Mail problems...why?

The only way to get to the bottom of that is to examine the details. For privacy reasons that is best dealt with offline via support, although I see that you said that you don’t wish to engage with support.

If that can’t be diagnosed then it is the fault of the sending software. See whether the sending software has an option to provide a log file of some kind. The log file would shed light on what is happening. However, see the first paragraph above.

What sending software are you using? Thunderbird, for example, is usually pretty reliable about either delivering the email to the next hop or reporting a comprehensible error.

Yes, this is the worst. Unfortunately there is almost nothing that the sender can do about that. I see this from time to time i.e. the receiving email server accepts the mail (rather than rejecting it up front) but then does not deliver it.

I have not myself had a problem with sending to gmail even when I have been having IP address reputation issues. So probably Google marches to the beat of its own drum - and getting on some tinpot blacklist used by minnow players won’t automatically kill your access to gmail.

For the record I’m having the same issue. Have missed a bunch of messages today. Hopefully sitting in queue and will be delivered at some point.

I tested L-One to L-One account. That works.

Other than that, it is the quietest my mail has been in a while… One email came through, but I suspect a lot are being blocked.

We had a few paid email accounts that were used for spam. We investigated and shut it down once we became aware of it but now we have to clean up the resulting mess. We are working on remote providers like gmail now, as we become aware of them, but remote providers often knee-jerk to add hosts to a block list, and take their time to remove them.

I should add that among other things, to speed up resumption of service we also took the more extreme step of changing the IP of our MX servers, so services that are strictly based on IP reputation should be fine. It’s the ones like gmail that use other metrics that might take some time.

Thank you for the Heads up. Maybe post if progress is made, Regards.

I should also note that because Librem Mail is a paid service, it’s rare for someone to actually pay for an account and then use it for spam. It’s just one extra hurdle that makes automating spam on our platform more difficult than on a free email platform. That said if someone is willing to go to the trouble and expense, it’s possible. In addition to resolving this particular issue, we are working on additional steps behind the scenes to detect and stop this sort of thing faster.

2 Likes

Current status looks to be that the two IP’s that have mx records are:

138.201.176.94 (currently on the barracuda blacklist)
162.243.130.145 (currently on the uceprotectl2/3 blacklists)

Diligent efforts noted. No email here as of yet. It was up for a short while yesterday. But that was all.

Hopefully lost incoming emails were not sent to the bit-bucket. There could be people needing invoices for example. In other words I should have a 4 days worth incoming email waiting to appear.

If you can not send email, you can not forward email.

Normally in the event that a remote mail server is unavailable, a mail server will spool the mail and retry over the course of a number of days (typically at least a week). When one of the remote mail servers is available, it will deliver the mail.

In the event the mail server doesn’t come back (which isn’t what’s happening here, our mail servers are up and available), once the spooling time is up, the mail server will then send the sender a bounce message (like a Return to Sender message from the post office for physical mail) letting them know the email was not delivered. Email won’t just disappear into the ether.

There’s a caveat I learned about recently, where sources of mass emails (like a mailing list) will try to avoid bounces because they don’t want to appear as if they were spamming (and they often don’t own the outgoing server). So they might automatically unsubscribe addresses which bounced to avoid future bounces. I think that’s how I lost one subscription this year, because the only significant thing that happened to my mail server was going offline for a couple hours.

Thank you for that, however it doesn’t relate to my question.

I’d like to know how to forward mail from Librem. One. I’m not sure if you know the answer to my question and just won’t tell me, or you just don’t know?

Or is it possible to forward mail at all?

You mean server side filters to automagically forward your emails to another email account? That is not possible at this moment.

1 Like

Some of the persons in this thread also contacted us via email. I ask that you check your Librem One mail accounts to check if the problem is solved now for you.

1 Like

Emails are coming in for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Brad, am I correct in assuming that the reason you want to forward your mails is because you can’t send out emails? You want to have them forwarded to another account of yours, from which you are able to reply? In that case, my answer is related to your question.

Forwarding emails is sending emails from one account to another. If you can not send, you can not forward, because that’s the same thing.

If you have another reason for forwarding the mails, which is totally unrelated to your outgoing mail problem, then it’s a different matter. In that case it depends on the server software. There may be a web interface that allows you to set this up. Or you could use Sieve scripts if this is supported server-side. You can find those settings in your mail client; e.g. in Thunderbird, it’s under Tools => Sieve Message Filters. It’s not the easiest to figure out, but you can find the documentation through a web search. I don’t use Librem Mail, so I don’t know the specifics of their service. Either way, the outgoing mail problem needs to be resolved first, because if you can’t send emails, you can’t send emails to your other account either. Unless it’s a service that doesn’t filter by using public spam lists.

The 138.201.176.94 is still listed on both barracuda ( b.barracudacentral.org ) and spamcop (bl.spamcop.net) blacklists, I know a not insignificant number of businesses use barracuda spam filters so that’s something I would think you might still want to resolve. This could result in intermittent functionality for users in that if they go out the other IP’s mail flows but out this one and rejected.

The dnsbl-2.uceprotect.net and dnsbl-3.uceprotect.net blacklists the other two IP’s are on seem to be much less broadly used.

My wanting to forward email is unrelated, mostly, to the problems here. When my wife started having issues I opened up my librem account on my tablet which I rarely use and saw that I have been getting some mail there that I didn’t know about. I stopped using librem mail a long time back after I had issues that never got resolved. Its always worked for my wife. Go figure. So I thought that an easy way to continue to get the emails, some of which I want, was to enable forwarding to my working email account.

I’ll check out your suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to reply.