List of Apps that fit and function well [Post them here.]

You dont by chance have a Yubikey to test out on the phone do you. USB-C plug in key /touch for 2FA. ect…YubiKey

1 Like

No, sorry.

1 Like

German AusweisApp2:

You have to scale it down slightly to see everything. Initial screens ask if you want to save your history on your device and if you want to set a PIN or already have one. Then:

2 Likes

There’s a bug in Mesa/etnaviv (insufficient locking) that makes some X11 apps behave this way. I’ve seen some activity on getting it fixed upstream, so it should eventually go away with some update :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Now that we can play animatch, supertux cart, Billard what about Warzone 2100 next? :sweat_smile:

Is this open source?

Is this available as a native ARM application for Linux? Web application? Or via what other mechanism is it available for the Librem 5?

I remember getting a battletech board game written in Java working on my n900 along time ago. It would be cool if that was still working and we could get it on here. I’ll try to remember the name. It should still be on my n900.

Edit: just looked it up, was called Megamek.

So you copy the .jar file(s) / .class files across from the n900 over to the L5 and it works. :slight_smile: (For those who might not get the joke, Java reality sits somewhere between “write-once-run-everywhere” and “write-once-debug-everywhere”.)

What is the exact state of Java on the L5, @amarok? Is that something that you have looked into at all? (Only really asking about the JRE. Not expecting to develop and build Java applications on the L5.)

No idea…

1 Like

It’s a flatpak that is available in PureOS store if you’ve added the Flathub repo:

Do note the last paragraph in the store description which I posted originally:

And the following statement is from github:

AusweisApp2

Der Quellcode wird unter der EUPL v1.2 bereitgestellt. Ausnahme: Die Bibliothek OpenSSL, die unter der OpenSSL License / SSLeay License lizensiert ist. Die Datei “LICENSE.officially.txt” gilt ausschließlich für die offizielle Version der AusweisApp2, welche von der Governikus GmbH & Co. KG im Auftrag des Bundes bereitgestellt wird.

2 Likes

So in principle it could eventually be added to a PureOS repo and supplied natively? (in the interests of encouraging openness from government)

I note that the app does not appear to be sandboxed, which could raise security concerns unless you have audited the code.

This was the real question I was asking.

Aren’t flatpaks sandboxed anyway? Or am I confusing that with snaps? Or am I completely wrong?

1 Like

It would be cool to know if snaps were working as well.

As this is unanswered so far I can share my experience on the PP PMOS, as I don’t have an L5, yet. I guess it will be similar on the L5.

I did not do extensive testing, but basically it runs. I think I installed OpenJDK as usually. I can look that up later. I wrote a little first test with a Swing GUI with a frame and a button. The program starts but the frame is empty and I can’t see the button. I guess non-Swing programs will run fine.

Edit:

pine64-pinephone:~$ java -version
openjdk version “1.8.0_252”
OpenJDK Runtime Enviroment (IcedTea 3.16.0) (Alpine 8.252.09-r0)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.252-b09, mixed mode)

I don’t know, but the screen shot showed it greyed out - and that would make me nervous. It might be sandboxed by default. Or it might not be. Even if it is sandboxed, you would want to know what local resources, if any, it has access to / what permissions, if any, it has.

You can use Flatseal to control any flatpak’s permissions on a very detailed basis. No guarantees, of course.

Plus, when setting up the Ausweis app:

…and there are other privacy and security settings within the app. (I’ve already uninstalled it, so I don’t remember what, exactly. I can check again if anyone really, really wants to know.)

Not being German, I don’t know how necessary or useful this app is for daily transactions, but I thought I would demo it, so as not to appear too English-centric. So, it’s there if anybody thinks they want to use it.
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Very cool that you have an open-source ID app in Germany! In Sweden we only have closed source ones from the banks that will never come to Linux.

1 Like

On the L5, this yields: “command not found,” if that helps.

1 Like

apt search delivers a lot packages. One of it is “openjdk-11-jre”

1 Like