Mycroft partnership?

Any plans on Purism partnering with Mycroft or another open source AI alternative?
Would be nice to have a Siri like alternative where your voice quires are not stored or if they were encrypted somehow.

1 Like

My concern is that the voice queries are transmitted over the internet to a random server. That by itself is bad enough, regardless of whether the query is stored anywhere.

2 Likes

It seems work without network, however that company still let you sign up and use their online services without any suggestions that the package can work without their services. It doesnt taste good.

it’s not the voice assistants that are a problem - the problem is the proprietary nature of that software and the centralised infrastructure of the www.

3 Likes

My concern is that the voice queries are transmitted over the internet to a random server. That by itself is bad enough, regardless of whether the query is stored anywhere.

Personally, I’d prefer the process of translating speech-to-text on my device and then check if it is an actual Mycroft command on the device. Only then can it send data to another server.

This should work well, most commands don’t even need to interact with other servers like speech-to-text and opening apps. The command list shouldn’t take up to much space.

What commands do need external data is generally looking stuff up on the web (which can be done fairly anonymously with Jive Search) or looking up something on Wikipedia (which can be self-hosted).

it’s not the voice assistants that are a problem - the problem is the proprietary nature of that software and the centralised infrastructure of the www.

Mycroft is what I like to call “potentially free’d” there hardware is basically a Raspberry Pi and requires non-free code to even boot! The again, we are talking about the software portions so…idk.

1 Like