Modem woes and reliability

My system board was defect so they replaced it.
As far as I know they did not replace the modem.

Did you get your new modem yet? I’m not getting much back from tech support on my issue.

same haven’t heard back from about my modem logs yet

I received the modem last week Friday and had today some time to replace it.
Currently I’m testing it. I post a message here as soon as I know more.

1 Like

Any news? Is it working for you or are you having the same issues? Sorry I’m just not getting much from support, I think they are stumped at the moment.

had some contact with support:
looked at if the modems were slotted in correctly
that was no problem

now i’m being asked to reinstall.

i find this a bit weird. it feels very have you tried turning it on and off again. As far as i’ve seen it seems to be a software issue on both pine and librem.

has anybody done this and after found that it magically started working again? or if you have replaced the modem that it then works again?

1 Like

Any tech support will usually try to eliminate known (or simple) issues one by one, so they will go through list of solutions from most simple to most complicated, so this does not look weird to me.

I figure if they run out of things that you can try at home by yourself, they will most likely ask you to send the phone to be serviced.

1 Like

Hi raenrfm,
I’m still testing and havent reported my findings back to support. A very first impression is that the new modem appears to be working. Some other issues are still there.
Maybe replacing the pcb and the modem is in my case not enough. Hence the ongoing testing.

Joao mentioned something to me about 850mhz towers. I’m going to do a test on the way home today and send in my dmesg.log for them. I’m wondering if your network there has a similar topology?

I don’t know the infra of my environment or the towers. Is there a way to find out?

I’m not sure if there is an app for the Librem but you can get cellular network information apps for android and apple that will display all the gory details of your network connections including the cell towers.

Lucky for me there is no spying hardware in the house. Android/Apple Os apps will therefore not be helpful.

1 Like

On the PinePhone they implemented a daemon called eg-25 manager IIRC. It basically polls the modem and restarts it if there are any issues.

I am having the same issue with my Librem 5. At first, I thought Spot (A Spotify client in GTK) was at fault for the pausing of media while I was driving, but I soon found out it was the internet connection dropping out, as when I started using the hotspot functionality to connect my android phone for Discord and Newpipe, it would start randomly showing the error “No internet connection” but still show it’s connected to the hotspot… Then I’d go to the Librem 5 and find that the web isn’t working on it either at that point.

I really hope this is something that can be fixed as I really liked using my Librem 5, but I need the internet connectivity to be reliable. All of the other quirks were something I could deal with. I’ll have to grab a PinePhone Pro again and see if there is a modem issue with it, and I heard Megi came up with a solution that would improve power usage… Hopefully, the consumer units are also better in battery life than my preproduction unit was.

Blockquote
I’ll have to grab a PinePhone Pro again

i’m curious what the result of that will be. I have a pinephone (not the pro) and the modem had very similar behaviour and instabilities.

1 Like

tried reflashing but ran into a cannot find image bug:

git cloned the flash scripts followed the guide but it fails at the Flash the Image step:

image not found (byzantium)

the script seems to die on the jenkins server info get step of the script

when i follow the arm…puri… url the jenkins showed a lot of idle? but if i dig a little further there seems to be at least 1 image in the green

does anybody know whats wrong (support is not reacting)
is it targeting a wrong image or something?

See also: Mobile data stops working, outgoing packets still sent but incoming packets no longer arrive (#328) · Issues · Librem5 / OS-issues · GitLab

This command greatly increased data connection stability for me:
echo 5000 > /sys/devices/platform/soc@0/38200000.usb/xhci-hcd.4.auto/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/power/autosuspend_delay_ms

There are also packages to indicate when the connectivity is lost:
apt install network-manager-config-connectivity-debian/byzantium

And maybe this one, but recently it did not work for me:

1 Like

tried reflashing but ran into a cannot find image bug:

Whenever there’s a bug report without steps to reproduce a kitten dies :smile_cat:

This

git clone https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/librem5-flash-image
cd librem5-flash-image/scripts/
./librem5-flash-image 

downloads fine over here.

For reflashing (rather than for development) I always add --stable option so you don’t get a random image but one blessed for the factory floor. You also fetch from a web server then rather than from Jenkins.

1 Like

Any news on the modem problems? I’d really like to use my L5 again as a daily driver. Makes no sense to me that my phone went in for service and when it came back won’t register on the network in certain places nearby anymore when before it was fine.

1 Like

Even with the workaround of changing the autosuspend delay to 4000 ms, it still has connection issues eventually, but it does take much longer to occur.

1 Like

Are you using a new sim card when the L5 modem started work unrealible or it is a same old sim card?