New Adaptive Apps Added to the Store

Is Simon something like Mycroft?

There were no pre-installed apps added since Evergreen release, FYI. Weā€™ll very likely add camera, calendar and file browser apps in the future and then those will get installed automatically with updates (unless you have removed their metapackage from your system), but generally we try to keep the set of pre-installed apps to minimum.

2 Likes

:+1: to this.

I prefer the philosophy of starting with very little and the customer chooses to install what the customer wants. Rather than the ā€˜mass of bloatwareā€™ that seems industry standard. With most people having internet connectivity and at least reasonable speed and reliability, the repository can be considered an extension of the phone, and the phone can grab things as and when they are needed.

This approach also reduces attack surface. Who wants to be pwned by a security bug in an app that they didnā€™t even know they had on their phone and have never used?

I wish all vendors (Apple, Iā€™m looking at you) did that. There are a few default-installed apps on the spiPhone where each update of the app is like a gigabyte download. That is where I draw the line. App, be gone.

7 Likes

To my understanding Mycroft is web/cloud based and therefore gets the same status as Siri, Cortana and other spyassitants. Simon and others are standalone, fully in your personal control (with obvious drawback being of course some limited functionality in comparison, but still good for many voice commands and navigation).

WhatIP is a native app (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GabMus/whatip), the rest are webapps indeed (https://source.puri.sm/librem5-apps/epiphany-webapps/).

3 Likes

Thats great news IMO, webapps are nice to have and help fill gaps - looking forward to seeing what else is in store (pun intended?)!

4 Likes

Iā€™m almost certain that Mycroft can be run as your own instance. To be certain, one of us will have to actually read through the site I linked.

1 Like

Yep you can self-host

as an open source implementation of the Mycroft server backend or you can run Mycroft without a backend at all, but I think in that case itā€™s a bit more limited and would need a speech-to-text engine running locally on the device.

3 Likes

Ok, nice. Did not know this could be possible. Will have add this to my todo list (itā€™s already a mile long).

1 Like

yes, this is the reason why the scale the screen app magically appeared in your app tray

1 Like

Have you implemented self-hosting on a Linux device? This seems like something that would run well on the Librem Mini. Anyone?