a quirk/bug):

Prefs:

Loaded channel groups:

Add new groups:

A more extensive list of free streams from Free-TV on github:

New group added:

Playing a radio station from the new group (no new window required):

Searching by keyword (exact name or an included word):

Playing TV station (opens new window):

Can I just say:
YESSSSS!!
:+1:

6 Likes

P.S. I also use FreetuxTV to stream from my Raspberry Pi 4B to my TV. Works great!

1 Like

Is this a flatpak or a regular app?

You can find it in PureOS Store: https://software.pureos.net/package/bin/byzantium/freetuxtv

Just installed it from command line:

root@librem5:~# apt-get install freetuxtv

4 Likes

Or without being logged in as root just sudo apt install. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Correction: “bm818-tools” should be in lower case.

It’s nice to have it working. I had it running on different linux machines over the years. But is there anything on?!

I installed it and loaded three different playlists, but they all seem to be outdated and mostly empty.

(Besides the one mentioned above. I found two others. Check for yourselves:

https://iptv-org.github.io/iptv/index.nsfw.m3u)

Is anybody still working on these playlists?
Would it be possible to get rid of all the dross?

Why is there no decent clock/alarm app?!

The clocks app that comes with the L5 does not fit the screen very well, and - more importantly - it does not offer the possibility to pick a custom wake-up sound.
The gtk clock app that is also in the store, does offer custom ringtones, and it fits the screen better than the gnome clock app. So, it would appear to be the better option, were it not for the fact that the dialog for picking a sound does not show the file system, because the window in which it should appear is only one line high.

Does anybody know an alternative?

Clock from KDE: List of Apps that fit and function well [Post them here.] (I not tested it, only read about it here)