New Post: The Ball and Supply Chain

Speaking of availability of chips, I’m selling an antique printer interface board on ebay. Per my own description:

… **It contains three Zilog Speaking of availability of chips, I’m selling an antique printer interface board on ebay. Per my own description:

… It contains three Zilog Z-80 chips*

• Z-80 CPU
  • Z-80 CTC (Counter Timer Channel)
  • Z-80 DART (Dual Asynchronous Receiver-Transmitter)

So I looked up other Zilog Z80 chips on ebay, you can get a single chip for 5 bucks upwards of up to “kits” for 50 bucks.

Yes I know this thread is about new and modern chips, you can’t build a new laptop or a cell phone these says with a Z80, (at least I don’t think you can) I digressed to entertain. you may go back to worrying about the supply chain now.

Addendum. I found the manual for this card. Includes schematics down to the component level and the definition of the pins.

eBay item reference
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133768487734

For me, supporting this project is not an option. I need to get rid of the Google jail that I am willing to make do with just phone calls and text support.

Everything else is a nice to have, I just need to be free.

I appreciate the updates and would encourage Purism to think more updates are better.

3 Likes

That’s why I got my wife a flip style Jitterbug. Although she had to get used to pressing numbers in repetitive sequence to get the 2nd and 3rd lletter on a key. The support is good, there’s always a human being at the toll free number. Although it is probably tied to the droid system, it is so different you don’t notice it, there are no intrusive ads and the carrier isn’t giving you status texts about your bill at any hour.

Accepted. Therefore please take a look at: “5 Reasons Why the World is Running out of Chips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SREbl7Mpw2g”.

You could be a very wonderful husband and for Christmas you could get her a deGoogled Pixel 4a with GrapheneOS on it. I know where you can get one very reasonably priced. I upgraded to a Pixel 5 with Graphene and just got ahold of a used (shelfsitter) Librem 5.

Good News?

TrendForce believes that 7/6nm capacity utilization rate will decline marginally to 95~99% in 2H22 due to product mix conversion, while 5/4nm processes will remain near full load, driven by several new products.

The I.MX8M is an older one and have 8 nm right? So it might be that there is no relaxation on that Market. Cause it will be used on Cars too. Yes is not sure that this will solve the Supply Chain issues, cause what today was the CPU could tomorrow be another part, or just shipping the cpus over the ocean.

I would want to share that small good news, like a candle in the wind.

3 Likes

I think imx8 is build on the 28nm process node, although info on the net is scarce.

2 Likes

Yes, very good one, thanks for sharing!

According to the link you provided here the i.MX 8M processor is produced within the 12-inch fabs: “The same situation has also occurred in mature 12-inch processes. However, since 12-inch products are more diverse and their production cycle generally takes at least one quarter, coupled with upgrades to some product specifications, trends such as process transition have not been affected by broader short-term economic fluctuations. As a result, overall production capacity utilization rate can still be maintained at a high operational watermark of approximately 95%. Compared with operating rates that easily hit 100% in the past two years, production line operation has gradually normalized and stabilized, demonstrating a steady balancing of resource allocation.

As directly related:

Recent NXP® official overview is here (as always): https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/supporting-information/IMX8LAYERCMPR.pdf.

1 Like

I just hope that this crisis will solved for you too, soon. But you are right the article do not mention 28nm. Only:

According to TrendForce research, the capacity utilization rate of eight-inch nodes (including 0.35-0.11μm) may decline the most.

I just hope 0.28μm include this. And yes, i am still not sure about. And the prediction of that economic expert just talk about the last half of 2022. I just wanted to share some kind of hope.

1 Like