Move photos from usb to librem mini

can anyone advise me how to copy photos on a USB to Librem mini seams imposible to me to get any help on machine ??? HELP PLEASE

1 Like

I don’t have a Mini, but…

Insert USB drive, explore the contents of the USB drive from the Mini’s file browser, select desired photos, copy, go to desired destination folder on the Mini, paste… ?

2 Likes

You haven’t provided enough information. What have you tried? What results are you getting? Are you getting an error message? If so, what is that error message?

Is this a USB flash drive? A USB portable drive?

What capacity?

Where are the photos coming from?

If this is not an already existing USB flash drive of photos then take into account what file system type you should use.

If the photos are coming from another Linux system then a file system type of ext4 (or another in the ext series) would be highly desirable.

If the photos are coming from Windows then a FAT file system would be a reasonable compromise.

Also, as there is some discussion about Librem Mini USB port tuning in this forum, can you confirm whether the USB port is working at all? And is this a Librem Mini v1 or v2?

To be honest, I would more often move files between computers using the network (no messing around with sneakernet) but I guess if you have GBs of photos, that might be unreasonably slow.

1 Like

thank you it worked… sure miss how easy windows worked to get around…

1 Like

just a few photos that i had from my iphone. i have to transfer them to my windows machine then to USB. from USB to Librem mini v2. i just got this mini v2. i did it the way Amarok advised me. and it worked. not easy to move the photos to a directory . so very little help on using this mini v2 it’s rather hard to learn when there is no help. it is my first lenix machine. my son advised me on buying it. helped me a bit yet he is no where to be found now he is in Oregon…

2 Likes

FWIW, I just plug my iPhone in to my Linux computer via USB, the iPhone photo directory comes up in the file explorer GUI application, I copy and paste the photos to a local directory using that GUI application, job done. That is to say, it should not be necessary to involve Windows or a USB drive. (This Linux computer isn’t a Librem Mini but it should make no difference. This isn’t running PureOS, which could make some difference.)

Next time you find your son, I suggest you get him to arrange (secure) remote access for himself in to your computer so that he can help you (assuming that your and his internet access is half decent).

1 Like

when i plug in my Iphone 11 into the usb on mini v2 nothing happens. there is no file explorer come’s up ? im already thinking of selling this mini v2 now. cant do anything with it. no help sucks. spending hr reading different forums and zero. seam everyone 's linux is different. I get nowhere . sure i get on the web, ebay and such but wth this is no good spending weeks reading and still getting nowhere.

1 Like

Are you getting the “Trust this computer?” prompt on the iPhone?

Just occasionally I plug the iPhone into USB and nothing happens - and I have to unplug and replug - and then it works the second time.

I can assure you that this functionality does work on Linux. Just yesterday I transferred 1000 photos off Mrs Wade’s iPhone onto her Linux computer (destined ultimately for our Linux media server). I actually had more difficulty working out how to delete 1000 photos on the iPhone (without just selecting each one by hand)! - and even then there’s a stupid iPhone implementation such that this ends up deleting more photos than you want.

1 Like

Some mini v2s have issues detecting USB 2.0 devices. If the iphone uses USB 2.0 on its port then it may not be detected. It is a hardware problem that requires replacing a capacitor as detailed in this post.

I would test any other USB 2.0 devices you have such as flash drives, webcams, printers, etc. If they are not detected and do not show up when you run “lsusb” in a terminal, then that may be your problem.

1 Like

iPhone11 i’ve tried both 2 and 3 USB ports. my phone asks do i want to allow the mini V2 to connect i say yes. nothing happen even if i go into my photos and check mark the photos to transfer nothing happens. this is a pain in they butt. i have to transfer to my windows computer then transfer to USB thumb drive then thumb drive to mini v2 even then its a pain in the butt to get them into mini it sends them to downloads not photos. again it a pain in the butt to put the photos into a directory i create . i rather have a windows machine that this mini V2 using a program than a pure OS system. no documentation or help on the computer…spending day reading and get no where.

1 Like

yes but nothing happens.

1 Like