[MyL5] My thoughts after few weeks of use

Yeah. The market.

The fact of the matter is, if the propreitary software is so evil, and the market so evil and FOSS was the solution, then 40+ years into it, it should be the overwhelming solution and massively popular to the detriment of proprietary software, not the niche thing that no one knows about (relatively speaking).

It is the uncomfortable truth around these parts for sure, but that doesn’t make it untrue.

3 Likes

That’s not what the question was about tho.

1 Like

In my opinion the main reason for that is the software taught in most educational systems at least in the western world belongs to that category.
even most of the PC/Laptops come preinstalled with those systems and Tools.
So that’s the Software you get used to before most people can even make educated decisions about what to use.
I’m with @dcz in this I can’t really use word/excel/powerpoint at all and always have to ask my colleagues how to do this or that. Last time I tried to create a “Din Brief” in Word it took me 3 times as long as it did creating the same thing in Latex.

6 Likes

I agree with Manuel. Universities play a major role here. Moreover, the companies that sell software (such as Microsoft) sue companies for pirated programs but never a University; on the contrary they offer free licenses to the Universities and of course they have good reason for this.

I also agree with people above that wrote that usually commercial programs are bad and for me they are also difficult. What is Photoshop? Gimp is better. Moreover Windows is difficult. Yes it is difficult. It is not easy because you know it. Give Windows10 to a person with no previous experience and give the same person a Mate or XFCE Desktop. There is no way s/he will tell you Win10 is easier. First of all it comes with no applications. It gives you less that L5, the L5 you do not like app-wise.

@Poseidon if you were right FOSS would never exist. I think you probably come from the commercial software world and wanted to test the waters with L5. If this is true then you are right: L5 is not good for you (at least yet).

I am using L5 a week now as a daily driver. The most annoying issue for me is the battery, the fact that it does not suspend yet. I hope Purism will come to this issue soon. There are more problems but I can live with them until they get fixed. Eg sometimes wifi does not come up after flipping the switch and I have to repeat the flipping a couple of times.

4 Likes

There is much FOSS that is dominant, so I don’t think that simply saying, “the market” ends the discussion. In some cases, FOSS has become so dominant, that we think of it’s dominance as unremarkable–for example, javascript as the dominant client-side language of the web. A few other examples:

• dominant version control software: git, an open-source project.
  • dominant non in-house mobile OS: android, an open-source project.
  • dominant web browser: chrome, largely open-source software via chromium.
  • dominant containerization software: docker/kubernetes, open-source software.
  • dominant flash-card/memorization software: anki, open-source software.
  • etc…

Obviously, there is much dominant proprietary software too, but to describe FOSS as a niche thing that no one knows about is… incorrect, to put it diplomatically :wink:

7 Likes

The market that can be rigged and held captive by monopoly, so that average people who walk into stores (or popular websites these days) are only presented with proprietary solutions? The market that is steered by advertising rather than fact? The market that pushes planned obsolescence over sustainable solutions?

All hail the market! :smiley:

10 Likes

A valid complaint for sure, if you do this. It may help if you shed light on why you want to do this.

I appreciated the fact that it is Nano SIM because it means I can move SIMs around between all my existing phones and the Librem 5. It is hard to please everybody?

Yes. You are right on both points about Bluetooth and about GPS. (The GPS hardware works and is responsive and usable but apps aren’t using it yet, I believe. Ditto the camera.)

I guess this comes down to expectations i.e. what your expectations were v. where the software is at.

Coming soon. Has already been previewed.

You are right - up to a point, and but …

There is much more to this.

It is unsafe for the phone to export the eMMC drive as external storage. It could be safe to do that for the uSD card but that is not available yet.

However if you boot Jumpdrive on the phone, you can do exactly this. (I have done this and tested both drives as external storage, accessing from a Linux PC.)

However as others point out, there is no point doing this with Windows because it won’t recognise the file system.

You can export the file system by whatever protocol you prefer and to whatever platform you prefer - and that is safe. (I haven’t tested this with Windows however, as I have none.) If you want to do this with Windows then you will probably want to install the Samba server component on the Librem 5.

3 Likes
1 Like

I’m not really sure why you ordered a Librem 5. It’s primary mission is privacy, and if they violate that mission by trying to satisfy normies, well then they are competing in a space with goliaths like Apple and Samsung. I understand you want the best of both worlds but at the moment that isn’t possible or desirable to be honest. Linux on a phone is a really new idea and of course there is much work to be done to get it polished, but from what videos I’ve seen of the phone in operation it’s come a long way already. Maybe you need a paradigm shift in your own thinking and think of the phone that just gets the basics done and isn’t a vessel full of distractions that look nice, take your data, and also burn up your time that you could be using to say for example go outside or garden. People are spending WAY too much time on these devices IMO.

3 Likes

I’ve found WinSCP very convenient to transfer files between L5 and Windows PC.

3 Likes

While I haven’t tested this on Windows, obviously, it should work to use the FileZilla GUI client, as an SFTP client, and access files on the Librem 5. This does work with the FileZilla GUI client running under Linux.

2 Likes

…government.

I’ve used Warpinator to copy files between my Mobian/Phosh Pinephone and my Mint laptop. It requires push request, then OK from the other device, but it works fine on a LAN.

I’m using sshfs. However, as mentioned in that issue, MTP/PTP would be good - since those are standard on other phones.

That is an elegant solution. The question is whether Purism can get the parts. Purism basically has to go with standard parts for components like SIM and uSD card trays, because it doesn’t have the volume to justify customized parts, whereas Sony has much more freedom.

I generally agree that we shouldn’t expect certain types of work to get done with volunteer labor, but the work to adapt existing desktop applications to work in a mobile environment is not like creating software from scratch. Adding libhandy classes to existing GTK code or Kirigami to existing Qt code is the kind of thing that volunteers can do.

It is worth pointing out that IBM/Red Hat, SUSE, Google and Canonical do pay quite a few people to maintain the code in GTK/GNOME. The reason why I believe that Phosh will ultimately become the dominant mobile Linux interface is precisely because Purism is paying developers to work on it and the GTK/GNOME ecosystem has so much corporate support.

My fear is that if mobile Linux offers something like the Google Play Store or the Apple Store, it will attract the same kind of app developers. I don’t want to encourage the development of Linux mobile apps which use personal data collection and targeted advertising as a form of payment. I’m not opposed to Purism implementing a financing mechanism in the PureOS Store, as long as the software being financed is free/open source and apps based on surveillance Capitalism are not allowed.

9 Likes

Mostly by lack of government controls/regulations. Free market is a fantasy that assumes humans won’t be greedy and influence the market.

6 Likes

Let’s stop here or move this train of thought to another forum thread.

3 Likes

What I meant was software that is developed by full time employees will always be more feature rich and polished than software that is coded by volunteers. Regardless whether it’s FOSS or proprietary. It just so happens that FOSS has less funding because of the nature of it’s licence. Most of the places I worked at only used FOSS as a cost cutting measure not because they like the philosophy behind it. That’s the sad reality.

1 Like

While I agree about the sad reality of most places, there are companies where FOSS is a competitive advantage (e.g. Purism).

I also don’t think getting paid translates directly to the software being polished or not. People who do something for their own pleasure have no reasons to cut corners. I agree money is an incentive to create more software at least.

7 Likes

Well when you install a normal distro on a computer it comes with some file browser, does it not? Why should I expect Librem 5 to come without one?

It proves that I’m right. We still don’t have any FOSS music production software that professionals can buy and use. KDenlive does not even have hardware acceleration. None of the big finance/accounting programs are available like Sage50 or Quickbooks. The FOSS versions probably don’t even have 50% of the functions required. Where is the FOSS version of TeamViewer or LogmeIn that is equally good. They simply don’t exist or are severely inferior.

You do you. But that’s not how I want to spend my free time. My support to Purism was done by the purchase of the device.

It’s not black & white situation but it’s generally true. When I observe what schools and businesses use it’s 9 times out of 10 Photoshop for image editing. Deja-Dup at least has a GUI. So a normal user can use it right away instead of having to look for dozens of commands that may or may not work. A program without GUI like rsync is perfect example of a project that has low or no money behind it looks like. Veeam can backup multiple VMs it can then replicate them and move the copies into different location over internet. It can compress and encrypt the backups. It can create snapshots. It can schedule each backup job at specific time. Can rsync do all of that?

Again you are missing the point completely. Neither is inherently better than the other. What makes one better than the rest is the amount of funding behind it. More developers create more functions, fix bugs more quickly and project gets updated more frequently. The projects that have less money will lag behind. Sometimes they get completely abandoned.

I hate modern smartphones! And the fact that there are only 2 choices. Apple is gatekeeping the app store and won’t let you install apps outside of the store. On top of that iPhones are designed to stop you from repairing them. You can view videos on Youtube where the Logic board will refuse newly installed part even if it came from identical iPhone. So fuck Apple.

Andriod is practically a portable telescreen at this point. If the individual apps don’t spy on you the OS will spy on you. I have watched defcon videos where they showed how Google can triangulate your position even if you are not connected to any wireless network. Then you don’t have root access. This one is particularly infuriating because all Androids come with many bullshit apps pre-installed. Facebook, Samsung Cloud, AR Emoji stickers. Some of these apps could be loaded with rootkits or key-loggers and you CANNOT remove them. You have no control over your own device. Third big problem with Android is the support. After 2 or 3 years your phone stops getting OS updates. Which means you need to flash it with custom ROM which can be a headache or you suck it up and buy a new one. Just imagine Amazon throwing away their AWS servers worth millions of £/$/Euros because they cannot update them.

I supported the Librem5 campaign because I wanted a way out of this situation.

3 Likes