News regarding Librem5 on Chaos Communication Camp 2019

The L5 having a rugged frame, that would be it !!!

2 Likes

@Tatatirci & @amosbatto :
Thanks to you for your feedback, this is exactly the kind of feedback I like: argued, and we understand that technically, it is difficult to do better today. I fully understand the technical side of this problem, while I don’t understand its communication side.

My opinion is due to a bad-surprise effect: at the moment of crowdfunding, considering the thinness/quality of their laptops, we expects a “standard-like design” FOSS smartphone. A statement from Ms. Nicole, Mr. Todd, or the F.A.Q. could have better prepared to accept this form-factor (for instance, the F.A.Q. mentions that it is neither Android, nor iOS, something people need to be prepared). An absence of this design information could provoke to a not appealing phone in the reviews which could lead to a “Librem 5 = smartphone for geeks only, ready for a design trade-off”.

To conclude, it’s a compromise I can accept in order to have a FOSS smartphone, but I really hope that in its design, it will be at least very robust (full metal) and with a good grip (shapely speaking) despite the thickness.

3 Likes

Had something like that… Librem 5 vs. Brexit (fun poll)

Well, this was absolutely not known back at the time.

4 Likes

So is the battery going to be in the lower part of the phone? I thought they said they wanted to place the battery between the screen and the PCB.

1 Like

Yes, the sandwich idea is actually in the post I quoted above. I guess later it turned out that the other approach is superior. I’m pretty certain that a bulky battery is more space efficient than a flat one, as it should have a better shell/content ratio. The accessibility of all components is probably also better in the new approach.

5 Likes

Then again, you could make it thinner but really large in width/length. :wink:

Is there a defined size limit to what you can call a phone? :thinking:

1 Like

That’s why the Sony Compact series are the thickest flagships on the market

1 Like

That and better thermal dissipation for the CPU, and a cooler battery means a longer life for the battery.

3 Likes

That would actually be nice drop 4 enloop AAs in there at 2000mAh each. Now if only they set it up to allow hot swapping in pairs.

1 Like

I’ve muted this thread because I’m tired of all this which has less to zero to do with the subject.

AAs might not fit (see earlier post), but having two batteries and how swapping is an interesting idea regardless. I did a search and Phillips (I think, maybe) had a phone that had a bulge for one AA in addition to its normal battery - for backup/extended power source. Not a smartphone though. Unfortunetely for AA and AAA lovers (and D-cell freaks), I think powerbanks have taken over for now. For those too, an additional usb-port would have been nice.

The i.MX 8M supports two USB ports, but I doubt that the wires are available on the board to solder on a second port. However, you could daisy chain a second port with the existing port. I would love to someone making mods like that.

1 Like

Thank you, I have replied in the topic that you have linked

I went to the page where downloading the image is explained. It says on https://developer.puri.sm/Librem5/Development_Environment/Boards/qemu.html

Linux Environments

1. Go to the Image Build page on the CI server.
  2. Find the most recent successful (green colored) qemu-x86_64 build in the Build History column on the left-hand side of the page. Clicking on the link for that build will take you to a page containing a suitable qemu-x86_64.qcow2 image file.

I did so, but on the Jenkins server https://arm01.puri.sm/job/Images/job/Image%20Build/2039/ there is no file qemu-x86_64
only something named devkit.img.xz

What do I wrong?

Try the previous build, #2038, which built the x86_64 version

1 Like

I (too) will absolutely take a look at the innards and see what could be done, port included.

But as a backup plan, I might use something like this(ports on the sides), possibly even as an ugly hot-glue attachment. And, as horrible as that sounds (barely constitutes a hack, never mind the aesthetics), it would also provide a wear-n-tear protection for the actual port in the long run - a discardable middle piece.

Untitled2

For future though… Since the speakers and usb are in a separate piece, as it seems… that could be upgradable (provided, user mods the case to provide openings for ports), couldn’t it?

2 Likes

_4rDq7juQbc

8 Likes

Librem 5 - “enabling weight training since 2019”.

4 Likes

Librem 5 - “A phone to be seen with”
Librem 5 - “Size is a security feature - just try to snatch and run”
Librem 5 - “Shields you from the evils”
Librem 5 - “With a phone this big they know you’re not compensating for anything”
… it’s been a long day :grin:

4 Likes

Librem 5 - “size does matter since 2019”

1 Like