[MyL5] Librem 5 Evergreen: first impressions

Even better :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah on my Android phone auto-rotate means: rotate then shake once toward the ground so it detects it. Then wait as the UI catches up.

6 Likes

I don’t use facebook and social media in general because I don’t understand why I should communicate to others what I do or how good what I eat is. I don’t download podcasts to my pc. I think mobile phones take worse pictures than a good manual camera. I use my mobile phone to call and send mail. I need the contacts and appointments directory on my mobile and that it is synchronized with my nextcloud server. All this is on the Librem and that’s enough for me. I just need the battery to last a long time.

1 Like

That is likely to be true but then, for me at least, there are a lot of times when I have my phone with me but I don’t have my digital camera with me.

2 Likes

Speaking of auto rotate. The manual - if I recall right - only switches between one side of horizontal and one end of vertical, but will the auto rotate (or the manual for that matter) rotate also “upside down” to the other end and side? Reason is that some USB-thingamajigs that are connected to the end of the phone are really usable only when they are on top of the phone. I’d hate to have to be limited to only to two sides and not be able to play spin the phone, is all.

1 Like

I think there’s a lot to be said for having the USB connector at the top.

On the spiPhone there’s a weird inconsistency.

The home screen won’t rotate at all.
Some (most?) apps will rotate 90 but not 180.
Some (few?) apps will 90 / 180 / 270.

For example, Safari won’t rotate 180 but will rotate 90 and 270 - while Firefox will rotate 90 / 180 / 270.

This sort of inconsistency drives me nuts. I don’t know whether there are settings that I have never stumbled upon.

1 Like

I think best would be to have dialer-like VKB and smart-card with strong key. Dialer is simple to implement and smartcard provides good keys with simple pins.

To avoid complications one could simple provide an option to import ovpn profile and then make simple settings for wireguard. And *swan deserves own section in settings menu as it cannot be simplified down to single profile import or described with one tab settings.

1 Like

As for auto-rotate - in general I hate it when phone rotates unexpectedly (eg when you are not fully upright and it swinging between different angles) but i must confess when something doesn’t fit the narrow screen I’m reflectory rotating the phone.

On pine the iio reports full rotation cycle but not sure how would it work on L5.

purism@pureos:~$ monitor-sensor | grep -v Light
    Waiting for iio-sensor-proxy to appear
+++ iio-sensor-proxy appeared
=== Has accelerometer (orientation: left-up)
=== Has ambient light sensor (value: 2.600000, unit: lux)
=== No proximity sensor
    Accelerometer orientation changed: normal
    Accelerometer orientation changed: left-up
    Accelerometer orientation changed: bottom-up
    Accelerometer orientation changed: normal
    Accelerometer orientation changed: right-up
    Accelerometer orientation changed: bottom-up
    Accelerometer orientation changed: right-up

It doesn’t report screen-up screen-down though

1 Like

Look here, it’s already there but not yet integrated in the factory image. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, I follow that development and saw the PoC, what I express is rather an opinion, how I think it should work, but I don’t have time to contribute into that area considering my other priorities.

Ahh ok. I think I slightly misunderstood your original post when it comes to the idea of Librem “forging its own path”. I definitely agree with everything you’ve said here. It will be interesting to see what the FOS platform Purism is capable of in terms of re-creating the political/cultural ecosystem regarding data sharing/collection. I long for the day that I can say all my devices and apps do not track me or take my data. I just wish more of the world felt the same. But people are starting to wake up and deciding they care about their privacy.

1 Like

Truth. That drives me nuts. Yet there are people who look at me like I’m crazy when I say that, and THAT drives me nuts as well. It doesn’t cost them anything, I’ve paid for the data, WHY should I pay them more? After eliminating bloatware, that is the main reason I have a rooted Android.

2 Likes

PostmarketOS has already solved this. You should have a look.

We have had a look. Like I said a keyboard is already packaged.

3 Likes

Just to clarify, is the virtual numpad going to be replaced with a proper virtual keyboard so a proper password can be used instead of a number pin? Or is there some separation, where there is password for some stuff and a pin for lockscreen, or the like?

I don’t know if there are plans for something like that, but so far it seems to be just the regular password for the “purism” user that has is initially set to “123456”. I used the passwd command to change it to some other digits and then that became my pin that I needed to enter at the lockscreen. If the password is changed to something that is not only digits, I think it will not be possible to unlock the lockscreen anymore (would need to login using ssh to set the password to something with only digits).

In the GUI (in Setting --> Details --> Users) you can change password but you are then protected from that mistake because the edit box where you enter your new password will only accept digits as input, so it is not possible to set any non-digit password that way. So for a user who only uses the GUI, it just behaves like a pin, no problem. But for someone who changes the password using passwd in the terminal, it is possible to get locked out if you set new password that is not only digits, I think.

Ay, I see that from the QEMU image. Hence the question to @joao.azevedo about the change. It would be nice to know what the long term plans are - if there are such - but for now, any clarification is good. There are several possibilities here. Even one, where user could select which type/level to use (numbers only pin, a proper password, both for convenience, a forced 2FA at every turn etc. … and then there is always Malform type advanced multitude of choices). Steps.

Don’t be disappointed. This is a great achievement, but currently it just is not ready for mass-market, which is fine. However, it will become better and better with each software release, so eventually it might become ready for your family and friends.

Anybody can give me some hint how to build your own image? I would like to learn how to do this. I found a page how to reflash (Reflashing the Phone), but I have never build my own image.

If general Carddav and Caldav support might be available in some time that would be great, because my current e-mail provider provides perfect Caldav and Carddav functionality, and I do not like to switch to another provider (with Nextcloud support).

I tried multiple times, notifications are still very unreliable. Unfortunately, this is not a working solutions.

3 Likes

You can still use evolution to setup generic *-dav calendars/tasks/notes/contacts. Gnome-calendar and gnome-contacts are both using EDS (evolution data server) for accessing them so once you added them there (eg using external desktop or scaling) you can use them with other apps.

2 Likes

for this in a 5 inch screen, you would likely have to use syncevolution to do that. Or plug it to a monitor and Keyboard and mouse and use Evolution proper, to import them

2 Likes