New Post: Apple Users Got Owned

Making a shift from apple is probably a good idea.

Looks like they’re going to be forcing more decisions on their userbase with their new silicon. Good example is eventually they’ll deprecate x86 and force mobile users (laptops/smartphone) onto their own arm64 silicon platforms. That is one way to gain convergence for their platform.

I’m curious to see how well they manage the initial shuffle since apps for x86 don’t work on arm64, read a bit about rosetta2 which is supposed to enable x86 applications to run on arm64 during the beginning of the transition. Will see just how well it works out.

System76 had a “Apple-to-Linux” Guide in their F.A.Q. page, which I used as a guide for finding other equivalent apps. I am going with System76 because it was recommended to me by another Purism forum member because of my multimedia needs.

I will start saving up for the System76 Desktop this December. It won’t be hard to save up with quickly, I already have enough saved for an emergency fund. I will keep watching the development of the Purism Phone and purchase one when I can afford to cashflow one. It is not easy to patient when a third-option cellphone exists, but I will wait while it is developed further.

1 Like

I will take note of that. If there is a .deb/flatpack file of each software I use, I will be sure to figure out how to install them. Thanks for letting me know.

Oh okay. Thx

by not investing enough they are practically assuring the outcome … just quoting Westworld-s3

I am very concept savvy, just not very technical…yet. So I am getting outside my comfort zone and learning more technical things at my own pace so that outcome doesn’t happen.

I am checking for the direct install of the software I got from the Snapcraft store, and already good news is this: Homebank (Personal accounting software) does have a non-snapcraft install repository, included by default in debian repositories. I will spend time looking up other software.

Edit: Not all apps are available outside of Snapcraft, Authy (2FA application) is only available via snapcraft. That is the one I am using on my iPhone. My goal is to reduce and eliminate app on my iPhone so I don’t need to use it for anything other than basic needs (mail, browsers, etc.) to make switching to the Purism cellphone easier when I can afford to do so.

Edit2: I am already saving up for a new linux computer, @Kyle_Rankin thanks for sharing this. My first red flag with MacOS Big Sur was seeing system settings with “personalized ads” turned on by default.

there is ‘pass’ for CLI usage …

… and being closed source, it means that they have to specifically built for the ARM architecture by the company that owns the source.

1 Like

Someone had made a compact libhandy-enabled GUI for it for the L5, but the deb file at least appears to have some broken deps lately (I’m guessing due to python2->3 transition), at least on Mobian on the Pinephone

1 Like

I did not know Bitwarden had a 2FA feature built into it. However, I would like to use a separate Application for this, so far the closest application I found is “Authenticator”; Link: https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/Authenticator

This is the best solution I could find within the Pop!_OS software center.

Edit: Okay, should my discussion go into a separate thread from this point forward? I think we may have veered off course for the subject of this thread.

1 Like

@privacy238437 You’re welcome. I am still looking through other software choices, and it looks like snapcraft is going being taken up by software developers for distributing to the linux operating systems. (Ouch…).

Edit: I am going to see what I can download as much directly as either “.deb” or “flatpack” files to reduce the data footprint from Snapscraft.

I am going to use Pop!_OS for my personal computer. I like the variety of options that came with it, suited what I need for multimedia purposes + 2D/3D art I want to do. Apple is getting way too proprietary with their technology, non-toxic hardware is no good if I can’t run my choice of operating system on it.

Also, for U.S. citizens here look up what tech giants like Apple are doing to prevent “right-to-repair” laws from being reality across every state in our country. They are trying to block them from becoming reality.