New Post: Librem 14 Status Update: EVT2 Sample Is Almost There

Thanks for the reply. That’s unfortunate :frowning:
And believe me, I’ve tried :wink:

I guess the one bonus is that there are few if any laptops with the better layout so I don’t really have any alternatives :stuck_out_tongue:

This looks really nice! The only thing I think I would have preferred, from an aesthetics POV, is a 16:10 or 3:2 display to make use of the space underneath. Is there any info about what display is being used or specs?

Those switches look awesome! Honestly, I really wish the Librem 5 switches had looked like that. How much higher will they be made? I actually like them being fairly flush but obviously they need to be accessible.

Can anyone tell me what those function symbols are on F3 and F4? What do they do?

Hi @simonvanderveldt, welcome. :slight_smile: Personally, I’m used to slightly larger arrow keys, so I think I would like the Librem 14 layout. However, I do prefer those arrow keys you showed (which are small but equally sized) to the full sized left/right and mini up/down ones, which I believe the Librem 13 had. I agree that the smaller seperately placed arrow keys make it easier to find them without looking. It might be not too bad to feel though because the arrow keys are at the very bottom corner of the keyboard.

And while I’m ranting about keyboards, I must say, the Home End PageUp PageDown buttons being on the arrow keys… :ok_hand: :sparkling_heart:
I have that on my keyboard and always use it.

I’m very happy that only little tweaks remained now, so there should not be further delays: I’m looking forward for my L14.

to make it a little more clear … that is :

• 2 SATA 80mm m2 SSDs

or

• 2 NVME 80mm m2 SSDs

can be connected in software-RAID-0 (if required)
but also

• 1 SATA 80 mm m2 SSD + 1 NVME 80 mm m2 SSD can be connected to save cost .

would that be correct ?

I’ve used the renders and specifications that Purism cites on their website to determine that it is not at all possible to fit a 3:2 display in that form without major changes to make the laptop taller/longer. As for 16:10, maybe, but unlikely to work out nicely.

Oh yeah I know the display won’t be changed now. They are only fixing minor things. I was just airing one thing I would have liked to see in the laptop. But it’s not something that bothers me, just a preference.

@Kyle_Rankin can you provide a quick listing of basic parts on the L14 that CAN be replaced/upgraded easily by end users? Or even that you should be able to, in theory, over time, such as RAM, battery, hard drive, etc? I’m curious how long the laptop can be kept up to snuff for an individuals needs, assuming other non upgradable parts continue to function, by upgrading parts that you can, over time?

2 Likes

Just off the top of my head, it would be the same as our current laptops: RAM, hard drives, battery, WiFi module.

1 Like

Yes, you can mix and match the drive types.

I would be cautious about RAIDing disparate drives however. Not saying it won’t work or that you really shouldn’t do it, but you should understand the performance and other implications. Of course if you are just using the two disks as two independent volumes then no probs.

1 Like

Oops!
I wrote too early: the situation in San Francisco is worsening, anyway by three weeks of Stay at Home order starting from tomorrow, it should improve, for now industry is not involved by the new measures:
https://sfmayor.org/article/san-francisco-join-bay-area-counties-preemptively-adopt-californias-regional-stay-home-order

I doubt that Stay at Home order will effect the shipping of the Librem 14, since the shipping happens from Purism’s fulfillment center in Carlsbad, California (which is a suburb of San Diego).

2 Likes

Hope that is the case, hoping to be opening mine in 5-6 weeks or so :smiley: :crossed_fingers:

OK, according to “Where is Purism based?” FAQ, they finalize assembly in Carlsbad and

final assembly includes customizing the base hardware with any upgrades the customer ordered, flashing the boot firmware, installing the OS.

According to this list, some components are manufactured directly by Purism, including components undergoing the final tweaks (Purism Kill Switches, Keycaps, Product Color and Branding), and they should be manufactured in San Francisco:

Hopefully then, someone from Purism will chime in and give us updates on that, as often as there are changes, and if anything happening now is changing the “we will be shipping after the holidays” statement.

When Purism says a component is “Manufactured” for its PCs, it probably means that it orders some company in China to do the custom manufacturing of the component. Crunchbase has some old info on Purism that says:

The Librem 15 rev. 2 laptop with 1K screen and 4K screens is shipping. Purism manufactures its own motherboards, and the final assembly of computers is done in a secure facility in South San Francisco, USA.

However, Purism opened its Carlsbad facility after the release of the L15v2, so I assume that all the final assembly is now happening in Carlsbad. “Final assembly” probably means putting in the RAM and SSD selected by the customer for the PCs or putting in the modem selected by the customer for the Librem 5.

Here is what Purism said about the Librem 5 USA:

The Librem 5 USA is similar to our existing Librem 5 on the outside and has the same form factor and specs, but on the inside the PCBA (Printed Circuit Board Assembly) will be fabricated in the same US facility that made our Librem 5 devkits and Librem Key. By moving the supply chain into the same facility complex as our assembly and fulfillment center, we can directly oversee each stage of the production. The Librem 5 USA exists alongside our regular Librem 5 as a premium product for customers who are concerned about the hardware supply chain and want to support us as we expand our own US operations.

Purism said that the Librem 5 DevKits were “assembled and manufactured in the United States, specifically in the San Diego California area.” Purism also said that it ordered that the DevKIt’s PCBA from a “domestic factory” which was two weeks quicker than ordering it from a Chinese factory.

I think that what this means is that Purism stores the parts for the Librem 5 USA in its Carlsbad Fulfillment Center, but sends those parts to another company located in the San Diego area to manufacture the PCBA. Then, Purism will do the final assembly of the Librem 5 USA in its Carlsbad facility.

I too would appreciate it if Purism would clarify these points.

2 Likes

Hahahah poor purism. I know everyone means well and is posting because they are passionate about this laptop but:

Purism: We’re nearly totally done and finalized on the laptop.

This thread: Heres all the changes we want

My (short) opinion and view after the last blog entry.

I am disappointed that the delivery is delayed again and shocked that the expected dates do not give any guarantee. (Is January guaranteed? Or is it delayed again shortly before? No one can say it anymore.)

Of course I appreciate it when Purism does everything possible to make the Librem 14 nearly perfect and I am aware that the situation in the world does not make it easy for any company, but Purism is - in my opinion - playing too lightly with its pre-orders. And here is my biggest criticism: Why are such delays “hidden” in a blog and not simply communicated directly to the pre-orderers by email? That would be the kind of transparency I would absolutely support.

Julie

2 Likes

I use this topic for my question, because I do not want to create a new one - I am sorry :smile:

I looked at some reviews of the new Samsung 980 PRO and read that even on a laptop with PCIe 3.0 (!) it has on average faster transfer rates in benchmarks than other NVMe-SSD PCIe 3.0 compared.

This sounds plausible to me at first, because the 980 PRO generally offers higher writing and reading speeds. But does that really mean that a 980 PRO in the Librem 14 can be more worthwhile than a 970 EVO/PRO as an example? Can somebody make me smarter?

Julie

1 Like

what kind of workloads are you throwing at it ? is it heavy WRITE based ? mixed READ + WRITE ? READ focused ?

for example : bellow is not from Samsung but it doesn’t matter :

play around with the category checkboxes on the left.

https://www.westerndigital.com/product-portfolio

1 Like