Multi-poll bug-finding bonanza

This is aimed at those who already have a Librem 5. I thought it could be interesting to try using polls to find out how common various problems are, below are some such polls. Before answering, please make sure you have installed the latest updates since some things may have improved recently. (If the GUI for software updates is not working, use sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade in the terminal, then reboot.)

Please comment if there is no poll alternative matching your answer, or to discuss/elaborate on your answer.

==================================================

Software updates, there were some reports that the GUI for software updates (in the PureOS Store app) is not working as it should:

• I have this problem, updating via PureOS Store never works
  • Updating via PureOS Store works but need to tap “Update&Restart” button multiple times
  • No problem for me, updating via PureOS Store works fine

0 voters

Wi-Fi sometimes not available at all:

• I have this problem, never any Wi-Fi
  • I have this problem sometimes, solved by reboot or kill swith
  • No problem for me, Wi-Fi is always available

0 voters

Wi-Fi performance:

• Wi-Fi performance is bad, hardly useful
  • Wi-Fi performance is mostly OK but could be better
  • No problem for me, Wi-Fi performance seems fine

0 voters

Phone calls:

• Phone call audio quality problem
  • Other phone call problems
  • Phone calls work fine for me

0 voters

Is it a good idea to try to collect info about bugs/problems using forum polls in this way?

• Yes, seems like a good idea
  • No, bad idea

0 voters

Edit: maybe I should add that I don’t mean to replace the official issue tracking at https://source.puri.sm/groups/Librem5/-/issues but only to get more info about how common some of those issues are.

1 Like

Maybe not the best to collect but possibly to identify (“does this happen to only me or is it just something that’s still worked on / does not exist - so no need to report it”). Real bugs need to be transferred to Git to be solved.

2 Likes

FWIW:

5 Likes

I’m curious about Phosh crashing. It happens quite often on my PinePhone mobian edition. Today I upgraded to the latest Phosh version on Mobian, to version 0.9 and I still got one crash with it today (every app killed and phone back to lock screen). I was using Fractal Firefox on app.element.io and a terminal and display scale was set to 100% instead of 200%.

Is that (still) a problem on Librem 5? (I don’t have a L5 so no votes from me).

@eugenr You need phoc in version 0.7.0 - older versions are known to crash often.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. Right now on mobian it’s phoc 0.6. I’ll keep an eye when a new one comes.

This is not the case for me. Incoming calls are fine, except for the ringtone that keeps ringing for few seconds after I answer the phone disturbing the call. Outgoing calls are bad, typically the person on the other line has got a hard time to understand my speech and that worsens with the duration of the call. I’ve tried various settings for the microphone volume but it didn’t fix a thing.

From the audio stack perspective there shouldn’t be any difference between outgoing and incoming calls, it works the exact same way for both. The quality getting worse with the duration of the call is an interesting thing though - and I admit that my phone calls usually aren’t long, so that’s something I could easily miss. Would it be possible for you to record an example of that?

FWIW this also happens on pinephone with manjaro-phosh.

1 Like

All right, I will try.

… within the law as it applies in @fiacco’s country, of course. :wink:

Great idea to have this here, more intuitive for whom the issue tracker looks too intimidating (or just doesn’t have the time to register there).

Could people submit other responses in the poll directly?

I don’t think the poll choices in the polls above can be changed now when there are already some votes, but please write in comments here what other responses you would have wanted to have, or to explain what you meant with your vote.

Well … after a few days of trying without being able to record bad audio, I have to reconsider my statement: audio isn’t that often bad, it is sometimes. :confounded:

1 Like

The poll is nice for saying me too without having to clutter up any open issues.

I would add one more thing that I haven’t seen discussed - I seem to have issues typing sometimes. The cursor will be in a text box but nothing gets typed. I noticed this most in anbox when trying to add an fdroid repo (I would have to open the keyboard before opening up the add repo dialog to get typing to work), but I also noticed it outside of anbox when trying to log into the Giara reddit app from the pureos store. I also have chromium installed from pureos store so Giara sends me to chromium to log into reddit, but the page never loads, and when I refresh / get the page to crash then reload reddit login, the keyboard doesn’t work until I relaunch chromium.

I’ve only been able to partially log in by opening chromium first, logging into reddit, then opening giara, hitting log in, then cancelling (because then giara doesn’t bounce me to chrome), at which point I get the auth flow to auth giara, but I still can’t log in because the xdg-open chromium dialog is halfway off the screen so I can’t bounce back to giara after authorizing the app.

Maybe it would work if I didn’t install chromium, but I don’t remember setting chromium as the default browser so I’ll have to look at that more.

Maybe you could add another poll for Bluetooth. Mine doesn’t work.

Both Anbox and Chromium are X11 apps and don’t use Wayland at all (at least by default). X11 is currently supported on best-effort basis and there indeed are some outstanding issues around keyboard input there.

That’s https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/linux-next/-/issues/295