New NXP i.MX 9 Chips

At one point Hawaii wanted to remain its own entity, but they became part of the US anyway. Similarly, though,

none of those countries in agreement is Taiwan.

Is this not the same for whatever free solution is chosen? I have followed the great amount of time spent by the purism L5 team. If to chose another processor then the i.MX8 and a different setup to provide a secure phone the same difficulties and time needs to be spend. Even Arm changes (improves) it’s architecture over time.

We aleady have an ARM64 and x64 buider, but we don’t have a RISC-V builder. It will necessarily be additional cost because we can’t drop support for the architectures where we already released products.
As long as the existing builders remain compatible with future architecture upgrades, we don’t strictly need to add any extra ones either.

There are additional difficulties around adding extra devices, but those are mostly one-time costs and I see them as R&D.

3 Likes

I’m assuming that there will be a 4-8 core model in the I.MX 9 series that replaces the I.MX 8M Quad and at 12 or 16 nm, which are the node sizes NXP says it will use, it should be more energy efficient. NXP seems to have no interest in producing high performance chips, but a cooler chip than uses less energy will be a big win as far as I’m concerned, because the L5 is too hot and its battery life too short in my opinion.

The issue is that we have no idea how long it will take to get decent Linux support for a new chip. If the i.MX 8 is any indication, it will take a while.

1 Like

I’ve ordered a VisionFive 2 (TBD March 2023):

StarFive JH7110 RISC-V U74 4c 1.5GHz
Imagination GPU IMG BXE-4-32 MC1 600MHz
8GB LPDDR4
HDMI 2.0 4k@30fps / 2k@60fps
2x 1 Gbit/s ethernet
M.2 m-key PCIe 2.0 x1 (0.5GB/sec)
4x USB 3.0

https://doc-en.rvspace.org/Doc_Center/visionfive_2.html

1 Like

Hopefully you get this SBC in time. When delivered please measure the power consumption (not stated in datasheet).