New Post: My First Week of Librem 5 Convergence

That’s the one I reference in the post at the top of this thread.

2 Likes

Hi, regarding docks: I told my brother he didn’t need a dock for the laptop I’m giving him, and that docks are not as necessary as they may have been. I think he can use it is a laptop, or, connect dual monitors and bluetooth wireless keyboard, and told him so. Is that incorrect?

I just ordered a Librem 14" for myself, by the way, and a LabTop Mk IV for him. I have never seen any reference on this site or at Starlabs to docks. I can’t imagine what good having a dock would do for either of us.

Am I safe here, in the case of these two machines, or is there something I should know about docks next time I make an assumption about a computer?

I do thank you! Can’t wait for my L14 to arrive! (Just ordered it this morning.)

1 Like

Current discussion is about the phone Librem 5, which can be used as a full desktop computer if you connect it to a usb hub or a dock. Purism laptops don’t require docks of course.

1 Like

I’ve never actually used a dock, so I can’t advise, unfortunately. But here, we’re talking about a dock just for the phone to connect to, as @fsflover said above.

1 Like

Thank for both info-bits!

Thank you!

today I received this hub

Option : 8-in-1

Video 1
Video 2
Video 3
Video 4
Video 5

9 Likes

I’m using the same dock as Kyle ( Baseus GN16A ) and noticed one thing that’s a drawback for my (admittedly weird) use-case: I’ve been using the L5 as a stationary device on my desktop, not needing to take it with me. As a result I’m running it without a battery to avoid putting any wear on it for the time being.

The charger that comes with the phone powers it fine when directly plugged in, but if I run it through the Baseus dock, it won’t operate without a battery installed. Must not pass through the required amps? Not sure.

I also tried the same scenario with a Lenovo ThinkPad USB-C Dock Gen 2 (40AS0090US), and while the phone started to boot, it would stop, reset, fail, and after a few attempts, stop attempting to boot up. Kind of surprised about that one, as it can drive/power my Thinkpad fine.

Probably not something 99% of people care about, but wanted to share my battery-less L5 experiences. :smile:

4 Likes

Yeah that sounds like it’s not providing enough amperage. It does take a lot of power to drive the display and peripherals. A good dock will also be able to charge the L5 while doing this, but it won’t charge it very quickly.

1 Like

@bjm and @Lagomorph, I added your comments to the wiki: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Tested-Accessories

What ports you have tested on the hubs? Can you use the lsusb command to provide the USB ID number for your hubs?

1 Like

How does convergence feel? I mean, really feel?

@Kyle_Rankin Does the Baseus dock actually charge L5? Does it provide PD? Because the specs at some stores say something like USB-USB-C does not charge. Maybe this means something else, and I get confused.

The dock I have does indeed charge the L5 while in use. Of course driving a monitor, keyboard and mouse does require more power from the Librem 5, so while the dock does charge the L5, it charges slowly compared to charging while undocked.

1 Like

Given the L5’s weight it could well be brass already :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I ordered this one via the “official” Baseus ebay store and it was 23€ including shipping.

How did you get the red LED to stop blinking with the battery out?

purism@pureos:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 2020:2060  
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:4041 Standard Microsystems Corp. Hub and media card controller
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:2640 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 004: ID 0781:5580 SanDisk Corp. SDCZ80 Flash Drive
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 0bda:8153 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8153 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 05e3:0626 Genesys Logic, Inc. 
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 006: ID 25a4:9311  
Bus 003 Device 008: ID 1ea7:0066 SHARKOON Technologies GmbH [Mediatrack Edge Mini Keyboard]
Bus 003 Device 007: ID 13fe:3400 Kingston Technology Company Inc. 
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 05e3:0751 Genesys Logic, Inc. microSD Card Reader
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 05e3:0751 Genesys Logic, Inc. microSD Card Reader
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. Hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
purism@pureos:~$  

5 Likes

I didn’t; it blinks incessantly. At first it was distracting, but after awhile I didn’t notice it.

I just answered the same question on Matrix, so let me copy that:

there is a bq25895 register that tells it to disable the status LED
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/bq25895.pdf
page 39, REG07, bit 6 - STAT_DIS
take care though, other bits in this register seem pretty dangerous.
in any case, sudo i2cget -f -y 3 0x6a 0x07 will give you the current value of the register
and you can set a new value with sudo i2cset -f -y 3 0x6a 0x07 <VALUE>
so in this case you would read the current value, set bit 6 and write it back.
just triple check that you change the correct bit :wink:
as long as you’re sure you set the value correctly it should be fine.
it would get problematic if you, say, cleared the wrong bit and forgot about it.
and after a while it turns out that you disabled Charging Safety Timer which won’t be able to ensure safety anymore :smiley:
so, as a example:

purism@librem5:~$ sudo i2cget -f -y 3 0x6a 0x07
0x8d
purism@librem5:~$ sudo i2cset -f -y 3 0x6a 0x07 0xcd # turns STAT LED off
purism@librem5:~$ sudo i2cset -f -y 3 0x6a 0x07 0x8d # turns STAT LED back on

3 is the i2c bus number, 0x6a is the device address, and 0x07 is the register address.
the idea was that you read the current value (which turned out to be 0x8d on my device), then you set its 6th bit which results in 0xcd which you then write back to the register

5 Likes

:open_mouth:

What was that about triple checking? The example commands are correct but the associated text is erroneous - and exactly the kind of thing that you are warning about.

1 Like