New Post: Audacity Telemetry and Why Free Software Means Better Privacy

You’re still a version newer than me (2.4.1).

1 Like

Well if you want the latest version of Audacity without telemetry, it is 3.0.2.

2 Likes

I didn’t care much for this software since I just need it a few times a year. But thanks, will download it some day.

1 Like

I’m on 2.3.3 on Linux Mint… and I don’t think I’ve ever locked updates for it.

I have only rarely used this software: to “rejoin” two pieces of music that were a continuous piece on the original recording, but which were wrongly separated by a silent gap on CD pressings, and also to rejoin lengthy multi-section continuous pieces that inexplicably get broken apart with inserted gaps on my portable music player.

As an aside, Proton Mail Bridge also collects usage data, and they have made it an opt-out in the Bridge settings. :angry:

1 Like

-1 point for Proton again then; thank you for informing us.

2 Likes

I believe they wrote on their site that they have always collected anonymous usage data. I only realized it after I delved into the Bridge settings after a new update arrived earlier this year. (I turned it off, and it has remained off through several updates, fortunately.)

2 Likes

The question is though whether you installed Audacity directly, bypassing your distro’s repo - or you are just taking whatever your distro’s repo gives you, including when it updates.

If I use Audacity / Help / Check for Updates … then it will go to the Audacity web site and of course I am way out of date, so it wants to update. Otherwise without ever doing anything it will just update in accordance with the distro’s repo (which may be never, or frequent, depending on updates coming from the project but also depending on the level of interest by the distro).

Given this telemetry issue, it is possible that some distros have adopted a policy of staying on a relatively old version and they might only fix security issues (and there may be no such issues). When Ubuntu 24.04 comes out in April, I will have to see what version of Audacity it is offering (if any).

1 Like

(… raises hand…) :raised_hand:

4 Likes