Modem woes and reliability

Contact Purism support, they will provide instruction on how to do so.

Hm. Little update… It seems the reliability issues are still a problem no matter if I set the autosuspend value to 500 or all the way up to 5000. Tried a ton of values, and while it does seem like the issue takes longer to occur, it eventually happens still and I still have to flip the modem kill switch to ensure internet works reliably again. For example, I can select a song on spot on cellular data, and it will play through, maybe even start the next song, and then it just stops… Then I turn back on wifi and it starts playing just fine. Further, hotspots will eventually loose internet connection even with changing the autosuspend values, and I don’t have suspend enabled either for the system, so it’s definitely some kind of modem or modemmanager related issue. Calls seem to still come through fine when these connection issues start happening, but I just can’t get any connection with the browser or the hotspot or anything.

1 Like

No, there are not.

But the first step would be to get your current modem firmware version - so you know whether an update is even available.

so the cell phone (calling texting) keeps working? because i started this issue for that most basic of phone functionality. The internet is a secondary concern to me. Also there are 2 modems in the phone i think 1 smaller 1 larger chip. but i don’t remember but this topic is focussing on the GSM part (that was the intent)

My modem doesn’t even register on the network for calls when I’m at home. When I’m sitting at my desk at work it’s fine…everything works. It’s very frustrating.

1 Like

Appearently it doesnt always work either. Found out it will cut out and not recover wen I loose connection to the tower for a second, and further Ive been having issue with giant food stores not being able to hear me speaking even though I can hear them, I end up having to completely reboot the phone to fix both of these issues. With that said, I cant rely on this phone anymore if calls and data arent reliable. As it is it already has so many quirks, those issues are just a nail in the coffin.

2 Likes

exactly, it seems to be a linux phone (pine also has this) problem. And it makes the phones a toy instead of a serious counter to google and apple.

Thats why i made this post. these issues need to be fixed and until then the focus should be on the modem (calls first) and not on other stuff on the phone.

because without this, linux phones are well… useless and unreliable. Which makes them unable to compete with the dominant players, even for techies

Like i said. I can’t have a phone not receive calls or flip out on me when there is something with my fam

6 Likes

My Librem 5 is still relatively unreliable in the modem department, I would agree. There’s precious little support for text messages over 4G, they lock up the modem something awful. Calls are spotty too, and while it works alright over 3G, it sounds like even that is to be discontinued in the medium future here.

Purism: please focus on the reliability of the core functionality of the Librem 5!

6 Likes

Indeed, because it seems to be quiet on this front. not reading a lot on that they are working on this, while this should be the main focus point (it is the business case of a phone after all)

in all honesty, if they want the librem to succeed they should drop all the other stuff (which is good enough for now) and get this fixed/done no matter what

6 Likes

just read this (was triggered by the posts to check out how mobian was doing)

doesn’t seem like a good thing:
https://blog.mobian-project.org/posts/2023/09/30/paperweight-dilemma/

5 Likes

Would be nice to have Purism comment on this.

1 Like

This weekend I’ve had time to test the new modem while having the latest kernel installed.
All is OK now (modem part). Sadly the other issue is still not solved. It looks like I have to send it back again. Bummer

1 Like

Thanks for the update, I’ll have to try it tonight at home to see if I can register on the network now. I did do the update but just haven’t tested it yet.

UPDATE: The kernel update did nothing to solve my problem and support has basically gone silent on me with this. I would have thought they would have put my phone through it’s paces before sending it back to me but it appears not. My sim works fine in my android phone and nothing has changed on our network here since it went in that would affect how it should work. If I don’t get an answer soon I’m just going to sell it.

1 Like

The fact that almost exactly the same problem happens with the pinephone when using modemmanager makes me wonder if modemmanager has something to do with this issue. I dont recall the same issue happening when using ofono (which plama mobile used to use)… Although ofono had other issues.

2 Likes

Is it just me, or have the modem been much more robust the last few days? I don’t think I have had a single dropout of internet when using suspend, so I am now testing with lowering the value in /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/85-librem5-pm.rules again.

2 Likes

I’ve been turning off autosuspend so I haven’t noticed. Been working fine since doing it.

Maybe it’s fixed?

6 Likes

Nope. Its still happening. Also someone said that patch is for a seperate issue.

3 Likes

Yep :frowning:

5 Likes

Just wanted to give an update. My replacement phone appears to be working normally whereas my old one that was lost had all kinds of problems. I did a 20 minute test call while driving home which was a problem before and it kept the call up. So I have no idea what might have been wrong with my old one. Still can’t do VoLTE though, but I never could before it drops down to HSPA (3G) when in a call.

6 Likes