Manually reconnect Matrix account in Chats (Chatty) when Status disconnected?

After reconnecting to a wired or wireless network, sometimes my Matrix account reconnects and sometimes it does not. When it does not reconnect, it remains disconnected until a reboot, while other apps have no network problems.

Besides rebooting my Librem 5, is there any manual option to force the Chats app to reconnect my Matrix account?

what I do is I use the terminal and

killall chatty

(no need to be root)
Then launch it again. The killall command will kill whatever background process is running, not just the chatty main UI window, so when you launch it again it will have to reconnect everything.

Thank you very much. That is such a simple solution. I just added it as an action to the Chats .desktop file, and it works perfectly.

For anyone who finds this post searching for the solution and doesn’t know how to add actions to .desktop files, do this:

1. Copy sm.puri.Chatty.desktop to ~/.local/share/applications/

cp /usr/share/applications/sm.puri.Chatty.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/

2. Open sm.puri.Chatty.desktop in gedit:

gedit ~/.local/share/applications/sm.puri.Chatty.desktop

3. Add this to the bottom of the file:

Actions=kill;

[Desktop Action kill]
    Name=kill
    Exec=killall chatty

4. Save and close gedit.

5. To run the command to kill the Chats app, tap and hold on the Chats app icon (or right-click it if you have a mouse connected) and tap (or click) “kill” on the menu.

6 Likes

wow, I didn’t know one could do that with .desktop files… I’m implementing right away!

I’m using it extensively e.g. for things like PuTTY / xterm and FileZilla, you can get right-click access to some number of frequently accessed hosts - and I even use it to get access to hot files (yes, you can achieve that out-of-the-box with “recently accessed files” but I prefer not to allow the system to record recently accessed files, for privacy and security reasons).