MiniTube (Youtube Client) NO GOOGLE ACCOUNT REQUIRED

@taylor-williamc
Well here you go. Take a look yourself.
https://flavio.tordini.org/minitube

1 Like

Hmm… I play youtube videos all the time in the browser and I don’t need an account or a special piece of software.

invidio.us is a great way to watch youtube and subscribe to creators without having a google account or loading javascript.

So what is the difference between Minitube and Invidio ? Thank you

Minitube is a desktop application, invido.us is an alternative frontend to youtube’s page that can search an play youtube videos without having to visit the youtube’s webpage

3 Likes

@Barugon
Very true in that you can watch youtube in a browser. However if you want to subscribe to a channel you need an account. With MiniTube you can subscribe to any channel without the requirement of an account.

2 Likes

Ah, that makes sense.

just remember it’s not a google account and the page is agpl3 licensed

I do, too. On Firefox Focus and DuckDuckGo. And with Orbot running. However, lately YouTube is refusing service, sometimes before the first vid, sometimes after 1 or 2 watched. Their message is “suspicious request”. Then they make you prove you’re not a bot. This works on DuckDuckGo only as Firefox Focus doesn’t even display the pics. What I make of this is watch this space. Google tightening the screws :wink: Did try with new bowser, Ecosia, seems to have fixed the problem - for now…

As far as I can tell, minitube is not open source.

@Barugon
If you were to open the link I added in the beginning of the post, and scroll down. You will see that MiniTube IS open source. It’s even mentioned by others in the string as they have read the license.

"This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/."

1 Like

Cool, there was no mention of source code in the other link (https://flavio.tordini.org/minitube).

Dude, you are so right. Not only does it work as you describe, but I tried it last night when a video that I wanted to watch was censored from channels on both YouTube and Facebook. I found that an Invidio user had captured the video before it was censored and posted it on Invidio. Yes! Fight tyranny!

As a bonus, youtube-dl works with Invidio, as well.

2 Likes

@Barugon
Well the first link in the initial post was of the Main Page for MiniTube, which is above the video.
Below the video was the second link to the source code. All I did was copy and paste again so you can see. You may not have noticed it was all. :sunglasses:

1 Like