No more ethernet port?

Also the Librems were marketed as flosh (is that a used term?) that is friendly to (for instance) user-serviceable upgrades — basically good-faith, non-warranty-voiding hacking (aka customisation). So details ought to be very available and gladly offered. Tony is right that they were supposed to be ideal for non-technical users too, but that really just means good UI and sensible defaults.

Heya, got my hands on a test 15" unit:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Skylake Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 08)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 520 (rev 07)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Skylake Processor Thermal Subsystem (rev 08)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 21)
00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Thermal subsystem (rev 21)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 21)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev f1)
00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #9 (rev f1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 21)
00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PMC (rev 21)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio (rev 21)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus (rev 21)
00:1f.5 Non-VGA unclassified device: Intel Corporation Device 9d24 (rev 21)
01:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
02:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller

As for what exactly the camera is connected to, I have no idea personally. I’m not a hardware/PCB designer.

2 Likes

The camera is connected to USB. If you are worried about the camera being hijacked, there is a hardware killswitch against that. As for persistent code in the controller firmware, I don’t think that’s possible since the there is no firmware for usb controllers that I could see (at least, on Intel, I believe there is usb firmware on AMD systems). I might be wrong baout that though.

2 Likes

Perhaps a PCMCIA/ExpressCard/something-else slot would help enable an ethernet port on future Librem products?

1 Like

Miaden, are you saying that the adapter I just purchased is not necessary to safely use internet? I thought that wifi is not safe, even though there is a kill switch… I just emailed you because my wired internet server is not working on my librem…

1 Like

I am curious to know if there is a Purism endorsed ethernet port to buy? I do need one for my 15" librem as well and am looking for recommendations.

Purism stand for freedom/libre computing standards. do non tech savy people deserve freedom ? no - they should feel left out and seek shelter under the warm sun of walled off gardens.

moving on.

about the ethernet port issue. what is the situation on the L15v3 (mine is the latest 5th batch) ? it has an onboard pcie nic for wired ethernet connection but not an rj-45 port on the side of the chasis ? is it 10/100/1000 ?

later edit: confusion between Librem 15 fifth batch and Librem 15v5. thought that the “v” at the end stands for the batch number not the version. i suppose there couldn’t have been 5 versions in such a small amount of time. so yeah v3 is the latest at this moment.

1 Like

We are considering RJ-45 port for the next models (v4).

5 Likes

I would like to second the general feedback expressed here about the lack of an ethernet port. This seems like an odd decision for something that is marketed as a desktop replacement (librem 15).

Speaking for myself, I wouldn’t mind sacrificing the space used by one USB port in order to have an RJ45 connector and built-in, “real”, convenient ethernet.

I wouldn’t miss the extra USB port because when at home I have on the desk a small USB hub for external keyboard and mouse anyway (makes it faster to disconnect and go, if nothing else).

Four USB ports is still a reasonable spec for this size of laptop.

2 Likes

I dont see RJ45 port in v4 aswell. Appreciate if you know the reason & can share with us

Thanks!

hello, i would like to use ethernet on my librem 15 , which usb3 ethernet adapter is recommended that anyone has used and what is the summary of the drop in security if using such a device

This post here Terrible WiFi performance with Librem13, Librem15 talks about one such adapter that apparently works well and gives good performance.

1 Like

great thx , i will order one of that type

Just to confirm the adapter operates perfectly

1 Like

Would something like this also work for the Librem 13 v4?:

I need to hook my librem on ethernet because the wifi at work is shitty.

Yes, it should work :slight_smile:

Conversely, please report here whether it works or not.

Thanks, I’ll let you know if it doesn’t work for sure!

You should also let us know if it does work - as people are always looking for recommendations for a device that someone has already checked out to see how well it works with Linux / specifically PureOS.

1 Like

hello, I’m using a startech usb3 to gigabit ethernet adaptor USB31000S on my L15 and its worked perfectly without a hitch

1 Like