New Post: Nasty Software

Have you reported this?

One of the Purism principles is “the power of defaults” and I remain firmly convinced that using WiFi in geoclue should be off by default.

Of course, for my own phone, it’s in my list of things to check / change. So no drama for me personally.

1 Like

I mentioned it on this forum in a few places. Is there somewhere better I should report it?

This all being said, although I found myself at a location where the Librem 14 and Librem 5 both felt it necessary to ping the Mozilla Location Services frequently even when idle with no applications open, more recently I’m in a different place. And I just sat doomscrolling the tcpdump log on my Librem 5 for a while and I did not see it list amazonaws traffic when idle, even though today I’m on a different Librem 5 with a different install where geoclue had not been properly tweaked nor shut down to my knowledge.

So, I’m not sure exactly what is the trigger for the system feeling the need to ping location.services.mozilla.com and sometimes it seems we are not pinging it. But in a location where we are pinging it, the traffic was fairly constant and that’s how it becomes so concerning to me.

After reading this thread and looking back at my own posts, however, I would like to say that I greatly appreciate what Purism is doing and the Librem 5, because on other mobile devices asking the machine to inform me about its internet traffic is these days not even allowed, which seems nuts. So although I can be a bit negative about something like geoclue, being able to even find and identify it is leagues beyond Android or iOS.

It’s tough for me reading the back and forth you guys were having about firmware blobs. I surely don’t want any in my computer. But it seems like, I haven’t actually put in the time to inspect the non-proprietary code of any of the firmware anyway so when I think about not wanting proprietary code in the system, I’m being ideological rather than practical. The perhaps better more practical thing for me would be if I forced myself to learn all the code in the system by forcing myself to rewrite or regurgitate it all, and yet I have not done so and will quite possibly not do so anytime soon because of the time requirement involved.

I don’t know the answer, but I know that when I use the Purism devices I feel more of sound mind than when I do not use Purism devices. So please stay motivated, even in the face of adversity.

3 Likes

You would raise an Issue. But you would need an account to do that. So you would first apply for an account if you don’t already have one. Any existing Issue will give you the link to do so e.g. Secondary call disconnecting kills audio on established/primary call (#311) · Issues · Librem5 / OS-issues · GitLab (top right corner)

2 Likes