Low disk space - how to clean out garbage?

Correct, you don’t need the one with the dot.
But ‘active’ isn’t a directory, it’s a link pointing to the non-dot prefixed dir (I had only one).
My folder currently contains:

9189a0c9b3c5495ad643b79bdd1b941df088ab3edc629172d4210b33d02c405a
active -> 9189a0c9b3c5495ad643b79bdd1b941df088ab3edc629172d4210b33d02c405a
.timestamp

It works … but I don’t take any responsibilities :slight_smile:

Okay. Thanks.
No complaints yet about the new leaner one. I’ll wait a bit before I delete anything.

Where exaclty is Flatpak in the /home directory?
And where is that generaljournal cache at?

I think he means

~/.local/share/flatpak

Try

sudo journalctl --vacuum-time=10d

it’s been explained above, on this thread

1 Like

Ah, okay. Thanks.
Just checking whether it was the same journal cleaning instruction I had seen before, or another one. It’s the same.

And the cache in the flatpak dir is empty.

Hello:

To follow up on this:

1. Can somebody please help us poor souls who have Librem 5 and want to install Flatpaks without unecessary bloat? I realize Purism has other things to do, but this is a silly issue.

2. Doing things on my own, again, I took a whim and used this command:

rm -r /var/lib/flatpak/appstream/flathub/aarch64

That deleted the whole directory and files in it. I got rid of about 2 GB of what appear to be unnecessary bloat.

Warning, I am a novice and I guarantee nothing! Run that command at your own risk.

I hope that helps someone. There have been no adverse effects on my us of Flatpak apps on the phone - yet.

I just reflash the latest Evergreen LUKS and DAS U-Boot images to deal with bloat or misconfigurations. Far more often I do it due to the latter than the former, since I hardly install anything to begin with.

Ok. Thank you. Can you make it easy on me and tell me how to easily do that?

1 Like

The following official documentation may get you pointed in the right direction: https://docs.puri.sm/Librem_5/Troubleshooting/Reflashing.html

3 Likes

Here is a high-level overview:

1. Download, verify, and install the PureOS 10.3 image on a USB drive using disk-writing software such as balenaEtcher.

2. Boot into the PureOS USB live image.

3. Follow the instructions listed by Irvine Wade above this post, or alternatively this one below.

3 Likes

See flatsweep (use on own risk).

4 Likes

You just saved me 1.6 GB of space. Merci beaucoup!

2 Likes

I took the risk and did:
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/flatpak/appstream
This resulted in 4.3GB of extra storage. I did not notice any negative side effects, but use at own risk.
The growing /var/lib/flatpak/appstream is a bug that is fixed in a newer flatpak release.

1 Like

Doing a sudo rm -r .* in var/lib/flatpak/appstream/flathub/aarch64 works too, and it is somewhat less drastic.

6 Likes

Well done! Bought me three to four times more than vacuum.

2 Likes